Uninterruptible Power Supply for M1 MacBook Pro 14" & Apple Studio Display - Advice Needed

Currently I have a UPS which sits on the floor due to space restrictions. It's a CyberPower 1500VA. Bought it about five years ago and it has been great, though perhaps overkill. In my defense at the time of purchasing I had a custom gaming PC, though that had a 10th gen i5 extreme and a 1050ti so perhaps still overkill. lol My set up has greatly changed as I've switched eco-systems and now I'm currently employing as daily drivers and have for some time. I need a UPS which can support and fit in the following:

1. M1 14" MacBook Pro
  2. Intel Core i7 16" MacBook Pro
  3. An Apple Studio Display (there is also an array of things plugged into the display which I've attached photos of)
    1. Apple Super Drive
    2. 2TB External SSD
    3. A MagSafe charger for my iPhone and Apple Watch (which I often use while working)
    4. A USB dock
  4. An old HP Printer
  5. A desk fan
  6. A pencil sharpener
  7. My Energizer AA/AAA battery charger
  8. A universal laptop charger (this gets used whenever I have a laptop which needs to be restored that does not come with its original charger, otherwise I use the original charger, so occasionally there is a third laptop)

I need it to fit into a cubby on my desk with the following measurements

Width: 17 3/8"

Height: 3 1/2"

Depth: 23 3/8"

The reason for those size restrictions is I want it off the ground but not taking up any desk space or noticeable, so I wish to put it into a small side cubby on my L shaped desk. For that reason I was thinking of going with a rack unit and considering my CyberPower one has continued to work without issue, I thought I'd go with them again. I was considering the following unit:

https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-OR500LCDRM1U-System-Outlets-Rackmount/dp/B000XJLLKG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=6EZQQY594P84&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.A0cUP8zfZTSHPK5mT_pHFHXAum1bmtz96nin2c1_ZG63742obKs_cJrO0F5gHsuWLUrKqB5w1AesCU92uSF_KtgxJL4hGKrJOex4bwmJQ8XHCRMjc8T0xZnGilLqnsqNmnU6g197AQSkIC08biHzPME9HBW1x-2YdY2aXtnpCAestYtu4QSxQjZIiMvCg8Td-SP7FJflvQvI2lTkOfwmiXzLlZwolhqk9XMhfiug8Ok.hJvYW_2uO8EW3zxUNUmQLeHl_RBTyM-wJwM1o2WU3Mg&dib_tag=se&keywords=UPS&qid=1710887546&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin%3A32912132011|32912137011%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A109332549011&rnid=109332465011&s=pc&sprefix=up%2Celectronics%2C106&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

My questions are the following:

1. Will this unit be sufficient in making sure that my devices are protected against potential electrical surges?
  2. Will this unit be able to provide sufficient power for up to 60 minutes during a power outage?
  3. Are there better or more compatible options which you would recommend that I utilize instead?

Note: The Studio Display image is outdated as it doesn't have the Super Drive or the MagSafe charger. The Super Drive is mounted so that when the back faces the wall the opening of the drive while hidden faces the right hand side and is easily accessible and the MagSafe charger is connected via a USB C cable and sits on my desk, allowing me to drop off my iPhone and Apple Watch for charging while working. 

IMG_3523.jpg.d22e10f38e15dc164b5fa8c4bf24a574.jpg

- Angela Hornung

7 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

I need it to fit into a cubby on my desk with the following measurements

A ups needs ventilation. Why not just attach what you have with a bracket to the underside of your desk? Like 2 metal u hooks or whatever from the hardware store so it hangs under the desk and done.

18 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

My questions are the following:

1. Will this unit be sufficient in making sure that my devices are protected against potential electrical surges?
  2. Will this unit be able to provide sufficient power for up to 60 minutes during a power outage?
  3. Are there better or more compatible options which you would recommend that I utilize instead?

1. Barely/niot really

2. maybe 5 minutes

3. yes what you ahve

53 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A ups needs ventilation. Why not just attach what you have with a bracket to the underside of your desk? Like 2 metal u hooks or whatever from the hardware store so it hangs under the desk and done.

1. Barely/niot really

2. maybe 5 minutes

3. yes what you ahve

A bracket isn't a horrible idea but does add a fair bit of expense. My current UPS despite lasting 60 minutes has no fan. Also there are wire grommet holes in the rear of the desk allowing for some airflow. 

- Angela Hornung

7 minutes ago, AngelaHornung said:

A bracket isn't a horrible idea but does add a fair bit of expense. My current UPS despite lasting 60 minutes has no fan. Also there are wire grommet holes in the rear of the desk allowing for some airflow. 

It's cheaper than a whole new ups?

Like https://www.amazon.com/HumanCentric-Adjustable-SFF-Computer-Mount/dp/B084RMHT65/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1H2G7RGD5WJZ7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jbL15ydSmiEWy42wmF22omsvPzWCKoGY1LZhJ7e12GtJm6-OxVnTAmDscVPqjp-VuB7vMbWHHHX7WKAIBBvp4EntDvDlbl03V9lRJRWfni7n47QFX0aW6-KtPx-teiTZ1cVMgCkiHt2-EU3WCviwKmvHL6WspMFF1tdvnQDmeDzJsPlHstlsTkj0RxnRoAPh6knqsH4jcl59pG2FN_xYUUAULgwfil80fDEY_A2tkF4.a3fFS4UiKxivAFVbZdK_UC7Bho4UBGfMLzu1RU-qE_A&dib_tag=se&keywords=pc+desk+holder&qid=1710893852&sprefix=pc+desk+hold%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-11

This is a generic thing or you literally get some 5$ metal hangers from the hardware store.

I simply recommend you use what you have as it is simply far better than what could be gotten for the small space. It is a ups it doesn't need to be visible at all it can simply be hidden anywhere.

12 hours ago, jaslion said:

It's cheaper than a whole new ups?

Like https://www.amazon.com/HumanCentric-Adjustable-SFF-Computer-Mount/dp/B084RMHT65/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1H2G7RGD5WJZ7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jbL15ydSmiEWy42wmF22omsvPzWCKoGY1LZhJ7e12GtJm6-OxVnTAmDscVPqjp-VuB7vMbWHHHX7WKAIBBvp4EntDvDlbl03V9lRJRWfni7n47QFX0aW6-KtPx-teiTZ1cVMgCkiHt2-EU3WCviwKmvHL6WspMFF1tdvnQDmeDzJsPlHstlsTkj0RxnRoAPh6knqsH4jcl59pG2FN_xYUUAULgwfil80fDEY_A2tkF4.a3fFS4UiKxivAFVbZdK_UC7Bho4UBGfMLzu1RU-qE_A&dib_tag=se&keywords=pc+desk+holder&qid=1710893852&sprefix=pc+desk+hold%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-11

This is a generic thing or you literally get some 5$ metal hangers from the hardware store.

I simply recommend you use what you have as it is simply far better than what could be gotten for the small space. It is a ups it doesn't need to be visible at all it can simply be hidden anywhere.

Thank you, this seems like a really good suggestion. I'm going to take a look at the brackets, though I'm wondering if I can get one which sits it horizontal rather than vertical. That way I can't see it. Thank you for the link. 🙂

- Angela Hornung