Two Systems, One Result

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

1 hour ago, ThundyUK said:

is the 6600 a lot better than the 2500 or just as good, or worse?

The i5 6600 will perform better than the i5 2500k and will support DDR4 memory, PCIe 3.0, and depending on the board M.2 NVMe boot storage.

Hello there,

Given some recent events I'm re-tooling a bit. i'm not a major gamer, and am happy to run on old hardware.

Anyway, I've been running the legendary i5-2500k for a decade, and I'm just thinking about ditching it. I've got an i5-6600 set up that just did some casual game server-ing till about a year ago.

I'm thinking of ditching the 2500k system and moving to the 6600 system - yeh I know, both are old, don't support Win11, and all that, but I'm just wondering is the 6600 a lot better than the 2500 or just as good, or worse?

Hard to draw some direct comparisons in my head.

Any thoughts on how much better or worse they are verses each other?

Ta

1 minute ago, ThundyUK said:

eh I know, both are old, don't support Win11

Windows 10 EOF is coming very soon unless your going to move to Linux which is imo the best option to get all the performance out and you can play many popular games. I would make a budget gaming build if you could afford it. 

Just now, goatedpenguin said:

Windows 10 EOF is coming very soon unless your going to move to Linux which is imo the best option to get all the performance out and you can play many popular games. I would make a budget gaming build if you could afford it. 

Do you think that M$ will really do this, given that they'll force obsolescence of so many PCs in the world? Such a big move, and totally OT but you raise a big point.

Yep they are going to start a new thing in windows 11 I believe known as "Hot patching" which is basically Updates in the background without having to restart and close everything down etc. That is probably going to "voluntarily"(or not) make people migrate to windows 11. Linux has been growing significantly and has been more welcoming to newcomers from windows and OSX. 

Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft. Rufus boot drive creator. Look it up.

You can run Windows 11 on the 2500 or 6600. Damn the TPM2.0 requirements!!!

Do note that if you do the workaround @johnt said, than you won't be able to play games like Valorant which require tpm 2.0 in windows 11 and there might be newer games with that requirement too. Not to mention you may run into compatibility issues with various programs as well as Windows Defender System Guard (DRTM) only if you are using windows 11

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory.

1 hour ago, ThundyUK said:

is the 6600 a lot better than the 2500 or just as good, or worse?

The i5 6600 will perform better than the i5 2500k and will support DDR4 memory, PCIe 3.0, and depending on the board M.2 NVMe boot storage.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, goatedpenguin said:

Do note that if you do the workaround @johnt said, than you won't be able to play games like Valorant which require tpm 2.0 in windows 11 and there might be newer games with that requirement too.

... Can you play Valorant on Linux? You didn't bring that up when you recommended Linux so why bring it up now when somebody recommended Windows 11?

OP asked which of two CPUs are better and you come in telling them to switch to Linux. Don't be that annoying Linux user that goes around everywhere telling people to use Linux when they aren't even asking about it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@Spotty I had forgotten that windows 11 could even be installed on a tpm 2.0 less system until @johnt recommend the workaround hence, why I had offered to use Linux since windows 10's end of life is very close and what else would he use?(unless he is fine with no security patches etc.). After seeing the workaround given I explained that it would still not be possible to play and use some games and programs like valorant, because of the tpm 2.0 restriction. You really should not label people without analyzing the whole situation. And to respond to OP's question: i5-6600 leaves the i5-2500k in dust. 

got a z170 that has a bclk bios? non k skylake can be oced via bclk on z170 usually to 4.6-4.8ghz

though id just sell both systems or atleast both cpu + mobo + ram combos and get a used 3100/3300x/3500(x) for ~30$ or a 3600(x) for ~50$ and a used b3/450 like the gaming plus/tomahawk for ~50$ or less which will obliterate both the 2500k and 6600 even if they are overclocked, you even get an upgrade path to a 5800x3d (200-250$ used)

23 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

@Spotty I had forgotten that windows 11 could even be installed on a tpm 2.0 less system until @johnt recommend the workaround hence, why I had offered to use Linux since windows 10's end of life is very close and what else would he use?(unless he is fine with no security patches etc.). After seeing the workaround given I explained that it would still not be possible to play and use some games and programs like valorant, because of the tpm 2.0 restriction. You really should not label people without analyzing the whole situation. And to respond to OP's question: i5-6600 leaves the i5-2500k in dust. 

Skylake (i5 6600) supports TPM 2.0. Microsoft's decision to not support Skylake CPUs for Windows 11 is not related to TPM support. Microsoft just did not add Skylake to the approved CPU list. I'm not sure if Microsoft ever gave an official reason for not including them.

Microsoft is still supporting Windows 10 until October 2025. End of Life for Windows 10 is over 18 months away. Not "very soon" like you claim. It's not like Windows 10 is going to become unusable after that date, it just won't receive further security patches. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Microsoft is not going to force install Windows 11 on systems that do not support it.

Just now, Spotty said:

Microsoft is still supporting Windows 10 until October 2025. End of Life for Windows 10 is over 18 months away. Not "very soon" like you claim. It's not like Windows 10 is going to become unusable after that date, it just won't receive further security patches. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Microsoft is not going to force install Windows 11 on systems that do not support it.

and then theres w10 ltsc that gets support till 2032 iirc which is what i run so no bloat + extra security updates

just waiting for w11 ltsc then id consider making the jump cause w11 looks even more horrific than regular w10 with the bloat

30 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Skylake (i5 6600) supports TPM 2.0. Microsoft's decision to not support Skylake CPUs for Windows 11 is not related to TPM support. Microsoft just did not add Skylake to the approved CPU list. I'm not sure if Microsoft ever gave an official reason for not including them.

Thanks for informing and correcting me 🙂 

2 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Do note that if you do the workaround @johnt said, than you won't be able to play games like Valorant which require tpm 2.0 in windows 11 and there might be newer games with that requirement too. Not to mention you may run into compatibility issues with various programs as well as Windows Defender System Guard (DRTM) only if you are using windows 11

Hey I don't play Valorant. There is no way I would have known this lol

But I'm curious what they do for those playing on Windows 10? Seems weird to require it on Windows 11, but you would support the hardware if it was on Windows 10. Bizarre. 

37 minutes ago, johnt said:

But I'm curious what they do for those playing on Windows 10? Seems weird to require it on Windows 11, but you would support the hardware if it was on Windows 10. Bizarre. 

IDK maybe they just want to maximise security for their games by taking advantage to those who have tpm 2.0 which are most valo players who use windows 11. 

Thanks for the help everyone, and the interesting discussion 🙂

I learned a lot, even the OT stuff was great.