Why are so many apps not optimized for Ipad/tablets

So often when downloading an app on my Ipad pro 11 inch, it either doesn't fill out the screen completely, or it just uses the mobile phone version of the app, which you can then scale to fill the screen, sort of, but it works so poorly.

Why is this still such a big issue?

3 minutes ago, kasdashd said:

So often when downloading an app on my Ipad pro 11 inch, it either doesn't fill out the screen completely, or it just uses the mobile phone version of the app, which you can then scale to fill the screen, sort of, but it works so poorly.

Why is this still such a big issue?

Because the phone to tablet ratio is off the charts and developers be lazy.

Virtually everyone has a phone, I know almost no one with a tablet.

There's just not as much demand sadly. I've often been shocked by how weak the tablet ecosystem is.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Lack of demand is the reason. I'd also argue that even if there would be a wider audience that use tablets, if the app is totally fine even on an iPad without being optimized, the developer may not see much advantage to it, especially if people still use it. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I wish app developers would let us users decide which interface to use. Phone interfaces generally are kind of useless compared to tablet interfaces. I get so tired of trying to figure out at which DPI setting I can trigger the tablet interface for apps on my phone. 

I have an iPad but I find I never use it... on-the-go = phone, travel/around the house = laptop, at your desk = desktop PC.

In 2024, there's really no need for a tablet or iPad when you have fast Windows PCs or even MacBooks that are a similar price and more practical. Peak iPad was a few years ago, maybe 2018 or 19, but Apple has gone downhill with their tablets because iPadOS is starting to be like macOS, and macOS is becoming iPadOS. Soon the two will be blended, basically the same, and there will be no reason to get an iPad. 

So because people are starting to not buy/use tablets and iPads, the devs don't care and release mobile versions that just get scaled up to an iPad screen size. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Almost like Vision Pro apps - because the tech is so new, most apps won't have a "Vision Pro" version yet and you'll have to use the iPad version instead. It's just the developers being lazy. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Tablets are essentially phones with a big screen.

And the big screen being pretty much the only advantage it has.

Big screen for games, watching video, reading, and drawing

Better to look at which particular use case you find to be lacking, and look for alternative apps or ways to improve your experience.

I know for sure the iPad screen ratio leaves big black bars when watching standard videos and a comical amount of wasted screen space when watching wider than normal films. To that end, there is no benefit to be using an iPad over a cheaper 16:10 or 16:9 android tablet

Because creating an iPad UI requires creating an entirely separate UI usually (at least for iOS). You can reuse some aspects of your iPhone UI, but generally the two don't really work together due to the wildly different aspect ratios.

elephants

• 3 weeks later...

Most developers won't see a ROI from developing a proper tablet size UI. Also tablets, using iPad as example, range from 8inch to nearly 13", and would benefit a lot from having different UI designs for different screen sizes.

There are good iPad apps out there, but they tend to be apps that don't make a ton of sense on a phone (like photo editing and drawing).