MSI MPG B650 Edge Wifi no post

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
14 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

Its been over ten minutes now, and the BIOS LED, instead of blinking and staying on eternally, is now blinking eternally, as is the light on my USB indicating it's being read.

Maybe I'm being impatient here, but I thought this was supposed to only take like 2-5 minutes, I have a feeling this might not be working properly

I'd give it a few more minutes (though by the time I finish typing this it's likely the time I'd say it's probably failed), but if it is failing BIOS Flashback your only real course of action would be to contact MSI and see if they can give you some more troubleshooting steps. 

2-5 minutes is about the average, though I have heard of it taking longer in some cases. Given it's still having the flash drive be read, there's a decent chance that's what's going on here. It's also possible it's crashed and will need to be restarted, and if it hasn't finished by the 30 minute mark I'd likely call it a failure, cycle the PSU and try again.

I built a new PC last month and everything went alright, but recently I tried to install more of the exact same ram, and as soon as I enabled EXPO, it began to fail to post. Fans and the cooler turn on, and all the RBG, even the ram, light up. The CPU and Mem Debug lights pop on for a few seconds, which its always done, but after that, nothing. Post is not performed, fans don't ramp up, or stop for that matter, and I get no display of course.

I cleared CMOS, and still the problem persists. When I try to flash BIOS, the BIOS LED flashes for a little bit, then stays on perpetually. (USB 2.0 FAT32 8GB MBR) Anyone got any ideas on anything mentioned? I'm kinda stumped

Should mention Ive tried every possible configuration for the RAM, using old and new, all individual sticks, all slots, etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3D

Mobo: MSI MPG B650 EDGE WIFI

RAM: G. SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB DDR5-6400 16GB x 4

2 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

I built a new PC last month and everything went alright, but recently I tried to install more of the exact same ram, and as soon as I enabled EXPO, it began to fail to post. Fans and the cooler turn on, and all the RBG, even the ram, light up. The CPU and Mem Debug lights pop on for a few seconds, which its always done, but after that, nothing. Post is not performed, fans don't ramp up, or stop for that matter, and I get no display of course.

I cleared CMOS, and still the problem persists. When I try to flash BIOS, the BIOS LED flashes for a little bit, then stays on perpetually. Anyone got any ideas on anything mentioned? I'm kinda stumped

Should mention Ive tried every possible configuration for the RAM, using old and new, all individual sticks, all slots, etc.

How long did you wait? AM5 needs memory training on first post so that can take some time. In some cases even 10 or more minutes.

7 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

When I try to flash BIOS, the BIOS LED flashes for a little bit, then stays on perpetually.

That usually means BIOS Flashback couldn't find the appropriate file and therefore failed. This could be anything from the drive not being setup correctly (not named correctly, not in the root of the drive, and/or not in FAT32) to the motherboard not liking the flash drive (this can happen). I'd double check that it's setup just like the motherboard manual calls for, and if it is try getting a different flash drive (older USB 2.0 drives tend to be more reliable for BIOS Flashback). 

9 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

I will mention that this config will cause trouble for you. 4x16GB is pretty sketchy, and while you can get it to work if you know what you're doing and find a BIOS revision that works for it (4 DIMM support gets broken every other BIOS update it seems), it's not easy and pretty much never worth it. Second, 6400MT/s on AMD doesn't make sense since you'd be in 2:1 mode by default (terrible for memory performance) and if you want 1:1 mode so it's actually faster than 6000 CL30, you need to hope you get lucky with the CPU (it's about 50/50 whether an AM5 chip works at 6400 in 1:1 mode) and likely need to do a bit of manual tuning to make it stable. 

If you can return that new kit, do so and either stick to 32GB as it's likely adequate for your needs or upgrade to a 2x32GB kit and sell your current 2x16GB kit. Given you're struggling to get the system to POST with a single stick right now, it's not your main issue, but it's one you'll run into. 

As @Naijin said, make sure you're giving it enough time to POST as it can take a while (though for a single stick it should be ~30-60 seconds, not a 3+ minutes). Assuming you are, verify that the Clear CMOS actually applied, as it was an issue on the earlier BIOS revisions that some boards would not clear the CMOS unless the PSU was powered off, so I'd disconnect the PSU from the wall, wait a few seconds, then pull the CMOS battery for a minute or so to make sure it's actually cleared, then try again with a single stick. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That usually means BIOS Flashback couldn't find the appropriate file and therefore failed. This could be anything from the drive not being setup correctly (not named correctly, not in the root of the drive, and/or not in FAT32) to the motherboard not liking the flash drive (this can happen). I'd double check that it's setup just like the motherboard manual calls for, and if it is try getting a different flash drive (older USB 2.0 drives tend to be more reliable for BIOS Flashback). 

I will mention that this config will cause trouble for you. 4x16GB is pretty sketchy, and while you can get it to work if you know what you're doing and find a BIOS revision that works for it (4 DIMM support gets broken every other BIOS update it seems), it's not easy and pretty much never worth it. Second, 6400MT/s on AMD doesn't make sense since you'd be in 2:1 mode by default (terrible for memory performance) and if you want 1:1 mode so it's actually faster than 6000 CL30, you need to hope you get lucky with the CPU (it's about 50/50 whether an AM5 chip works at 6400 in 1:1 mode) and likely need to do a bit of manual tuning to make it stable. 

If you can return that new kit, do so and either stick to 32GB as it's likely adequate for your needs or upgrade to a 2x32GB kit and sell your current 2x16GB kit. Given you're struggling to get the system to POST with a single stick right now, it's not your main issue, but it's one you'll run into. 

As @Naijin said, make sure you're giving it enough time to POST as it can take a while (though for a single stick it should be ~30-60 seconds, not a 3+ minutes). Assuming you are, verify that the Clear CMOS actually applied, as it was an issue on the earlier BIOS revisions that some boards would not clear the CMOS unless the PSU was powered off, so I'd disconnect the PSU from the wall, wait a few seconds, then pull the CMOS battery for a minute or so to make sure it's actually cleared, then try again with a single stick. 

The ram Is not the issue, I believe, as I currently only have the same 32 GB in there I had to begin with, and I let it sit on for like an hour or so while on still nothing. And I had it unplugged from wall, psu switch off, battery disconnected for 4 hours. The only problem I can think of is my BIOS reverted to a version incompatible with my CPU. My drive is a USB 2.0 fat32 8gb in MBR format with MSI.ROM being the only thing on it. But I know it can be very picky with the drives, but it kinda seems like this one should be perfect. Thank you for the advice about the ram though. Just switched to amd for the first time and was unaware of that issue. Amazons pretty lax with returns so I can probably send this back, I don't need the ram I just had an Amazon gift card and figured I'd fill the empty slots lol.

Edited by sanctumrepublic

42 minutes ago, Naijin said:

How long did you wait? AM5 needs memory training on first post so that can take some time. In some cases even 10 or more minutes.

I waited about an hour for both the POST, and again for the BIOS Flashback (which the light blinked for 30 seconds and stayed solid the rest of the time)

52 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

I cleared CMOS, and still the problem persists. When I try to flash BIOS, the BIOS LED flashes for a little bit, then stays on perpetually. (USB 2.0 FAT32 8GB MBR with ONLY MSI.ROM) on it Anyone got any ideas on anything mentioned? I'm kinda stumped

I should mention, when I try another drive I have, the BIOS light flashes forever. And when I put all four stick in both the CPU And Mem lights STAY on perpetually

21 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

The only problem I can think of is my BIOS reverted to a version incompatible with my CPU.

That is not physically possible on a motherboard without dual BIOS. The only thing close to this that might have happened is the BIOS Flashback corrupted, but that's incredibly rare. 

29 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

My drive is a USB 2.0 fat32 8gb in MBR format with MSI.ROM being the only thing on it. But I know it can be very picky with the drives, but it kinda seems like this one should be perfect

That drive should work, weird. I have seen it before where it won't reflash the BIOS with BIOS flashback, so it might be worth trying to go to a revision earlier and see if it does something then. 

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That is not physically possible on a motherboard without dual BIOS. The only thing close to this that might have happened is the BIOS Flashback corrupted, but that's incredibly rare. 

That drive should work, weird. I have seen it before where it won't reflash the BIOS with BIOS flashback, so it might be worth trying to go to a revision earlier and see if it does something then. 

Can you clarify that second part? What do you mean?

18 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

Can you clarify that second part? What do you mean?

The flash drive you're using should work with BIOS Flashback, it's weird that it isn't. 

BIOS Flashback sometimes has a limitation where it cannot flash the same BIOS revision that is currently installed on the motherboard. You can account for this by trying to install 1 revision earlier than you are currently using, this way it is a different BIOS revision than what is currently installed an therefore BIOS Flashback will run. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The flash drive you're using should work with BIOS Flashback, it's weird that it isn't. 

BIOS Flashback sometimes has a limitation where it cannot flash the same BIOS revision that is currently installed on the motherboard. You can account for this by trying to install 1 revision earlier than you are currently using, this way it is a different BIOS revision than what is currently installed an therefore BIOS Flashback will run. 

Thank you I'll try this right away and get back to you

22 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Its been over ten minutes now, and the BIOS LED, instead of blinking and staying on eternally, is now blinking eternally, as is the light on my USB indicating it's being read.

Maybe I'm being impatient here, but I thought this was supposed to only take like 2-5 minutes, I have a feeling this might not be working properly

14 minutes ago, sanctumrepublic said:

I'd give it a few more minutes (though by the time I finish typing this it's likely the time I'd say it's probably failed), but if it is failing BIOS Flashback your only real course of action would be to contact MSI and see if they can give you some more troubleshooting steps. 

2-5 minutes is about the average, though I have heard of it taking longer in some cases. Given it's still having the flash drive be read, there's a decent chance that's what's going on here. It's also possible it's crashed and will need to be restarted, and if it hasn't finished by the 30 minute mark I'd likely call it a failure, cycle the PSU and try again.

Thank you, I'll contact them, and see what they can do for me. I was really hoping I could troubleshoot it myself but hey, it's good to know that I did everything I could. Probably go with a different board next time. This is the second MSI board in a row to crap out on me, first one was doa, and this one died after basic trouble shooting