Magnetic cable management

*says in deep Australian accent* I give them 36 hours before they're all gone.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

*says in deep Australian accent* I give them 36 hours before they're all gone.

Explore aaand its gone GIFs

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Turns out "very soon" in LTTStore-time is 26-ish hours. https://www.lttstore.com/collections/mcm-all

Nah sorry guys. These prices are out to lunch. I can appreciate the R&D and quality, but the total cost for what I would need is simply way too high. I love the idea of the "Home Bundle" and I genuinely want it but I have 20 better ways to spend $150. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 hours ago, Skipple said:

Nah sorry guys. These prices are out to lunch. I can appreciate the R&D and quality, but the total cost for what I would need is simply way too high. I love the idea of the "Home Bundle" and I genuinely want it but I have 20 better ways to spend $150. 

I think you answered why it's priced that way "R&D and quality". Also, there is a lot in that home bundle. 

3 hours ago, Skipple said:

Pricing is bit weird there. You get more value with 2x Essential Bundle (36 items) than Home Bundle (29 items) for same price. Where bundles it's usually other way around. Paying more gets lower per price.

Essential bundle is really close to what quality cable rack costs here. And as such, it's competitive. Ofc, you can use plastic stuff, or wait few months for ripoffs.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pricing is bit weird there. You get more value with 2x Essential Bundle (36 items) than Home Bundle (29 items) for same price. Where bundles it's usually other way around. Paying more gets lower per price. Essential bundle is really close to what quality cable rack costs here. And as such, it's competitive. Ofc, you can use plastic stuff, or wait few months for ripoffs.

The Home Bundle has 39 pieces.  Would be 5 additional small arches but 2 fewer power brick holders vs a 2x

Pricing is higher than I had expected but it looks like a great management system and given their product history it will no doubt be quality.

I'll just have to do a proper mock up of my current setup so I only order exactly what is needed.   No way I could treat these pieces like when I order 100 clips on amazon for $9.99 and leave 92 sitting in a drawer never to be used. 

My question is how strong are these?  Have a 1 year old wee person around the house and curious if they would be able to free the clips from under a desk.  Obvious worry with strong magnets involved. 

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

3 hours ago, smatts said:

The Home Bundle has 39 pieces.  Would be 5 additional small arches but 2 fewer power brick holders vs a 2x

Good point, messed my calculation. For me 2x Essential would be more value as I don't see the point of small, 1 thick cable arches and would need 2x power bar holders.

3 hours ago, smatts said:

My question is how strong are these?  Have a 1 year old wee person around the house and curious if they would be able to free the clips from under a desk.  Obvious worry with strong magnets involved. 

We'll have to wait either launch video or independent review for getting proper answer. They are using neodymium (REE) which is what the strongest magnets are made from. It will take effort to just pull one off the metal or another magnet. But if placement would be in spot where cables provide leverage... They aren't going to hold 15kg of force. There's mention of max supported weight in product description.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Typos

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pricing is bit weird there. You get more value with 2x Essential Bundle (36 items) than Home Bundle (29 items) for same price. Where bundles it's usually other way around. Paying more gets lower per price.

Let me be clear here... I'm more talking conceptually: I can't imagine spending close to what they are asking for a cable management solution. The value add simply isn't there for me to spend even $100 for something that will bind my cables behind my entertainment center, office desk, and maybe my server room then (hopefully) not be touched for 6 months. However, this is something I like. I've had a link in my signature for years now showing off my cable management solution. I guess where my issue is the value of the added utility of this product over another, cheaper solution.

I can see myself purchasing high quality luxury products. A backpack, a coat, a screwdriver. A cable management system doesn't fall into that same scope for me. Perhaps there isn't a price that I would find palatable here. I don't know. Perhaps the product just isn't for me. It certainly isn't at the current price. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

I can't imagine spending close to what they are asking for a cable management solution. The value add simply isn't there for me...

Perhaps the product just isn't for me. It certainly isn't at the current price. 

Yeah I think it's just not the right product for you.  Different people have different price sensitivities, both overall and relative across product categories.  I only buy store brand orange juice because Simply Orange® or whatever isn't worth the price to me, but other people love it.  Meanwhile I used to buy $80 bottles of scotch (before I quit drinking) and I spent $1200 on an office chair 20 years ago and paid to have it repaired when it ultimately broke because I don't want any other chair.

I have the SecretLab Magnus desk with some magnetic cable management accessories and LMG's pricing seems at least competitive with, if not better than SecretLab's: https://secretlab.co/products/cable-management-bundle?sku=Mag-CblBdl-Stealth.. $50 for the equivalent of 4 larges, 3 smalls, and some cable ties.  And I bought it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a premium product.  If it's not worth it to you, you're not wrong.  But people who feel it is worth it to them aren't wrong either.

All that said, I sympathize with the sense of disappointment you're feeling to discover yourself priced out of a product you were excited about.

Edited by adfaklsdjf
correcting equivalent secretlab products

Do you think we'll see alternative colours for these? Would like to have a grey/silver or white option for the arch.

I'm holding out buying just in case other colors are on the horizon.

5 minutes ago, sdbuzz said:

Do you think we'll see alternative colours for these? Would like to have a grey/silver or white option for the arch.

Alright alright brilliant idea time:

Arch Linux themed Archs.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Are there measurements for the VHB plates? I'd like to know how large dimensionally each of the plate sizes are.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

On 3/19/2024 at 5:14 AM, sdbuzz said:

I have to admit that I was pretty bummed to not see white option with these. Unless your setup is black, white does go better with natural colors such as wood.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I have to admit that I was pretty bummed to not see white option with these. Unless your setup is black, white does go better with natural colors such as wood.

Mostly they won't be visible so it isn't much of an issue, but I would assume that if there is enough demand for the initial product and there is demand for other colours, it will come eventually.  But it's more complex logistics, and perhaps expensive to manufacture, so it makes a lot of sense to prove the market before expanding into other colours.

3 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Mostly they won't be visible so it isn't much of an issue, but I would assume that if there is enough demand for the initial product and there is demand for other colours, it will come eventually.  But it's more complex logistics, and perhaps expensive to manufacture, so it makes a lot of sense to prove the market before expanding into other colours.

In perfect world, that might be the case. But already in my own use, I run cables across the house and often in visible spots. White cables (walls are white), so would prefer white cable ties. Now, you may say to use cable conduit. But if you are living on rentet apartment, anything that leaves permanent marks can be ticks off when moving out. So if I could do same with couple of cable ties, I would prefer it like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

In perfect world, that might be the case. But already in my own use, I run cables across the house and often in visible spots. White cables (walls are white), so would prefer white cable ties.

Yes, as I mentioned more expensive/complex logistics.  Plus the fact that there isn't a single white, but many different shades and finishes, so matching is hard. 

I believe the screwdriver started with a limited colour options before expanding into more colours.

26 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Yes, as I mentioned more expensive/complex logistics.  Plus the fact that there isn't a single white, but many different shades and finishes, so matching is hard. 

I believe the screwdriver started with a limited colour options before expanding into more colours.

There's two sides of things.If you are doing color coating anyway, then it isn't more complex as process. Getting color correct maybe, but if its powder coat, then that argument loses some of its validity. For screwdriver, it was their 2nd more technical product and first where plastic/rubber was the main component. They had multiple colors with water bottles (aluminium) before that, so having colored products isn't a new thing overall. At this point, they also should know that having color variety is what people want. Even Noctua screwdriver go two version from start.

E: Furthermore, Linus is among those who will bash manufacturers from not including color options.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There's two sides of things.If you are doing color coating anyway, then it isn't more complex as process. Getting color correct maybe, but if its powder coat, then that argument loses some of its validity. For screwdriver, it was their 2nd more technical product and first where plastic/rubber was the main component. They had multiple colors with water bottles (aluminium) before that, so having colored products isn't a new thing overall. At this point, they also should know that having color variety is what people want. Even Noctua screwdriver go two version from start.

Looks like injection moulded plastic like screwdriver, not colour coatings.  Getting colour right is a big problem.  Getting white colours that don't turn yellow etc, is very hard. 

Products like water bottles are different, it's all the same metal bottle with different designs applied.  LTT did a video that talks about injection moulding for screwdriver, it's coloured plastic not plastic with paint.

7 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Looks like injection moulded plastic like screwdriver, not colour coatings.  Getting colour right is a big problem.  Getting white colours that don't turn yellow etc, is very hard. 

Products like water bottles are different, it's all the same metal bottle with different designs applied.  LTT did a video that talks about injection moulding for screwdriver, it's coloured plastic not plastic with paint.

Plastic is different. If you read my post, I did note that. To me they did look like powder coated steel, and materials aren't mentioned on product page either. So if the supplier is different from who makes screwdrivers, then its understandable. But then again, they have had time with these. They have all the equipment and enough knowledge from screwdrivers. 

So overall, its bummer they didn't include more color options from start. When they more than likely could have had. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Plastic is different. If you read my post, I did note that. To me they did look like powder coated steel, and materials aren't mentioned on product page either. So if the supplier is different from who makes screwdrivers, then its understandable. But then again, they have had time with these. They have all the equipment and enough knowledge from screwdrivers. 

So overall, its bummer they didn't include more color options from start. When they more than likely could have had. 

It's plastic.