I have a 400 watt psu, but no pcie 6pin cables

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Power supplies  produce 3 voltages : 3.3v , 5v and 12v  and on some power supplies a part of the total power is reserved for 3.3v and 5.0v so even though the power supply is advertised as 400 watts, it may not be able to supply 400 watts on 12v, which is what's used in modern computers to power the processor and the video cards.

On amazon there's a picture showing the table with the voltages and power available on each voltage, and that table says 12v 32A, which means  12 x 32 = 384 watts available on 12v.

The thing is, that's true if that's 100% genuine and they're not exaggerating or inflating the numbers.  and the internals are like in the picture on the box on Amazon, I would say at least 300 watts on 12v would be realistic on that power supply.

What can you do now.. well, not much, maybe try a 2 x molex (old hard drive connector)  to a pci-e 6+2 / 8 pin adapter.  They should be better than the 2xsata - pci-e 8 pin adapters

Willing to get an alibaba cheap rx580 from amazon in india, yes I know I know they are bad but I think the cheaper price is nice and also I currently own a gt1030 ddr4 varient sooooo yeah, from the reviews I have watched it consumes around 120-125 watts under load, so I think I have enough juice in my psu to use it, can you tell me if I use a sata to 6pin adapter to use the gpu or even molex? I am not willing to spend on a psu I just got this last year, I thought it will have a pcie cable, but nope. Please tell me know.

PS: its a antesport VS400L varient and has 400 watts and gpu price is around 10,099RS

Power supplies  produce 3 voltages : 3.3v , 5v and 12v  and on some power supplies a part of the total power is reserved for 3.3v and 5.0v so even though the power supply is advertised as 400 watts, it may not be able to supply 400 watts on 12v, which is what's used in modern computers to power the processor and the video cards.

On amazon there's a picture showing the table with the voltages and power available on each voltage, and that table says 12v 32A, which means  12 x 32 = 384 watts available on 12v.

The thing is, that's true if that's 100% genuine and they're not exaggerating or inflating the numbers.  and the internals are like in the picture on the box on Amazon, I would say at least 300 watts on 12v would be realistic on that power supply.

What can you do now.. well, not much, maybe try a 2 x molex (old hard drive connector)  to a pci-e 6+2 / 8 pin adapter.  They should be better than the 2xsata - pci-e 8 pin adapters

Thank you for that response, I truly appreciate it, but is there any change it will damage my gpu in long term use? and also ant esports is a truly reputable brand in India, if it faked it wattage, it would probably be noted, but I can't seem to find anything, so that is also an issue, but now if I use molex long term use? like 2-3 years? imo, 385 watt is also fine for a max 120 watt gpu I have the intel skylake i76700. It has a tdp or max wattage usage of 65 so I think its fine I have gigabit GA-h110m-h motherboard and 16 gb ram. 

Molex connectors are rated for 5A each, so in theory the adapter cable is good for 10A x 12v = 120 watts

The video card will take around 50-60w from the pci-e slot, and the rest from the external connectors.  The asian market RX 580 is practically a RX 570, so it will actually peak at around 175w or so but will probably average at around 150 watts in games. That would mean on average there should be less than 120 watts taken from the external power, so the adapter cable should work.

No, it's not a case of damaging the video card. It's a case of low possibility of molex connectors melting, or the insulation on the wires of the adapter melting, if the video card "pulls" too much power through the adapter. 

You'll want to periodically inspect the adapter cable and make sure the connections are sturdy, that there's nothing smelling like burned plastic near the adapter cable.

48 minutes ago, Whisingltt said:

Thank you for that response, I truly appreciate it, but is there any change it will damage my gpu in long term use? and also ant esports is a truly reputable brand in India, if it faked it wattage, it would probably be noted, but I can't seem to find anything, so that is also an issue, but now if I use molex long term use? like 2-3 years? imo, 385 watt is also fine for a max 120 watt gpu I have the intel skylake i76700. It has a tdp or max wattage usage of 65 so I think its fine I have gigabit GA-h110m-h motherboard and 16 gb ram. 

For a low power card its likely fine, its only if you were pulling 150W from a molex adapter it can be dodgy, and I mean catching fire kind of dodgy.

Obviously we can't guarantee anything, knowing nothing about how the PSU has been built and what wire gauge they are using.  The thing to worry about are the really cheap PSUs where the wire gauge is far too low to pull the power the PSU can put out, so can literally catch fire with a mid to high-end GPU.

What is also problematic is not knowing if the adapter itself has been properly designed to handle the current.

I'd probably run something like Furmark to put a stupidly high load on the GPU and keep an eye on the adapter and cables for any signs of the insulation deforming/melting.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies, so bad news, I have fans in my system I can't use 2 molex cables, I have 3 fans in my case its a Ice-100 Ant esports case (I am not an ant esports fan boy xD) and yes I am aware that the molex connectors could melt away, Idk If I should use 1 molex cable as its a six pin, but I think it will even out the wattage it takes, but idk so please let me know if I can use only 1 molex cable from my psu for my setup. Thanks again for the replies.

NO, use two molex connectors, and if it's possible, use one molex from each cable with connectors coming from power supply (the idea is to have 12v wires going all the way to the power supply, if you use two molex connectors from the same chain of connectors, there's gonna be only one 12v wire going to power supply)

Take out one fan or change your fan to one that uses a regular 3-4 pin connector that plugs in motherboard.

A fan has less priority than not burning up computer or power supply cables.

Thank you ok, I will just upgrade my psu from what I have seen here, if I won't I will make sure to use all the tips given here thank you guys very much!

ok, last question guys, ik its late is the 

ZEBRONICS ZS500 500W Non Modular Power Supply with Silent 120mm RGB Fan, SATA x 3, 12V 28A (Max.), Over Voltage/Short Circuit Protection fine for the rx580? but my main concern is that does it have a 6pin connector or a 8pin connector cause I need a 6pin one not 8 pin. I think that the Artis 500 Watt Super Silent Gaming PC SMPS/Power Supply Unit fine for me ? i think its better

These are regional brands, they're not sold in Europe, so I have no idea how good they are. They're most likely rebranded lesser known psu manufacturers.

But if you look at the title of Zebronics, it says 12v 28A max so that's even worse than your existing power supply, if they're both genuine and don't lie on the labels - it can do only 336 watts on 12v.

As for the Artis model, don't look at the total wattage, because it's pointless... look for that table that lists how much power is available on 12v.  If it's just like the Zebronics model that can only output 336 watts (12v x 28A) on 12v, then it's pointless to buy it. 

The amazon listings show it with 2 6 pin molex connectors so at least that's promising, as in promising it's not a 250-300w psu relabeled as a 500w psu, but it could still be a psu that only has 350w or so on 12v.

Do you have a list of power supplies or a website that you buy from, and where one can easily filter to see only power supplies (don't give me lazada / aliexpress type of sites, don't have time to scroll through 1000 listings) ?

If I were to be on a limited budget, I'd probably look at something like

₹3,139  - Cooler Master MWE 450 Bronze V2 Power Supply - Non-Modular | 80 Plus Bronze Certified | 120mm HDB Fan | DC-to-DC Circuit Design | ATX 2.52 Version | 450 Watt :  https://www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Bronze-Certified-Non-Modular/dp/B08GTF8224/

Yes, it says 450 watts, but if you look on the table with the voltages and currents, it can actually output almost all 450 watts on 12v - it's a more modern design which uses dc-dc converters to convert 12v to 3.3v or 5v as needed, instead of having a portion of the output permanently reserved for 3.3v and 5.0v

So this 450 watts power supply can actually output more power than your power supply and your so called 500w power supplies.

It's also a brand, and in theory has a 3 year or 5 year warranty, has 2  pci-e 6+2 connectors ...

You can also easily find everything you want about it on the site, they're not ashamed to list the specs, connectors etc : https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-450-bronze-v2/

The 550w model is 3950 INR or whatever that currency is : https://www.amazon.in/Cooler-Master-Bronze-Certified-Non-Modular/dp/B08H5QR9FL/

If this model is not available,  this one is not as good but close in specs to it , Antec Cuprum Strike, Ante CSK 450 : https://www.amazon.in/Antec-Bronze-CSK-80-Continuous/dp/B0BVG3Y88W/ - it can output 408 watts on 12v, and again, the info is on the official website : https://www.antec.com/product/power/csk-450-bronze

The cooler master is better and cheaper.

Ok! thanks, I have listed a cart on amazon.in I cannot share the cart idek how to but here are some screenshots to the things we talked about. I am gonna use corsair t230 thermal paste with the cooler, I found an antesports psu, this is a china rx580 2048sp 8gb vram, it doesn't consume 130+ watts, even less than that. So 500watt, IF less is fine for it. A person who reviewed this recommended to under clock it which might be a case, but it has a returnable policy which is always helpful. Now, you can check this list and tell me and I only purchase from amazon.in, alibaba is banned which is basically aliexpress but Indian, tiktok is too, you might not know and I don't want to spend 100$ as its really expensive in INR(indian rupee) so only amazon. Thanks, and dw about the cooler I was using an even cheaper one, the temps are fine for my i7 skylake, under load the temps are under 65 Degree Celsius.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 172513.png

Screenshot 2024-03-03 172524.png

Well just goes to show where your priorities are.

Spend more INR on sleeved cables than the power supply ... sleeving a shit psu with shit cables.  If they can sell you something that contains tens of components, fan, weight that costs in shipping, for less price than some sleeved cables what quality do you expect from that power supply?

Spend the money on the proper high quality power supply to last you 5-10 years and potentially reuse it with the next computer, instead of getting a shitty power supply that may die on you in 1 year and will be noisy and inefficient

The sleeved cables are NOT necessary, your computer will function just fine without them, you can always just save some money and buy them in 2-3 months from now.

The temps are fine for skylake, anything below 80c is safe. Lots of motherboards will have the fan curve for cpu configured so that the fan will not speed at 100% rpm if the temperature is below around 60-65c, so it could just be that your motherboard is simply not spinning the cpu fan faster once the temperature goes below 65c

shit I didn't even focus on that rip xD sorry. Thanks for the advice, and the psu isn't noisy I have used antesports psu for like 1.2 years now just gonna use it as a spare psu now. Sorry sorry for the sleeves thing, and I meant to add 1 pack of sleeves instead added 3 packs xD sorry sorry. And again, ant esports cooler, it spins on max EVERYTIME cause it has 3 pins instead of 4, and if thats not the reason IDEK why it spins so fast, but it does keep temps cool, but looks shit so this is better + reputable brand.

PS: This is much better.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 190347.png