Infrastructure built by the apprentices in a school

Hello LTT forums,

I live in France and I'm sharing with this community a project that was proposed by multiple "intervenants" (people who teach us subjects at school) to us who are in a apprenticeship school

Our current state in IT infrastructure is limited, meaning only the basics are given to us (access to internet, power and school outlook)

The direction has approved of this project with others of the head of our school to engange to deploy a IT infrastructure for our needs in education

Since most of us are students, and we learn computer technology, we have to bring our own laptops capable to do emulation (vmware workstation, cisco packet tracer & more)

Some of our tutors have been happily discarding their old IT equipement to this project (dell / HPE servers, cisco switches, etc) instead of recycling them or throwing them away.

We already have an agreement where we can install a 25u rack with the servers given to us,

We would like to host a primary vsphere server that would be for administration, and two secondary ones for the students and teachers to access remotely 

This would enable the "intervenants" / teachers to prepare in advance courses for classes on subjects of virtualisation or networking, and would also enable us students to connect on the network to discover the technology

What would you recommend? 

cesi ib.jpg

cesi infra.png

This is your course work, we're not supposed to tell you what to do 😉

There are 2 schools (see what I did here 😛 ) of thought here:

• traditional outline: switches on top, UPS on the bottom and servers inbetween
  • less traditional outline: switches in the centre, UPS still on the bottom and servers top and centre.

Both have their pro's and con's, it's up to you which suits your situation best and wire up accordingly.

We expect an explanation why you've chosen which outline to use. 🤣

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

9 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

• traditional outline: switches on top, UPS on the bottom and servers inbetween
  • less traditional outline: switches in the centre, UPS still on the bottom and servers top and centre.

Both have their pro's and con's, it's up to you which suits your situation best and wire up accordingly.

We expect an explanation why you've chosen which outline to use. 🤣

The photo i shared is all the equipement we have for this project

33 minutes ago, mnemonic said:

We would like to host a primary vsphere server that would be for administration, and two secondary ones for the students and teachers to access remotely 

How will you license this? VMware is no longer free. Will you be allowed you use the licenses from your academic institution they have or VMUG? Or are you not aware that it was made no longer free starting this year?

Your plans may have to change due to this. Or you could just keep reinstalling and running the trial period. Either way FYI just in case.

12 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

This doesn't sound like it's the course work, just a project to enhance teaching and learning materials aka hardware/software to teach and learn on.

Anyway no real advice or suggestions can be given because whatever is to be done needs to align with what and how things will be taught, so guidance from the teachers/instructors is going to be required or there is going to be no tangible benefit and outcome from this.

26 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

eeyyyyyy

as for the OP: i would create a proxmox cluster. seeing how you have a lot of different nodes/hardware types you can still just plop them in te same cluster with proxmox.

19 minutes ago, leadeater said:

This doesn't sound like it's the course work, just a project to enhance teaching and learning materials aka hardware/software to teach and learn on.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But frankly, it's a bit ironic that a class of IT students and their teachers need advise on how to set up their rack. IMO, that's part of the education process. Maybe I'm just old school (s'cuse the pun 😛 )

23 minutes ago, mnemonic said:

The photo i shared is all the equipement we have for this project

Unfortunately, the image isn't very clear. Mind listing what you have available?

8 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

proxmox cluster

Not a bad idea! Alternatively, consider TrueNAS Scale. Or just plain Linux, like Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo or various other distro's suitable for server deployment. Actually, Proxmox is a pretty GUI layer on top of Debian anyway 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

How will you license this? VMware is no longer free. Will you be allowed you use the licenses from your academic institution they have or VMUG? Or are you not aware that it was made no longer free starting this year?

Your plans may have to change due to this. Or you could just keep reinstalling and running the trial period. Either way FYI just in case.

Anyway no real advice or suggestions can be given because whatever is to be done needs to align with what and how things will be taught, so guidance from the teachers/instructors is going to be required or there is going to be no tangible benefit and outcome from this.

We thought about this and thunk that it would be a good idea to ask one of the students tutors who's an official vmware reseller to gift us with some vsphere licenses,

But it hasn't been an advancement, so what we thought would be possible is to make the 2 DELL servers only run a trial ESXi (90 or 60 day trial?)

And since those 2 Dell servers are for students, it would relaunch each 30 or 60 days itself because several classes of 20/30~ish students will access them,

And yes the 1x HPE server that is for the administration of those 2 Dell vsphere's would run PROXMOX, 

but maybe NUTANIX? 

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

Yes, I'm aware of that. But frankly, it's a bit ironic that a class of IT students and their teachers need advise on how to set up their rack. IMO, that's part of the education process. Maybe I'm just old school (s'cuse the pun 😛 )

Unfortunately, the image isn't very clear. Mind listing what you have available?

Not a bad idea! Alternatively, consider TrueNAS Scale. Or just plain Linux, like Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo or various other distro's suitable for server deployment. Actually, Proxmox is a pretty GUI layer on top of Debian anyway 😛

Ofcourse ! here 🙂 

Names Processeur Ram Disks    
    DELL powerEdge R710 2x2,53GHz 192 GB 2x146GB 15k,  2TB 7,2K, 4TB 7,2k    
    DELL powerEdge R710 2x2,53GHz 192 GB 2x146GB 15k,  1TB 7,2K, 4TB 7,2k    
    DELL SCv2020     15x1,2TB    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G9 (2x 2,30GHz) 96 GB 2 x300GB k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G9 (2x 2,30GHz) 96 GB 2 x300GB k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G9 1x 1,70GHz 16 GB 16x2TB 7,2k, 2 x300GB k    
    HP MSA 2040     24x600 GB 10k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G5 1x 2,33GHz 12 GB 4x146 GB 10k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G5 1x 2,33GHz 3 GB 4x146 GB 10k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G5 1x 2,33GHz 3 GB 4x146 GB 10k    
    HPE Proliant DL 360 G6 1x 2,40GHz 6 GB 4x72 GB 15k    
    HPE MSA P2000     10x146 GB 15k    

* Sorry i pasted it raw before edit, but this is the equipement we have for the project

Edited by mnemonic
pasting raw file

You mention vSphere. The Hypervisor (ESXi) is no longer free since recent changes as a result of the Broadcom aquisition of VMware. Its now a yearly subscription per host, and is prohibitively expensive.  I believe VMUG Advantage is still available currently at a $200 subscription price (per year), but unsure how the ESXi licensing factors into this still....they also may not be happy if they find out its being used in production as VMUG is primarily targeted for those trying to gain certifications in VMware. 

You might be better with Proxmox if you want to do clustering between multiple servers (balance and/or move for maintenance), this also comes with ZFS support.

If you just need a Hypervisor and running them seperately, also consider Windows Server 2022 with Hyper-V role and Storage Spaces. Both do clustering but Proxmox is just *easier* and is closer to how VMware works.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

48 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

You mention vSphere. The Hypervisor (ESXi) is no longer free since recent changes as a result of the Broadcom aquisition of VMware. Its now a yearly subscription per host, and is prohibitively expensive.  I believe VMUG Advantage is still available currently at a $200 subscription price (per year), but unsure how the ESXi licensing factors into this still....they also may not be happy if they find out its being used in production as VMUG is primarily targeted for those trying to gain certifications in VMware. 

You might be better with Proxmox if you want to do clustering between multiple servers (balance and/or move for maintenance), this also comes with ZFS support.

If you just need a Hypervisor and running them seperately, also consider Windows Server 2022 with Hyper-V role and Storage Spaces. Both do clustering but Proxmox is just *easier* and is closer to how VMware works.

Okay that sounds promising,

We were also tempting to go with the community edition of NUTANIX, apparently its like proxmox but on steroids

1 hour ago, mnemonic said:

Okay that sounds promising,

We were also tempting to go with the community edition of NUTANIX, apparently its like proxmox but on steroids

Nutanix is very good yes, we used to use it for about 5 years to run ~1500 VMs but their licensing changed and it became a little too expensive since we were using ESXi as the hypervisor under Nutanix. You can use AHV (Nutanix hypervisor) or ESXi.

You'd more likely find Nutanix out in general businesses than Proxmox since they prefer to go with vendor supported infrastructure but really you won't notice much difference between the two unless you want to learn specific aspect about these solutions themselves rather than use them to host VMs.

I would actually suggest Community Nutanix myself but I doubt your G5 and G6 HP servers can be used with it.

Stick with Proxmox.

Likely once you are gone they will find somebody who knows it. With NUTANIX it might be challenging. 

Regardless the real challenge is planning for the day you leave. Somebody needs to take over or this will run unmaintained for a few months, maybe years before it get's shutdown.

People never go out of business.

17 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Stick with Proxmox.

Likely once you are gone they will find somebody who knows it. With NUTANIX it might be challenging. 

Regardless the real challenge is planning for the day you leave. Somebody needs to take over or this will run unmaintained for a few months, maybe years before it get's shutdown.

That would make Nutanix a better option, it's entirely stable and designed to be the infrastructure platform of small to large businesses and made to be managed only via it's web GUI with everything standardized, simply and easily.

The only difference between Community and the Paid version is the ability to log support cases, which shouldn't be necessary in this deployment.

Literally Nutanix whole deal and business model is trying to take VMware customers, you don't do that if it's hard to manage the thing.

Proxmox being open source doesn't make it more likely someone else will be able to manage it, know anything about it or get better help from the community. All Nutanix documentation is publicly available and they have a community support forum, the actual support engineers and devs provide support as they get time as well.

I don't think either is a wrong choice, I don't think one is clearly a better choice either.

@leadeater Around me most know Proxmox but not Nutanix. As such it's far more likely to find somebody who knows Proxmox and takes on the project.

People never go out of business.