Can I do this?

Amer

Will the fans work normally if it requires 4 but my case only has a fan hub of 3 pin thingies 

IMG_6855.jpeg

Cheese

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

Will the fans work normally if it requires 4 but my case only has a fan hub of 3 pin thingies

Yes, the 4th pin is for control. However, the fan speed control is now DC powered.

2 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

Yes, the 4th pin is for control. However, the fan speed control is now DC powered.

Dc powered?

6 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

yes, but the PWM signal will not work. so you must set the fanspeed using the old method.

should still work though.

So if my pc goes into load it won’t speed up the fans? I’ll need to do it manually?

Cheese

Just now, Amer said:

Dc powered?

So if my pc goes into load it won’t speed up the fans? I’ll need to do it manually?

3-pin fans use a different method of control, instead of applying a digital signal the controller just changes the input voltage of the fan. This method is also supported by 4-pin fans.

Fan control will still be automatic, as long as the controller is connected to the motherboard.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

10 minutes ago, Amer said:

Dc powered?

Nono. 3 pin fans are voltage controlled which is the old way. Basically you just need to make sure whatever fan header on the board is plugged into this is set to DC mode and not PWM mode. That way the fans can be controlled.

45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Nono. 3 pin fans are voltage controlled which is the old way. Basically you just need to make sure whatever fan header on the board is plugged into this is set to DC mode and not PWM mode. That way the fans can be controlled.

looks like that is a DC hub anyway.. so it wouldn't make a difference. 

i've had combined hubs before, signal on any port except fan1 didn't matter as that's where it read the speed from. 

altho on this one i'm not sure it will read any rpm at all, just deliver the requested power. 

20 hours ago, Amer said:

Dc powered?

Here's what a 4-pin fan header look like, it doesn't matter if its AMD or Intel, just the pin-out matters.

3-pin, the Control is missing.

conector-4-vias-pwm-1-638.jpg?cb=1403715

Some link(s) to read

https://www.cgdirector.com/3-pin-vs-4-pin-pc-case-fans/

image.jpeg.be962d2a4fd93062376026dd5d85e59b.jpeg

In layman terms:

With 4-pin, there's a pulse (Control), which is turning your fan on/off very fast. The voltage supplied is still 12VDC.

With 3-pin, there's no pulse (Control). Your fan is running at full speed. The voltage supplied is still 12VDC.

However, some boards do have DC control mode for very specific fan header(s). This means there's a voltage regulator, if you wanna run your fan at lower speed, the voltage supplied will be lower, say 5V. This will lower the fan speed.

I'm not sure about your fan hub. It looks like there are 2 connectors, likely one of them is 4-pin and the other is extra power supply.