Thermal considerations for laptop SSD?

Yone

I want to add an second SSD to my laptop (ROG Zephyrus) for more storage (it has 2 M.2 slots).

When choosing which one to get, do I need to consider how hot it will run? Or is the worst that would happen is it would run slightly slower than it would in a system with better cooling.

Currently I'm deciding between a WD_BLACK SN770 and a Crucial P5 Plus.

I wouldn't use one of those idiotic Kingston RGB SSDs or whatever, but outside of that, it's not really something I think about. M.2 SSDs can get surprisingly toasty before anything bad starts to happen, and if your laptop is hot enough that it's nuking one, you probably have bigger things to worry about.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

6 hours ago, Yone said:

I want to add an second SSD to my laptop (ROG Zephyrus) for more storage (it has 2 M.2 slots).

When choosing which one to get, do I need to consider how hot it will run? Or is the worst that would happen is it would run slightly slower than it would in a system with better cooling.

I have a P5 plus in my laptop. Temp are fine. YMMV since it's a different laptop.

Idling at like 50c

I don't think I ever seen it went up to like... ionno... 75-80 or something. But yea, not like I'm looking at HD sentinel / HWinfo all the time, and not that I am using it to transfer a shit ton of huge datas often.

XPG S70 Blade though, hoo boy, that was quite hotter. Idled at like 65-68c,.

Been a long time since I first tried and tested it, but pretty sure I saw it went atleast 75c while under benchmark.

The price of more speed I guess.

Those measurement taken in a 23c room temp with a fan blowing fresh air to laptop's intake fan.

Do take note that some SSD is dual sided, and it might not fit well in your laptop.

Just like how S70 Blade were physically curved if installed in my Legion 5 due to tall enough component smack dab in the middle of NVME area.

Can it work while curved like that? yep.

Is it fine to make it work like that in the long run? idk. I changed it to P5 Plus since I was uncomfortable with the temp & the curving.

But yea, like above said. I don't think you need to worry that much unless you're buying like Gen 5 or a notoriously very toasty NVME.

Especially if it's just for casual use.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, Yone said:

Yes, the the SSD could throttle speeds slower if it gets hot so that it doesn't get even hotter - The throttle temp can vary by manufacturer, but I'd count on it to be triggered at 80-90C or higher.  The power usage of an SSD can be a decent indicator of how much heat it might give off, and power usage matters if your battery is relatively small capacity like <75 watt hours.  If you don't have much battery capacity, then power usage of an SSD might matter even more.  SK Hynix P31 Gold is still the GOAT for pcie 3 low SSD power usage.  Its not cheap but its not a performance slouch in its class either.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

So it sounds like it shouldn't matter too much, unless I get something crazy fast (and don't worry, I'm not going to get RGB for my laptop internal SSD). Reviews for the ones I'm looking at also say they run relatively cool.