Can you watch Netflix in 4K on a Windows PC without a 4K or HDR display?

I have the premium Netflix subscription, but only a 1080p 240hz monitor, but I use DSR upscaling to run my monitor at 4K 240hz.

Does my monitor still need HDR to watch Netflix in the Edge browser or Netflix Windows Store app in 4K, or is it because using DSR upscaling isn't "real" 4K, and that's why it doesn't work with Netflix?

I'm using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + D, to see the current stats in the Netflix video player, and it only says 1080p. Hope someone can help me out 🙂

<-- Moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites -->

Please ensure you're selecting the most appropriate section when creating a new thread and not just creating in General Discussion. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

<-- Moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites -->

Please ensure you're selecting the most appropriate section when creating a new thread and not just creating in General Discussion. 

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to place it, why I placed it in general discussion.

I think I might've found the solution myself. 

Netflix apprently only supports 4K over HDMI, not displayport, which is stupid. but my monitor is connected with displayport.

I just wrote the following feedback to Netflix:

1. Add support for 4K in all browsers.

2. displayport 4K support

3. 4K support on non 4K displays.

Can't believe such a big company doesn't support these basic things, it would make more people pay for the premium subscription.

I also just tried using Netflix with my 4K OLED TV and Chromecast Ultra.

unlike when using the TV app, I can’t press the info button, and see the current birate and resolution of the content playing, neither when casting to the TV’s built in chromecast feature, airplay, nor chromecast ultra. And I can’t even cast to the TV, if I uninstall the Netflix app, or I’m logged in with a different account on my TV than on my mobile device.

Also just sent this feedback to Netflix, so they can hopefully fix all these issues.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:54 AM, kasdashd said:

Netflix apprently only supports 4K over HDMI, not displayport

It's intentional, HDMI has HDCP copy protection so if you hook up a recorder to the HDMI output you won't be able to record the feed. Displayport doesn't support that so they're blocking this easy way to rip and redistribute their content. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It's intentional, HDMI has HDCP copy protection so if you hook up a recorder to the HDMI output you won't be able to record the feed. Displayport doesn't support that so they're blocking this easy way to rip and redistribute their content. 

Ok, the support person didn't mention anything about this when I wrote to them about this in their chat. Thanks for the reply.