Mobo, processor, ram OR video card

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Helldivers, Ark Survival Ascended ect...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a 3080TI, 5800X and 32gb of DDR4 3200.  I am wondering if I am better off upgrading my CPU and everything involved with that or go for the 4090 to improve my 4k gaming performance.  I know there is a pretty big price difference in the two options but i cant afford to do both right now.  I just want the most uplift for now, i will upgrade the other stuff later this year.  Oh, i would probably upgrade to the 7800x3d if i go the processor route.  Thanks for the help!  

EDIT - Or am i better off waiting for the 5090 since its already pretty far into the 4090 life cycle with no real price drop.

You are better off waiting You already have quite high end hardware, makes very little sense to upgrade at this point. Yes a 7800x3d+4090 would make things better for 4k gaming, but thats also gonna cost you 2800ish minimum for CPU+mobo+ram+GPU unless you live near Microcenter.

Id just wait. Just adjust your settings.

the 4090 is a *significant* upgrade. Whether it's worth it is kinda up to you

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

28 minutes ago, Leetween said:

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk, Helldivers, Ark Survival Ascended ect...

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a 3080TI, 5800X and 32gb of DDR4 3200.  I am wondering if I am better off upgrading my CPU and everything involved with that or go for the 4090 to improve my 4k gaming performance.  I know there is a pretty big price difference in the two options but i cant afford to do both right now.  I just want the most uplift for now, i will upgrade the other stuff later this year.  Oh, i would probably upgrade to the 7800x3d if i go the processor route.  Thanks for the help!  

EDIT - Or am i better off waiting for the 5090 since its already pretty far into the 4090 life cycle with no real price drop.

Your PC is already excellent, I would wait a year or so, and do a complete system rebuild with a new CPU/MoBo, DDR5, and an "RTX 5090" when it releases. If you get a 4090 or 5090 when it comes out, the 5800x and ddr4 might be a potential bottleneck.

I'm running a brand-new mid-range build - i5-12600K, 6700 XT, and  32GB DDR4, last-gen parts, but it works amazing for Fortnite and I plan on keeping it for a while, so I'll probably upgrade when DDR6 comes out. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

Just now, PowerPCFan said:

probably upgrade when DDR6 comes out.

You're planning on running that rig for a decade?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

8 minutes ago, OddOod said:

You're planning on running that rig for a decade?

I guess! I'll just upgrade when my games start to lag - not necessarily when DDR6 comes out. 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx