How many friggin 5v rgb do I need??

OnionRings
Go to solution Solved by OddOod,
51 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

take a 12v and divide it into two 5s

That's not a thing. That's not how that works

really do need 3

I think not. The fans are daisy chainable which says to me that you should be able to get all the things to run off one header. You might need to get an extender to get from the fans to the pump

So I have the lian li lancool 216 rgb, and I just got a galahad II trinity SLF, my motherboard has 2 5v rgb and a 12v rgb, so according to the galahad guide if im reading it right, it needs 2 5v one for the pump itself and one for the box thing it comes with, but then my case front fans also need one, theres a fan splitter type thing that needs one, so do I seriously need 3??? Do any motherboards even come with that many? 

Ill include photos cus im either missing something or this cooler is needy.

17085682201047206374802780961630.jpg

1708568284073881198805400432404.jpg

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

Ok so I think I understand, I assume that the pump needs one for the infinity mirror, and then the fans need one, so I really do need 3 unless they make some sort of adapter that can like take a 12v and divide it into two 5s or something. Then I would have 4 in total

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

take a 12v and divide it into two 5s

really do need 3

I think not. The fans are daisy chainable which says to me that you should be able to get all the things to run off one header. You might need to get an extender to get from the fans to the pump

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

35 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I know the 12v into two 5s isnt a thing, it was like a metaphor, you obviously can't just shove 12v down a 5v rail, otherwise I could just use the 12v header on the board.

I meant like a converter adapter type deal, something that would like take the 12v and some how step it down if thats even possible idfk.

As far as step 2, I tried to send a video explaining better and showing off my issue but it was too large to fit here, maybe can record and upload to youtube then link or something.

In the meantime, pump lights work, fan lights work. 

IMG_20240221_225747_HDR.jpg

CPU

Rad! 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

12 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Rad! 

Im too tired to comprehend this. Are you saying its rad, or the answer lies in the rad? Anyway here is a video trying to better explain and show off the issue, its not very good sorry. 

https://youtu.be/tF6esI_-6Cc?si=HS3vqv7pYdw58VQc

CPU

dont no what your asking? there 12v rgb and there are 5v argb. there are convertors that make 5v device act like 12v rgb.

there is one convertor that did make rgb act like argb but i dont think its sold anymore and was costly like $80+...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

15 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Im too tired to comprehend this. Are you saying its rad, or the answer lies in the rad? Anyway here is a video trying to better explain and show off the issue, its not very good sorry. 

https://youtu.be/tF6esI_-6Cc?si=HS3vqv7pYdw58VQc

Rad as in radical. you're good. please sleep

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

Rad as in radical. you're good. please sleep

Lol about to. So I found this after a literal like 30-second Google search, It looks like it turns one into two so this could work, I assume it has its limits much like a fan splitter does where you can't daisy chain a bunch of them together but I only need one extra plug so a single splitter would work for this scenario.

ARGB Splitter Cable, 5V 3 Pin Addressable RGB Splitter Cable with 3 Pin Connector for Computer Chassis, 1 to Dual ARGB Cable, 1 to 2 ARGB Extension Cable, 11.8 Inches, 2 Pack (1 to 2 Spliter Cable) https://a.co/d/5ygmEfB

CPU

/shrug 

I don't RGB very hard. I have a passive 1-to-7 5v splitter. 
Honestly if you wanna go ham on the RGB, I'd just get a USB RGB controller and use OpenRGB

1 hour ago, OnionRings said:

Lol about to. So I found this after a literal like 30-second Google search, It looks like it turns one into two so this could work, I assume it has its limits much like a fan splitter does where you can't daisy chain a bunch of them together but I only need one extra plug so a single splitter would work for this scenario.

ARGB Splitter Cable, 5V 3 Pin Addressable RGB Splitter Cable with 3 Pin Connector for Computer Chassis, 1 to Dual ARGB Cable, 1 to 2 ARGB Extension Cable, 11.8 Inches, 2 Pack (1 to 2 Spliter Cable) https://a.co/d/5ygmEfB

you can connect as many argb as you want so long as you dont have more then what the header can so. if you do then you can get a powerd splitor that just sends data to the device and gets its power from the psu insted of the header. then your limied to what the wire gage/conetors can handle for power...

if you want each device to have its own control or color you need a header each that can be controlled.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

9 hours ago, OddOod said:

/shrug 

I don't RGB very hard. I have a passive 1-to-7 5v splitter. 
Honestly if you wanna go ham on the RGB, I'd just get a USB RGB controller and use OpenRGB

Dont necessarily wanna " go ham " just want everything to work at stock.

Now that im awake and fresh minded im gonna look at some options.

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you can connect as many argb as you want so long as you dont have more then what the header can so. if you do then you can get a powerd splitor that just sends data to the device and gets its power from the psu insted of the header. then your limied to what the wire gage/conetors can handle for power...

if you want each device to have its own control or color you need a header each that can be controlled.

Ok so its like a sys fan header where you can technically connect as many as you want but if the header cant power it all, no worky. Got it.

I only need a double splitter at this rate, just turn 1 into 2, that should suffice. 

CPU

2 hours ago, OnionRings said:

I only need a double splitter at this rate, just turn 1 into 2, that should suffice. 

yes

10 hours ago, OnionRings said:

They exist, even 3-to-1 and 6-to-1 splitters.

Just some examples (since I'm using the 3-way splitters myself).
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-d-rgb-6-way-splitter-cable

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-d-rgb-3-way-splitter-cable

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

So apon trying to install a unifan sl 140 v2 in the back, I realized that it is ever so slightly thicker than a regular 140 and won't fit.

But in my journey to try and hook that up, I realized I COULD daisy chain my front fans into the box, so I now have RGB everywhere but the back, if I desire rgb there too, I would need a unifan 120

IMG_20240222_231918.jpg

CPU

9 hours ago, NorKris said:

solution on urself  lool

I mean did I not figure it out myself lol

CPU