Best way to store photos?

DripplessNewt

I have gotten myself into hobbyist photography and am at the point where I need to move the photos to a separate drive, and I am not sure what I should get. I have space for up to two 3.5" bays or three 2.5" bays, or 3 more NVME drives, though i feel like those are more costly currently than I would like to spend. So what do you guys think? Should I go hard drive or sata drive? Or should I get a big external drive? 

If you need as much storage as possible and don't really care about maximum speed, HDD is the way to go.

You should probably get at least one internal and more than one external drive for backups (coworker who does photos professionally does that)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

You need space, so you need HDD. As mentioned above, your data should never be on just one drive. You may have heard of the 3-2-1 backup rule? If not that's one you may want to look up.

I even keep my externals in pairs just to keep the chances of failures to a minimum, especially as at all times at least one of these cases is kept offsite:

pelican1020.jpg

* Note not all my data needs backed up, just critical data goes on these drives to be backed up off site. All my data gets backed in multiple places, across many drives here. locally to protect against drive failures.