Samsung dex not working

Hellowpplz

Around October I used dex because my laptop battery died, and the way I do this is with a lenovo thinkvision dock and thinkvision moniter. Recently i was in the same situation but now it doesn't work anymore, the dock light turns from orange to white but that doesn't mean much because it always does that. The dock works by plugging in usb-c and putting out hdmi or displayport. I have tried both. All the phone does is ask to open smart switch?

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

My suspicion is that it's the dock, but I'd definitely go into the USB settings while it's plugged in and try each option you find there for what it should see the device as.
If you have a friend with a USBC laptop, it would be a good idea to try that plugged into your dock. 
Also try plugging just the dock in because it's possible one of the peripherals is confusing the phone

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

27 minutes ago, OddOod said:

My suspicion is that it's the dock, but I'd definitely go into the USB settings while it's plugged in and try each option you find there for what it should see the device as.
If you have a friend with a USBC laptop, it would be a good idea to try that plugged into your dock. 
Also try plugging just the dock in because it's possible one of the peripherals is confusing the phone

How do I find the USB settings. I am not exactly phone tech savvy, so im lost right now.

28 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Someone in another thread said lower display resolution since dex was on 1440p before on another monitor and this one is 1080p. I had it on 3440 x 1440 and the monitor is maxed out at 1920 x 1080. Problem is without dex open I can't change that and I don't have my other monitor...