Google fiber "We won't have fast lanes"

Mitch3k

Great atricle by Gigaom, worth the read.

http://gigaom.com/2014/05/21/google-fiber-we-dont-charge-for-peering-dont-have-fast-lanes/

If this gets into the WAN show, SPAM KAPPA IN CHAT

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

and again as an european I am surprised this is even surprising.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is great. While all the other ISPs take full advantage of the inevitable loss of net neutrality Google openly denounces it. That is both a genius business move and a great thing overall.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Seriously want google fiber to take over the worlds infrastructure and make all those dog telcos go bankrupt they deserve it!

Seriously want google fiber to take over the worlds infrastructure and make all those dog telcos go bankrupt they deserve it!

don't need to take over the world. just usa, canada and aus and some desert where few people live.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This is great. While all the other ISPs take full advantage of the inevitable loss of net neutrality Google openly denounces it. That is both a genius business move and a great thing overall.

Seems like all the major companies that do not want it could force (to some degree) near dialup speed, so how the users like it for a week, that shoudl get people more active, I'd think.

Every ISP that isn't on Google's level should be shitting themselves right about now.

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

don't need to take over the world. just usa, canada and aus and some desert where few people live.

Im sure the people in uk have it pretty bad too.

im remote areas maybe.

Spoiler

im remote areas maybe.

I watch a motovlogger and he has a business in london and complains because he doesnt have fiber....

I watch a motovlogger and he has a business in london and complains because he doesnt have fiber....

private houses always have trouble with fiber

Spoiler

Nah, we don't. People like to bitch and moan saying we do but we really really don't.

I have been using the internet for years and to date I have had no issues. We don't get traffic managed or "fast laned".

EDIT: Only on the really really cheap internet packages you get traffic managed, if you can afford probably at the most £20 a month for internet then you'll get unlimited broadband with no traffic shaping.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

private houses always have trouble with fiber

I thought the uk had fttn anyway? and they are replacing it with fttp now.

Heh, My exchange in London was finnally upgraded to fiber last month after 5 years of wait. Even then I am getting speeds of 45 Mb/s down because of the distance to the cabinet and all the joints in between, and BT will not upgrade the ageing old copper wires from my house to the cabinet.

|| Case: Corsairt 600T || Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 || CPU: AMD FX8350 || CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 || SSD: Samsung 250GB 840 Pro/OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 || Graphics: Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X || RAM: 8GB DDR3 || PSU: Cooler Master 850W 80 Plus ||

Every ISP that isn't on Google's level should be shitting themselves right about now.

Why? Google may have a better services but from what I understand the others have monopolies over many area of the US (that's kind of unheard of in Europe) so they don't care, at least for several years, and even if Google decides to suddenly complete nationwide rollout, there will still be plenty of people who couldn't be bothered to switch all their services from one provider to the next. The fact that they can do this whole fast lane bs means that they're not exactly worried in the first place.

I'd be funny if Google fiber cities and neighborhoods started affecting real state prices, I mean I fucking hate to move but Americans seem to move a lot more often so maybe they would say "Yeah I'll move to bumblefuck ville since they at least have google fiber"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Now they just need to hurry up and expand! We need choices! As of now, I have a choice between terrible service or terribly overpriced service (that's only marginally less terrible.) They seem to be doing a good job of ramping up, I'm just getting impatient and nervous w/ all this fast lane/net neutrality business that's been stewing for the last couple years.   

**WIP** .:Main Rig:. Case: Fractal Define Arc Mini CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k (4.5GHz@1.176v) GPU: MSi R7950 TwinFrozr 3GD5 OC BE (Core:960MHz; Mem:1575MHz; 1.175v) MB: ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE RAM: 8GB(4x2) Mushkin Blackline 2133MHz PSU: Corsair AX760 Cooler: H80i w/ 2x SP120 Fans: 3x Corsair SP120; 2x Silverstone AP140 Storage: 120GB Muskin Atlas mSATA (Win7 x64)

Maybe they will have "ad lanes" instead.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Well yeah. Its's all the fast lane.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

I'd be funny if Google fiber cities and neighborhoods started affecting real state prices, I mean I fucking hate to move but Americans seem to move a lot more often so maybe they would say "Yeah I'll move to bumblefuck ville since they at least have google fiber"

It has done that on a very small scale here in Provo already.  I'm a student and student housing prices have not gone up but availability for residential complexes with Google Fiber are in high demand.  Thankfully my apartment is getting it but vacancies in units with GF access are hard to find right now.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

GET THEM GOOGLE!!! WUFF WUFF

PC Gaming forever...

Heh, My exchange in London was finnally upgraded to fiber last month after 5 years of wait. Even then I am getting speeds of 45 Mb/s down because of the distance to the cabinet and all the joints in between, and BT will not upgrade the ageing old copper wires from my house to the cabinet.

Don'T complain about 45 mb/s, I get barely 1mb/s of download, and I live in a populated area, in Canada