Steam Deck Black Screen of Death: Go buy an ROG Ally

So, I bought a steam deck about a year and a half ago, and now the screen does not work.

There is an ongoing issue with decks all over but basically stems from the same issue.

You let your steam deck go dead. Like, dead dead. Meaning you left it at 2% over night without charging it.

You come back in the morning, and plug it into the charger to get a quick session in before work and your deck wont display anything.

You know it is on, because the fan is spinning and haptics are working, and you can hear the boot sound into os.

You shut it off, try getting into the bios settings, just to see if anything different could be causing your issues.

But you cant even see your bios.

My steam deck is still usable, docked only.

Apparently, this issue is the same issue that I expect thousands of others have encountered. I went to reddit and there are "fixes" ( soft resets, hard resets, button combos)

But in the end, you cant get the device to display anything on its internal display.

Valves fix for this? If you are in warranty, free RMA. If you are not, $185 for the service + shipping (so around 200$)

I am not in warranty, and it will take a long while for me to be able to afford this repair (Single dad, with lots of bills)

I guess my issue is just how valve has done nothing to combat this problem. It still happens on OLED models. They haven't even publicly acknowledged that it is an issue.

Yet to me as a user who has done everything right (not installed windows, no hard resets, etc) I feel somewhat betrayed that this device is now a brick.

The whole point of a steam deck is portable power, but now mine is not portable.

• 1 month later...

In my experience it is solved after a couple of restarts. Had screen not turning on a couple of times in the past year+ - every time was solved by a hard restart or two.