How to set up your new PC in 30 minutes

Before you game, work, or watch on your new PC, there are some important things to ensure your CPU, GPU, RAM, and more are all working as intended. Good news: It’s easy when you know how!

Buy a Surge Protector: https://geni.us/RWleE
Buy a KINGTOP Headphone Mic Splitter: https://geni.us/ITZfJN

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Alternative to installing your wireless drivers before your install: plug an ethernet cable in your computer and once Windows is installed and set up: just use windows update to install the drivers there

My advice if you work with a lot of pcs, new and old like I do, is to keep drivers for a cheap usb WiFi adapter that you can use to get things going on anything with a usb port.

From my early 2000’s thinkpads to modern machines, I have a tplink w725n which has driver support back to windows xp, and works on Linux, meaning I can get it connected to the internet easily and start downloading other things needed, regardless of what machine “it” is.

This is handy! I used to find these tips as parts/mentions in other build videos, nice that they're all in one now.

Didn't know about the folder customization at 25:25, gonna set that up on my PC.

Also one thing they didn't mention which I learned the hard way: after you have the fun of building, installing windows etc....you then have to deal with windows 😞 and it's inconveniently timed system updates and other bugs....and wish ye old MacBook could run your games...lol slight apple fanboy. dont judge I love my PC. SFF all the way.

Why in the living fucking hell would you recommend CONNECTING TO THE GOD DAMN INTERNET during a windows install. Never, EVER do that, install the OS, make a LOCAL ACCOUNT, AND THEN DO Whatever sign in, updates , etc... CMON linus 

16 minutes ago, rom4ster said:

Why in the living fucking hell would you recommend CONNECTING TO THE GOD DAMN INTERNET during a windows install. Never, EVER do that, install the OS, make a LOCAL ACCOUNT, AND THEN DO Whatever sign in, updates , etc... CMON linus 

There's no use arguing this when what Microsoft provide in service is really nice for the layman this aimed to. Yes, you can rant about the mass ET Phone Home that Microsoft do during idle or even in game, but these would just fall on deaf ears to layman that have no idea what you just bleated on, and probably have given their version of Draw My Life to Apple or Google. And besides, svchost memory leak that has been the malaise of most of these performance side rant will happen regardless of local or microsoft account on stock windows install. You will need to tweak the RAM compression to never kick in and that already requires registry tweaks which takes some basic technical knowhow.

All of these are intuitive for you and i but try to teach your aunt to do it once and then do it again. Distinguish what beginner need to know and what beginner could know if they wanna take it to the next level. But a huge chunk of people? They just wanna open discord and goddamn play fortnite already.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

8 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

There's no use arguing this when what Microsoft provide in service is really nice for the layman this aimed to. Yes, you can rant about the mass ET Phone Home that Microsoft do during idle or even in game, but these would just fall on deaf ears to layman that have no idea what you just bleated on, and probably have given their version of Draw My Life to Apple or Google. And besides, svchost memory leak that has been the malaise of most of these performance side rant will happen regardless of local or microsoft account on stock windows install. You will need to tweak the RAM compression to never kick in and that already requires registry tweaks which takes some basic technical knowhow.

All of these are intuitive for you and i but try to teach your aunt to do it once and then do it again. Distinguish what beginner need to know and what beginner could know if they wanna take it to the next level. But a huge chunk of people? They just wanna open discord and goddamn play fortnite already.

YOU CAN LOG into microsoft WITH a local account. You can choose which services to sign into. What if your microshit account gets banned from msoft services? Never EVER connect your access to your digital life to an account not owned by you, connect the individual SERVICES that you want and sign in to those as needed. 

Also thanks for the tip on the ram compression, im getting seemingly not right frames for my hardware and that may be another place to look. SEE this is USEFUL. 

The beginner and advanced person alike should be using LOCAL accounts , EVERYONE SHOULD BE USING LOCAL ACCOUNTS. It has worked that way for decades and no one has had an issue with it. 

We have a duty to inform the layman of at least having the OPTION to create a local account or show them the case, this is a person who has already built a pc in many cases so you can assume some level of competence. 

If i wanted to i could rant on how to disable right click, or have theming thats not garbage (like what they showed) but thats too much, this is fundemental, they need to know about local accs. 

Redacted because I watched the last little bit of the video whoops my bad, I apolgize. 

So what's the best anti-virus or protection for my new pc?

1 minute ago, rom4ster said:

YOU CAN LOG into microsoft WITH a local account. You can choose which services to sign into. What if your microshit account gets banned from msoft services?

Bold to assume i dont know jackshit about this. But the annoyance of having to relog into each services as you go will sets in for most people.

And im sorry, i never heard of anyone banned in the entire microsoft services because you think cheating on xbox is cool. Everything is isolated bans depending on what services you violate the TOS on. 

3 minutes ago, rom4ster said:

Never EVER connect your access to your digital life to an account not owned by you

When the account is free you are the product. You never truly own an online account, its always tied to the service and you have shared ownership. Same as how you never truly own the entire bank account until you drain all of the cash and do your business with your couch cushion, and yet people continue to own bank accounts even as they scream hate towards them all.

14 minutes ago, rom4ster said:

Also thanks for the tip on the ram compression, im getting seemingly not right frames for my hardware and that may be another place to look. SEE this is USEFUL. 

Yes but this is USELESS for someone without knowledge on how to use registry editor and may have twitch hands syndrome and accidentally made wrong registry entries. Sure most of these just go inert, but Windows is always a crapchute built with a bunch of wisconsin cheese wheels, you might be one wrong entry to a trip to DISM.

20 minutes ago, rom4ster said:

the OPTION

Let me use this to also mention the fact that they have mentioned the local account on boot workaround but it is a bit derpy that its just presented as a troubleshoot for no drivers found. But to me i say hanlon's razor and assume that again as i say in square 1, they just wanna make the guide streamlined for someone thats just getting started and a huge chance starting with a prebuilt or laptops. And again, more often than not the comprehensive login microsoft does help rather than hinder a user.

And finally, they have mentioned the closed source signalRGB a lot in sponsored and non sponsored capacity, and as much as i hate to say but they have superior product than OpenRGB for idiots. Sure, per LED is easier on Open but Signal has all preset and lighting orders pre done. All you need to do is add device, learn a bit about effects zoning and be done. Also these in house software also do more than just RGB, they also manage settings, macros, and game integration like with Chroma or iCue. They have mentioned how they are a bloat and you should disable startup on them, only turning them on if you need to flash certain settings or need to use specific functions (like for example the Logitech G steering wheels only act like a really dumbed down xbox controller without the G Hub or Gaming Software installed)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Bold to assume i dont know jackshit about this. But the annoyance of having to relog into each services as you go will sets in for most people.

And im sorry, i never heard of anyone banned in the entire microsoft services because you think cheating on xbox is cool. Everything is isolated bans depending on what services you violate the TOS on. 

When the account is free you are the product. You never truly own an online account, its always tied to the service and you have shared ownership. Same as how you never truly own the entire bank account until you drain all of the cash and do your business with your couch cushion, and yet people continue to own bank accounts even as they scream hate towards them all.

Yes but this is USELESS for someone without knowledge on how to use registry editor and may have twitch hands syndrome and accidentally made wrong registry entries. Sure most of these just go inert, but Windows is always a crapchute built with a bunch of wisconsin cheese wheels, you might be one wrong entry to a trip to DISM.

Let me use this to also mention the fact that they have mentioned the local account on boot workaround but it is a bit derpy that its just presented as a troubleshoot for no drivers found. But to me i say hanlon's razor and assume that again as i say in square 1, they just wanna make the guide streamlined for someone thats just getting started and a huge chance starting with a prebuilt or laptops. And again, more often than not the comprehensive login microsoft does help rather than hinder a user.

And finally, they have mentioned the closed source signalRGB a lot in sponsored and non sponsored capacity, and as much as i hate to say but they have superior product than OpenRGB for idiots. Sure, per LED is easier on Open but Signal has all preset and lighting orders pre done. All you need to do is add device, learn a bit about effects zoning and be done. Also these in house software also do more than just RGB, they also manage settings, macros, and game integration like with Chroma or iCue. They have mentioned how they are a bloat and you should disable startup on them, only turning them on if you need to flash certain settings or need to use specific functions (like for example the Logitech G steering wheels only act like a really dumbed down xbox controller without the G Hub or Gaming Software installed)

I assume we all know our shit here. We arguing on philosophy and direction. The whole ban thing is a bit paranoid but the danger is technically possible... I dont trust microshit after minecraft.  Also im a Wisconsin resident and most of the time we tend to have smaller cheeses so we get variety. But love the reference , love my state 🙂  Yeah I agree on your stuff about the tip, that was mostly useful for ME.  They did not encourage the use of a local account but instead just mentioned a way to bypass online connection. THey need to actually encourage the RIGHT way to do it. 

Now I redacted my openrgb comments as they were ill founded and not correct because i just missed that last part of the vid however thems FIGHTING WORDS.

OpenRGB just works. You can just set the colors. The only issue is it ... looks terrible. OpenRGB has a better support system and rougezeta/drno have even guided literal noobs on sharing the right data to get hardware supported. OpenRGB's only real flaw is its pretty bad UI. Signalrgb by contrast does the same garbage the other products do. 

44 minutes ago, wiiwelshman said:

I have personally heard the rainbow of viewpoints on this (and expect to hear even more as time goes on) all the way from windows defender or none is enough, I've heard Norton and McAfee are useless, I've heard it's a commodity so just depends on who has good features/price at the time and more.

Everyone has their own point of view on this. So with that in mind...I like Malwarebytes. I personally don't recommend Norton because I have not had a good experience with it also Webroot is pretty good.

Aside from that, as to "protection" I would argue putting forth 5% more effort than the rest of the world in having safe tech habits (by that I mean legit google or youtube a tutorial like "10 habits to stay safe online/for technology" and base everything on 1 or 2 results) will help a fair amount. Beyond that, I'd say do even more research than what I mentioned to really educate yourself on being safe online.....unless of course you've already done all that in which case I'd say onward!

2 hours ago, Phat32 said:

Who got ahold of the bleach? No one said anything before filming?

Or I’ve got a yellow stripe burned into my monitor. That only does it on people’s hair…?

what, in the name of ALL that's holy, are you talking about?

Jeremy Clarkson The Grand Tour GIF - Jeremy Clarkson The Grand Tour How ...

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 hours ago, wiiwelshman said:

Windows Defender and Common Sense.

2 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

Windows Defender and Common Sense.

well, common sense may or may not be all that common depending on where you are

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

Now we need the sequel for the Mac.

Just kidding, it'd probably be an hour of Linus criticizing the macOS setup process.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 2/9/2024 at 7:42 AM, GoStormPlays said:

it'd probably be an hour of Linus criticizing the macOS setup process

lol I could see that. Also as someone who used to have to setup PC after PC and Mac after Mac as a repair tech, I have to say the macOS setup process is definitely easier.  
Do I have a Mac bias? Yes. But I can appreciate both OSs and use both regularly.

57 minutes ago, DaITguy said:

I have to say the macOS setup process is definitely easier.  

Oh yeah it is definitely easier to set everything up; especially when you aren’t forced to update and sign in to an Apple ID like you are on Windows. 

However, I do find that it is hard to set up older Mac devices with iCloud because those connect to far slower Apple ID server (I’ve had to wait an upwards of five minutes sometimes just to sign in to my Apple ID). 

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:42 AM, GoStormPlays said:

Now we need the sequel for the Mac.

Just kidding, it'd probably be an hour of Linus criticizing the macOS setup process.

That's a great video for Mac Address, and I'd totally watch it.

Perhaps Jake can do a network/homelab, "I have a linux server on a network, now what?" for the intro to self hosting.

I think perhaps people aren't watching this video because they have it in watched later and will watch it when they get a new PC to setup so the content is fresh?

• 1 month later...

In this video there was listed a bunch of software tools for example:

Peace Equalizer

Hardware Info

CineBench 

At timestamp 35:21 there is this:

35:21

and for making sure that you didn't make any mistakes while you were installing your cooler. A simple combination stress test like Cinebench and Firmware

it sounds like the host is saying FirmArt?? I have re-watched that section several times and read the Transcript  but don't have a clue what the host is saying.   Its it possible he is saying Furmark?

To be honest I wish you guys included either the names of software you mention in the video or links.

David

18 minutes ago, abramesd said:

In this video there was listed a bunch of software tools for example:

Peace Equalizer

Hardware Info

CineBench 

At timestamp 35:21 there is this:

it sounds like the host is saying FirmArt?? I have re-watched that section several times and read the Transcript  but don't have a clue what the host is saying.   Its it possible he is saying Furmark?

To be honest I wish you guys included either the names of software you mention in the video or links.

David

Furmark.  Don't use it, it's basically a synthetic load that can do actual damage.  

Per EVGA technicians, they recommend NOT using it.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi