Partitioning question.

Gat Pelsinger

So I am going to re-install Windows, but I am first going to dual boot it, then if it works fine, delete the older Windows instance. But, I also plan to shrink my system partition, because I want have as fast boot time (and overall system drive performance) as possible, and I feel like shrinking the system partition and putting the data onto the other partition might increase performance. But, if I make an new separate partition of my C partition and install the new Windows on it, then after deleting the old Windows, will I be able to shrink my partition further? Because, visualize this, my Windows install currently, is allocated on the most left hand side of the my drive, and then there is some free space and then the different D partition is there. If I fill up my system partition with another Windows install, which will be allocated to the right of the current install, and then delete the old install, I don't think I will be able to shrink the partition, as the data of the new Windows resides there. The drive is effectively fragmented. Is this true?  

Edit - Yes, I will be able to shrink the volume, but I am talking about merging the free space with the D partition. I don't want to have a new separate partition because of this fragmentation.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

Merging is always somewhat unintuitive to those who don't have experience. In short, no, you will not be able to merge partitions. Practically speaking.

Test your new installation. If it works, wipe EVERYTHING and begin again on a BLANK drive - not trying to nudge partitions all over the place. Get it right from the start.

And this won't improve performance.

Agree with @whispous... if you must dual boot:

1. Create new partition
  2. Install Windows to new partition. 
  3. Confirm functionality
  4. Boot to Windows creation media again. 
  5. Delete both old partitions and create new, full sized partition
  6. Reinstall Windows.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

59 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

So I am going to re-install Windows, but I am first going to dual boot it, then if it works fine, delete the older Windows instance. But, I also plan to shrink my system partition, because I want have as fast boot time (and overall system drive performance) as possible, and I feel like shrinking the system partition and putting the data onto the other partition might increase performance. But, if I make an new separate partition of my C partition and install the new Windows on it, then after deleting the old Windows, will I be able to shrink my partition further? Because, visualize this, my Windows install currently, is allocated on the most left hand side of the my drive, and then there is some free space and then the different D partition is there. If I fill up my system partition with another Windows install, which will be allocated to the right of the current install, and then delete the old install, I don't think I will be able to shrink the partition, as the data of the new Windows resides there. The drive is effectively fragmented. Is this true?  

Edit - Yes, I will be able to shrink the volume, but I am talking about merging the free space with the D partition. I don't want to have a new separate partition because of this fragmentation.

Shrinking a partition on an SSD isn't going to speed it up. SSD's don't work the same as harddrives...

As mentioned shrinking a partition on an SSD is not useful for performance, it'll likely do the opposite. And an SSD "fragments" data on purpose for wear-leveling, although that's transparent to the OS.

If you remove a partition on the left you can grow the one on the right but only with 3rd party tools lile minitool (or gparted on linux), what it'll do is move the whole partition to the left, then grow it to the right.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@whispous @Skipple @Blue4130 @Kilrah

Will it be okay to just move the whole partition? Will that cause any problems? Also, then what programs are there which will allow me to do this?

Microsoft owns my soul.

1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Will it be okay to just move the whole partition? Will that cause any problems?

Move the whole partition... to where? I'm not understanding the question or what you're trying to do.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

My previous post answered both questions.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Move the whole partition... to where? I'm not understanding the question or what you're trying to do.

Like if I install the new Windows and delete the older instance, there is going to be partition fragmentation. I will not be able to merge the other side of my C partition with my D partition. So, can I just move the whole Windows instance across my partition so that I am able to merge it again?

Microsoft owns my soul.

7 hours ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Like if I install the new Windows and delete the older instance, there is going to be partition fragmentation. I will not be able to merge the other side of my C partition with my D partition. So, can I just move the whole Windows instance across my partition so that I am able to merge it again?

We've already told you to just wipe the whole disk again after you verify what you wanted, and size them from the beginning the correct way!