A budget baller screwdrver or bag

I just think LTTs sort of whole idea and community kinda is to get the best performance per dollar and i just dont think LTT screwdriver is it with a 70 dollar price tag. Sure they aren't blowing up the price to make better margins but I can get a screwdriver set (see picture attached) for 1/4 or a 1/3 of the price. I know its not as good but I just dont think its not a viable screwdriver for someone buying it other than to support the channels. Same points with the bag, LTT is all about bang for your buck and those products are just overkill like the Compensator PC. So please can we have some budget options. (videos there as example)

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

I just think LTTs sort of whole idea and community kinda is to get the best performance per dollar and i just dont think LTT screwdriver is it with a 70 dollar price tag. Sure they aren't blowing up the price to make better margins but I can get a screwdriver set (see picture attached) for 1/4 or a 1/3 of the price. I know its not as good but I just dont think its not a viable screwdriver for someone buying it other than to support the channels. Same points with the bag, LTT is all about bang for your buck and those products are just overkill like the Compensator PC. So please can we have some budget options. (videos there as example)

There already are budget screwdrivers. Just not from LTT.

I don't think you understand how pricing works or what the point of a ratcheting screwdriver is.

14 minutes ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

LTT is all about bang for your buck

And they are.

The screwdriver and backpack are good bank for the buck, on the high end side of course. The whole point of them was always quoted as "make it good, even if it's gonna be expensive".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

I just think LTTs sort of whole idea and community kinda is to get the best performance per dollar and i just dont think LTT screwdriver is it with a 70 dollar price tag.

Do you have one?

The feel is comparable to other screwdrivers in its price range, and even ones that cost more. It's not a $10 Kobalt or Stanley driver with $60 of margin on top.

And before anybody else posts it...

That said, they're reportedly working on fixed screwdrivers with handles similar to the ratcheting screwdriver. Linus has mentioned it on WAN Show before.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

funny you mention both the screwdriver and the backpack, because both very defenately originated from a personal need from linus.

iirc the screwdriver happened because linus lost his snap-on and in the consideration of what to buy, the idea of LTT making a "merch" screwdriver came up. so they made a ratcheting multi-tip screwdriver that both has a very fine ratchet (for those low back pressure pc building applications) and holds plenty of bits in a handle that's still a comfortable size.

the value proposition depends on a lot of things, but based on project farm's video it makes a VERY compelling offering, especially if you care about a very precise ratchet. which.. if you havent realised it yet, the fine ratchet is the party trick.

I dont own an LTT screwdriver, because i have a profound hatred for ratcheting drivers.. but that might be because both my ratcheting drivers are sloppy $10 pieces of garbage. my favourite driver is a flexible shaft driver, because i'm weird i guess.

as for the backpack.. the value proposition is that it's the only backpack that's designed to check all the boxes. i've spent AGES hunting for a new laptop bag, and i have to conclude literally every backpack and laptop bag maker forgets at least one thing.. for the bag i ended up buying - the laptop compatriment is not padded, at all.. which is a major miss.

clearly, this process is something that's happened at LMG too, because they decided to fix the problem in the best way they know: make a backpack that checks all the boxes, instead of making a backpack that hits a pricepoint.

the problem with a "budget offering" is that it'll suck. that's the unfortunate reality of the situation. a budget backpack is a shitty backpack, not being able to produce them at scale (i.e. hundreds of thousands) makes the value proposition worse.

likewise, see project farm video, cheap ratcheting drivers underperform. if you want a budget option, shipping from canada makes that worse.

15 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

That said, they're reportedly working on fixed screwdrivers with handles similar to the ratcheting screwdriver. Linus has mentioned it on WAN Show before.

dont expect those to be budget oriented screwdrivers though.. i bought 4 screwdrivers for a total of 20 bucks over a decade ago, and they're still perfectly fine. it's hard to make a value proposition against hardware store specials.

14 hours ago, manikyath said:

dont expect those to be budget oriented screwdrivers though.. i bought 4 screwdrivers for a total of 20 bucks over a decade ago, and they're still perfectly fine. it's hard to make a value proposition against hardware store specials.

Especially if you've got a Hazard Fraught in your neighborhood. "Lifetime warranty on all of our suspiciously cheap hand tools" is a tempting proposition. I've gotten plenty of use out of my 2.5 lb Pittsburgh dead blow hammer, from installing a floor to flattening chicken for the grill. (I wrapped it in a sandwich bag, it's fine.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Especially if you've got a Hazard Farught in your neighborhood. "Lifetime warranty on all of our suspiciously cheap hand tools" is a tempting proposition. I've gotten plenty of use out of my 2.5 lb Pittsburgh dead blow hammer, from installing a floor to flattening chicken for the grill. (I wrapped it in a sandwich bag, it's fine.)

I had a magnetized Pittsburgh screwdriver set (big/small phillips, big/small flathead, and little stubby versions of the big ones) and it served me very well for like 6-7 years doing PC retardation. And the flatheads have been used as prybars waaaaaaaay more than they have been used as screwdrivers, I'll tell you that much right now. They're still generally fine, the big phillips is a little wallered out and the magnetization is gone from all of them, but they're not unusable anymore.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

I can get a screwdriver set (see picture attached) for 1/4 or a 1/3 of the price.

A ratcheting screw driver is a different product class. 

Just for fun let's compare ratcheting vs fixed pricing: LTT screw driver are at the higher end. A good comparison would be PB-swiss. A 6 fixed screwdriver set is 35€. Their ratcheting screw driver without bits sells for 45€. Add a bits set and the ratcheting is 65€. That's nearly a factor two between them. Likely LTT will follow a similar price pattern.

4 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

I know its not as good but I just dont think its not a viable screwdriver for someone buying it other than to support the channels [...] LTT is all about bang for your buck and those products are just overkill

Value depends. As somebody who frequently uses a screwdriver the perceived value of a very nice tool over a good enough is high. As such I would say LTT screwdriver are bang for the buck. 

If you don't use it daily consider buying the Würth 06136104 or Inbus Flow as budget option. 

Without a ratchet with bit storage: Wiha liftup 25 for 25€. How would LTT beat this offering or add value at this price?

Another example:

I use a Ersa i-con nano as soldering station (200€) and would call this value optimized (for me): I get the nice i-tool without paying the price of an Ersa Icon 1 (500€). 

Would I recommend this station to somebody soldering once per year? Absolutely not. Horrible value.  Get a 50€ TS80.

People never go out of business.

5 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Especially if you've got a Hazard Farught in your neighborhood.

I understood that reference.

6 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

LTT is all about bang for your buck and those products are just overkill like the Compensator PC

I own a ifixit pro tech tool kit after using one in a IT program.

sure its expensive compared to chinesium kits but I argue buy once cry once for tools your going to daily use, I still use that tool kit 5 year later.

Could they go the chris fix approach and use mid range handtools sure, but since its there job well they are going to use nice stuff.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

A ratcheting screw driver is a different product class. 

Just for fun let's compare ratcheting vs fixed pricing: LTT screw driver are at the higher end. A good comparison would be PB-swiss. A 6 fixed screwdriver set is 35€. Their ratcheting screw driver without bits sells for 45€. Add a bits set and the ratcheting is 65€. That's nearly a factor two between them. Likely LTT will follow a similar price pattern.

Value depends. As somebody who frequently uses a screwdriver the perceived value of a very nice tool over a good enough is high. As such I would say LTT screwdriver are bang for the buck. 

If you don't use it daily consider buying the Würth 06136104 or Inbus Flow as budget option. 

Without a ratchet with bit storage: Wiha liftup 25 for 25€. How would LTT beat this offering or add value at this price?

Another example:

I use a Ersa i-con nano as soldering station (200€) and would call this value optimized (for me): I get the nice i-tool without paying the price of an Ersa Icon 1 (500€). 

Would I recommend this station to somebody soldering once per year? Absolutely not. Horrible value.  Get a 50€ TS80.

this is my point, for most people the 70 dollar LTT screwdriver is not worth it, im not saying its a bad product im saying for the average viewer its bad value

7 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Do you have one?

The feel is comparable to other screwdrivers in its price range, and even ones that cost more. It's not a $10 Kobalt or Stanley driver with $60 of margin on top.

And before anybody else posts it...

im not saying its a bad value product but a bad value for an average viewer who would only use their screwdriver once a fortnight

every one im not saying its a bad value product but a bad value for an average viewer who would only use their screwdriver once a fortnight

58 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I understood that reference.

I own a ifixit pro tech tool kit after using one in a IT program.

sure its expensive compared to chinesium kits but I argue buy once cry once for tools your going to daily use, I still use that tool kit 5 year later.

Could they go the chris fix approach and use mid range handtools sure, but since its there job well they are going to use nice stuff.

im saying the average viewer doesnt use it every day

7 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I don't think you understand how pricing works or what the point of a ratcheting screwdriver is.

im not saying that ltt has bad pricing or that ratcheting screwdrivers arent better im saying that it bad value unless you use it like 4 or 5 times a week which the average viewer doesnt do

5 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

im not saying its a bad value product but a bad value for an average viewer who would only use their screwdriver once a fortnight

Tell me how LTT could add value to a fixed shaft with bit storage?

Just naming one competitor: Wiha LiftUp 25: 12 bits, pop up bit storage that is even tilted for easy access and 25€ retail price.

https://www.wiha.com/gb/en/tools/innovations/227/screwdriver-with-liftup-25-magnetic-bit-magazine?c=8998

Realistically LTT would reuse the design/mold of the ratcheting screwdriver and install a fixed shaft with removable bits. 

Plastic body? Don't think this is a benefit compared to the "rubber" competitor.

Shape? Probably not ideal for a fixed shaft.  The round Wiha or the Wera shape is the better option.

Shorty bit? No. Wiha does it with standard size bits so that's another "issue" with such a potential product.

In a nutshell most of the compromises that worked out on the LTT ratchet  screwdriver would turn into an issue for this with little to no value added. This means they couldn't charge significantly more than 25€ before it is bad value.

For fixed shaft without removable bits: Just wait. they are working on it.

People never go out of business.

7 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

im saying the average viewer doesnt use it every day

It's not for your average viewer.

Look at ltt store and think what is the average buyer.

Like sure it's PC gamers but I guarantee you most people know enough not to buy it.

It's either technicians or super fans like @soldier_ph

The backpack is actually pretty reasonably priced (ok your asking a photographer that seen bags go to 400 dollars) but a average high end tier commuter back pack is around 200 dollars.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I don't watch any content from LMG anymore but I am still gonna buy stuff from LTT Store because they have amazing Products which are High Quality and work great.

Regarding the Backpack: I've been looking for a proper Backpack for a Techie like me who wants to be able to carry a lot of stuff but have it well organized and well protected inside the Bag. So I happily paid 250$ for the Bag and I like it a lot.

Regarding the Screwdriver: I've wanted a better Screwdriver to work on PCs and other Tech than my iFixit precision driver and as soon as LTT released their Screwdriver I bought both long Blackshaft Versions because I knew I wanted to have one Screwdriver live at Home in my drawer and one in my Backpack. Also bought the Blackshaft Version of the Stuby when they released that. Cute little Screwdriver which already came in handy. They're amazing Screwdrivers, am glad that I bought them and it's nice using them. Also it's a fidget toy so yay.

Yeah I've bought lots of Stuff from LTT Store because I appreciate the quality and attention to detail they put into their Products. Us Backpack buyers are currently still waiting for the replacement zippers to be sent out, luckily mine haven't broken yet. As per the latest E-Mail they've sent out they're still working on producing the replacement zippers. I mean I don't watch the WAN Show anymore so idk if there was an Update on that.

So before you call me an absolute LTT shill or anything like that just know that I buy Merch from other YouTubers too like GamersNexus and JerryRigEverything. I post everything I buy in the "show off your latest purchase" Thread so you can go and have a look yourself.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

14 hours ago, Monkey with a keyboard said:

im saying that it bad value unless you use it like 4 or 5 times a week

It doesn't change its value in absolute terms, but it may change its value to the owner.

I have tools I cheaped out on, but in the form of something I use twice a year, the "real thing" would be 1 grand, I got me a $150 version instead that has a bunch of caveats but I can work with them and I couldn't justify the difference with that little use.

For anything <$100 I'll go for quality regardless since I've been hit by the "buy cheap, buy twice" enough times to have lost enough money on poor tools to cover for proper ones.

I also didn't like ratcheting screwdrivers but it turns out it's because they were garbage.

I have an iFixit precision set but while the driver is comfortable and the bits are fine and durable I've been increasingly annoyed by how often the bit falls off the driver because of a weak magnet, especially since experiencing how one that actually holds and also properly holds a screw is with the LTT screwdriver... so I'm gonna buy their precision one whenever it comes.

Having something that's actually enjoyable to use is worth quite a bit once you know how frustrating the alternative can be, and sometimes it can be just 40 bucks difference between a piece of junk and something great.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2