Seasonic Focus GX-850 Questions/clarifications

aaziz99

1. I was using the cultists.network PSU tier list and was a bit confused by the Seasonic models listed in Tier A and I wanted to make sure the Seasonic Focus GX-850 is a Tier A PSU as it seems like a super high quality but reasonably priced PSU.

2. I’ve seen people recommending the Focus Plus Gold models, is there a difference to that and the Focus GX models? If so, which should I choose?

3. Lastly, how are the noise levels for the Seasonic Focus GX/Focus Plus Gold models? I saw some comments  the Corsair RMX Shift models are quieter, any truth to this or any actually noticeable difference between the two PSU’s noise levels?

I can’t talk about tier lists and I personally don’t care about any of them.

Seasonic for some reason uses Focus Plus branding on multiple variants of PSUs aging from 2015 to date. GX850 is the trusty worthy model number, rely on that.

I got GX650 and I have NEVER even seen its fan turn on let alone hear it. I really like it. It also has a button to enforce for even quieter operations.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

13 minutes ago, aaziz99 said:

2. I’ve seen people recommending the Focus Plus Gold models, is there a difference to that and the Focus GX models? If so, which should I choose?

Yes there is. There's a thread about the Focus Plus here.

Unless you're buying somewhere with very old stock, it should be a non-issue as I don't think they're in production anymore.

The GX PSUs shouldn't have that problem.

7 hours ago, Tetras said:

Yes there is. There's a thread about the Focus Plus here.

Unless you're buying somewhere with very old stock, it should be a non-issue as I don't think they're in production anymore.

The GX PSUs shouldn't have that problem.

Oh gotcha so the Focus GX model is just the new name for the Focus Plus (which are now outdated)?

7 hours ago, Levent said:

I can’t talk about tier lists and I personally don’t care about any of them.

Seasonic for some reason uses Focus Plus branding on multiple variants of PSUs aging from 2015 to date. GX850 is the trusty worthy model number, rely on that.

I got GX650 and I have NEVER even seen its fan turn on let alone hear it. I really like it. It also has a button to enforce for even quieter operations.

Gotcha thank you for your insight and reassurances I think I will commit to getting the Focus GX850

1 hour ago, aaziz99 said:

I will commit to getting the Focus GX850

Why? It's not ATX3.0 and compared the other Tier A unit Seasonic has a mediocore fan, thin PCIe cables, standard mini fit connectors instead of heat resistant HCS connectors and is the fan controlled by an analog controller without hysterisis.

5 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Why? It's not ATX3.0 and compared the other Tier A unit Seasonic has a mediocore fan, thin PCIe cables, standard mini fit connectors instead of heat resistant HCS connectors and is the fan controlled by an analog controller without hysterisis.

Because the other power supplies are significantly more expensive, and I don’t think I’ll need an ATX 3.0 PSU for something like a 7800XT/7900XT(X). 

do you have a specific recommendation of a different model that would be better than the Focus GX850?

7 hours ago, aaziz99 said:

Oh gotcha so the Focus GX model is just the new name for the Focus Plus (which are now outdated)?

Correct. The Focus Plus should have been cleared from stock around 2019-2020.

16 minutes ago, aaziz99 said:

Because the other power supplies are significantly more expensive, and I don’t think I’ll need an ATX 3.0 PSU for something like a 7800XT/7900XT(X). 

Yeah, they use the old 8 pins, so don't need the 12VHWPR cable in PCIE5 PSUs.

17 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Correct. The Focus Plus should have been cleared from stock around 2019-2020.

Yeah, they use the old 8 pins, so don't need the 12VHWPR cable in PCIE5 PSUs.

Ya I feel like if I have enough money to get a GPU that uses the 12VHWPR cable from an ATX 3.0 PSU I should also be able to afford a new PSU that allows me to do that instead of using the adapter stuff.

9 minutes ago, aaziz99 said:

Ya I feel like if I have enough money to get a GPU that uses the 12VHWPR cable from an ATX 3.0 PSU I should also be able to afford a new PSU that allows me to do that instead of using the adapter stuff.

The PSU side of cables don't matter. The same way SATA cables and PCIe cables aren't adapters, using the 8 pins on the PSU side for a 12VHPWR cable is not an adapter.

:)

1 hour ago, aaziz99 said:

I should also be able to afford a new PSU that allows me to do that instead of using the adapter stuff.

You wouldn't need to anyway, since if you don't want to use the adapter, you can buy a cable from Seasonic that plugs directly into the PSU. It would work fine with the GX-850.

8 hours ago, Tetras said:

You wouldn't need to anyway, since if you don't want to use the adapter, you can buy a cable from Seasonic that plugs directly into the PSU. It would work fine with the GX-850.

Oh okay so I did some additional research, so you’re saying the non ATX 3.0 version can just use a cable from Seasonic that does 2 8-pin sockets and converts it to the 12VHPWR? Idk I’m kinda just tempted to spend the extra $40 for the ATX 3.0 version to make it simple for myself.

9 minutes ago, aaziz99 said:

Oh okay so I did some additional research, so you’re saying the non ATX 3.0 version can just use a cable from Seasonic that does 2 8-pin sockets and converts it to the 12VHPWR?

Yup, it plugs directly into your PSU's modular ports (if you have 2 free PCI-E ports, which the GX-850 does).

12 minutes ago, aaziz99 said:

Idk I’m kinda just tempted to spend the extra $40 for the ATX 3.0 version to make it simple for myself.

You might never need the cable, I was just saying: if you ever do, you can buy one (rather than replacing the whole PSU).