I think I broke my headphones.

NinjaPleze
Go to solution Solved by creatip123,

Your next step is to plug other headphones into your onboard sound  ;)

I don't think that's really needed. The facts are:

- Headphone plugged to PC, in the past = working

- Headphone plugged to PC, now = buzzing

- Headphone plugged to other sources = working greatly

From that 3 points alone is enough to conclude that the problem comes from the PC, not the headphone, and not because that particular headphone can't 'connect' with the PC, because it worked before.

Most likely mobo's problem. Get an external DAC for replacement. 

So about 6 months ago I bought a pair of ath-m30s. I like to listen to my music loud but I don't listen to a whole lot of music while I'm on my computer. Today, Played a clip with music and I turned up the volume only to get buzzing. 

Guess I blew out the drivers?

I don't know much about audio so I have no clue. 

What can I do?

Do I buy a new pair? 

What set of headphones will last me forever that allow loud music and decent base?

CPU - AMD 6800k; Mobo - ASRock FM2A88M-HD+; RAM G. SKill 8GB(2x4gb); GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580; Case - NZXT H230; Storage - Toshiba 1tb HDD, OCZ Agility 3 120 gb; Silverstone 600w 80+ bronze; Display - Dell 24 in., Generic 20 in.; Cooling - Antec Kuhler H20 620; Keyboard - Genereic Dell; Mouse - Logitech m510; Sound - Syba USB 2.0 DAC

Check warranty, if thats a no go buy a new headphone. I'd take a look a Audio Technica or AKG pairs.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

So about 6 months ago I bought a pair of ath-m30s. I like to listen to my music loud but I don't listen to a whole lot of music while I'm on my computer. Today, Played a clip with music and I turned up the volume only to get buzzing. 

Guess I blew out the drivers?

I don't know much about audio so I have no clue. 

What can I do?

Do I buy a new pair? 

What set of headphones will last me forever that allow loud music and decent base?

It depends. It could be one or more of the following:

1) Blew out the drivers

2) Whatever you had them plugged in couldn't 'hang' with the headphones.

3) Software.. Maybe? Doubtful, but still a possibility.

Try them on another source. If they're still buzzing, then it's probably the drivers inside.

If they're out cold; if you enjoyed the sound profile and sound stage they provided, I would go with the ATH-M50's.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Those headphones have a 2 year warranty.  They should still be covered.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

So on a different device they sound fine. In fact, they feel more like they did when I first got them. Real intimate. So what's the next step in diagnosing my problem? Software or hardware?

CPU - AMD 6800k; Mobo - ASRock FM2A88M-HD+; RAM G. SKill 8GB(2x4gb); GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580; Case - NZXT H230; Storage - Toshiba 1tb HDD, OCZ Agility 3 120 gb; Silverstone 600w 80+ bronze; Display - Dell 24 in., Generic 20 in.; Cooling - Antec Kuhler H20 620; Keyboard - Genereic Dell; Mouse - Logitech m510; Sound - Syba USB 2.0 DAC

So I still haven't figured out what is wrong here. Is there a problem with my onboard sound? Do I need a new sound card? Where do I go from here. I'm tired of hearing buzzing.

So I still haven't figured out what is wrong here. Is there a problem with my onboard sound? Do I need a new sound card? Where do I go from here. I'm tired of hearing buzzing.

From that 3 points alone is enough to conclude that the problem comes from the PC, not the headphone, and not because that particular headphone can't 'connect' with the PC, because it worked before.

Thank you. Any other recommendations on the dac?

Sorry, but just to clarify: If I buy a dac/amp and plug it into my mobo won't I still have the same problem? What if I got a soundcard? Would that solve the problem? Found this Xonar for cheaper than the dac 'cause price is an issue here. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS

I know it's probably overkill, but it really costs nothing to check. If it's still an issue there are other things to try:

• Install updated drivers
  • Check for physical damage on the motherboard
  • Clean connections
  • Check obstructions in the output socket

Yes it's likely the soundcard is dead, but there's nothing wrong with being thorough.

You're going to want a dac and amp so my recommendations are (in no particular order):

• Aune T1 (or updated T2): If you're interested in the vacuum tube rolling hoodoo. I have a T1 myself and it's extremely competent for the price.
  • O2/ODAC: Excellent DAC coupled with a competent amp (it was a designed as a portable amp so suffers from those design problems, but otherwise powers the vast majority of headphones well). I also have this and it's well priced for what it is.
  • Schiit Magni/Modi: Also a great choice for the price. Will power vast majority of headphones well too. 

As an aside - These will all power the majority dynamic headphones well, though if you're thinking of upgrading to planar magentics in the future, probably choose the Schiit combo or the Aune.

Sorry, but just to clarify: If I buy a dac/amp and plug it into my mobo won't I still have the same problem? What if I got a soundcard? Would that solve the problem? Found this Xonar for cheaper than the dac 'cause price is an issue here. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS

The external DAC will do the conversions thereby bypassing any issue the onboard sound had, just as a new sound card would also get past the issue. Get the cheaper option if that works for you  :)

Well, from what I understand, these dacs are made to power much stronger drivers so what is the equivalent dac for my ath-m30s?

Well, from what I understand, these dacs are made to power much stronger drivers so what is the equivalent dac for my ath-m30s?

DACs are only digital-to-analog converters, it's the amplifiers that power the headphones. And it's really more about whether what you're currently using can make you're headphones loud enough.

With your M30s I believe the sound card you posted will make them loud enough to be enjoyable. A better amp can bring out some nuances in the music/sounds you're playing, but ultimately these difference can go unnoticed so I wouldn't let that worry you too much.

The above suggested Syba DAC/amp is more than sufficient for your M30s. Aune, Schiit and O2+ODAC are overkill in this situation unless you hate money. Rest assured that the Syba will grow with you should you choose a moderate upgrade for your headphones in the future.

Welcome to the wonderful world of audio. Where caveats abound!

The above suggested Syba DAC/amp is more than sufficient for your M30s. Aune, Schiit and O2+ODAC are overkill in this situation unless you hate money. Rest assured that the Syba will grow with you should you choose a moderate upgrade for your headphones in the future.

SSL is right if you want to get started on the path of "audio nirvana". It really is about what you're willing to spend, but what said is I am recommending that you just get the soundcard you posted or an alternative cheap solution. I'm getting the impression you only want a solution to your audio problem and not some crazy path of perfect sound.

The Syba is well priced for what it is though, but it would be more expensive than the soundcard you posted.

Welcome to the wonderful world of audio. Where caveats abound!

SSL is right if you want to get started on the path of "audio nirvana". It really is about what you're willing to spend, but that said I am recommending is that you just get the soundcard you posted or an alternative cheap solution. I'm getting the impression you only want a solution to your audio problem and not some crazy path of perfect sound.

The Syba is well priced for what it is though, but it would be more expensive than the soundcard you posted.

Mm, I didn't see the soundcard before. Definitely an option as well.

Well, thank you all so much. I really appreciate it. Got the m30s cause I wanted something that was better than all the cheap ies I usually got. I'll probably get the sybla cause I do want a better sound experience as the m30s dont really satisfy my bass requirements so down the line I'll upgrade. Thanks again.

Before that, try your onboard with another set of headphones, just to check. 

What's with the crazy overkill suggestions, O2/dac for this? A $30 Asus soundcard would work fine, wouldn't it?

I second this, after he checks onboard with another pair of headphones. 

What's with the crazy overkill suggestions, O2/dac for this? A $30 Asus soundcard would work fine, wouldn't it?

I second this, after he checks onboard with another pair of headphones. 

Did you guys read the part where I said to get the $30 soundcard?

OP ultimately made the choice to go with the Syba dac/amp.

Did you guys read the part where I said to get the $30 soundcard?

OP ultimately made the choice to go with the Syba dac/amp.

Yeah, you recommended something after only troubleshooting one of two possible problems, you half assed the job and then called it game. 

Yeah, you recommended something after only troubleshooting one of two possible problems, you half assed the job and then called it game. 

Cmon, "half arsed"? Suggestions for a dac/amp were asked for and that's what I gave.

If you're had read any of the replies posted before yours, you would have seen that I already suggested to test out another pair of headphones and it got shot down in the best answer in this thread. My replies were helpful, but what would you consider yours?