Worried about PSU

Duti

So i built my first pc in december 2017, with an r5 1600 and a 1060 6gb, loved it, but now i m upgrading to a 5700x and 4060Ti.
My current psu is a Corsair CX550M and i was wondering if i'm due a psu upgrade too. I don't want to risk these new parts going down the drain bcs of an old psu.

I have to mention that i don't plan on overclocking.

2 minutes ago, Duti said:

So i built my first pc in december 2017, with an r5 1600 and a 1060 6gb, loved it, but now i m upgrading to a 5700x and 4060Ti.
My current psu is a Corsair CX550M and i was wondering if i'm due a psu upgrade too.

1) Don't buy a 4060Ti, it is a bad value. What is your budget for this upgrade?

2) You probably should upgrade the PSU to a 650 or 750W one.

3) You need to make sure your motherboard VRMs can handel powering a 5700x cause there is a very good chance they can't, what motherboard do your have?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1. Why do you say it's bad value? The budget for the graphics card is 550$ - converted from my currency
2. It's either keep the 550 or upgrade to 650 so ig that would be a good choice.
3. The mobo is a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3. I thought with the 5700x being rated at the same tdp(65W) as the 1600 that it wouldn't be a problem.  

17 minutes ago, Duti said:

1. Why do you say it's bad value? The budget for the graphics card is 550$ - converted from my currency
2. It's either keep the 550 or upgrade to 650 so ig that would be a good choice.
3. The mobo is a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3. I thought with the 5700x being rated at the same tdp(65W) as the 1600 that it wouldn't be a problem.  

1) A 3060ti performs the same and sometimes better whilst normallt being the cheaper card. Then there are the rx6700 and 6700xt which are both FASTER, have more vram and are normally cheaper too. Hence why the 4060 and 4060ti is a bad value as it doesnt even replace the previous 60 series in any way that is better value.

2. All cards I mentioned will work on your 550m but that is also it's limit upgrade it later

3. The 5700x DOES consume more power. The board you have does handle a 1800x but gets a bit toasty doing it so a lower powered 5700x should be fine.

27 minutes ago, Duti said:

1) The answer to "why you shouldn't buy a 4060Ti" depends on which varient of the 4060Ti your looking at. If your looking at a 4060 Ti 8GB then you shouldn't buy it because it dosn't have enough Vram which will cause either stuttering or failure to load textures in newer GPU intensive games. if your looking at the 4060 Ti 16GB, then you shouldn't buy it because it probably more expensive than a RX7700XT or a RX6800 which will be on average about 14% to 16% faster. TLDR: the 4060Ti either dosn't have enough VRam or performs worse than cheaper cards.

3) The default TDP of both CPUs is 65W but when boosting the 5700x consumes alot more (up to about 154W) than the 1600 does (only 89W). However, the CPU is on your motherboards supported list, so it should be fine.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

1) A 3060ti performs the same and sometimes better whilst normallt being the cheaper card. Then there are the rx6700 and 6700xt which are both FASTER, have more vram and are normally cheaper too. Hence why the 4060 and 4060ti is a bad value as it doesnt even replace the previous 60 series in any way that is better value.

2. All cards I mentioned will work on your 550m but that is also it's limit upgrade it later

3. The 5700x DOES consume more power. The board you have does handle a 1800x but gets a bit toasty doing it so a lower powered 5700x should be fine.

1.  Not in my country sadly the price difference is close to none and in some cases the 4060ti is cheaper.
2.  Will sure do.

3. Yes, i've forgotten the boosting part. 

btw any advice on flashing the bios for the new cpu?

2 hours ago, will0hlep said:

1) The answer to "why you shouldn't buy a 4060Ti" depends on which varient of the 4060Ti your looking at. If your looking at a 4060 Ti 8GB then you shouldn't buy it because it dosn't have enough Vram which will cause either stuttering or failure to load textures in newer GPU intensive games. if your looking at the 4060 Ti 16GB, then you shouldn't buy it because it probably more expensive than a RX7700XT or a RX6800 which will be on average about 14% to 16% faster. TLDR: the 4060Ti either dosn't have enough VRam or performs worse than cheaper cards.

3) The default TDP of both CPUs is 65W but when boosting the 5700x consumes alot more (up to about 154W) than the 1600 does (only 89W). However, the CPU is on your motherboards supported list, so it should be fine.

1. In my country they are priced higher than the 4060ti, atleast higher than the one i found 4060Ti aero oc 16 gb from Gigabyte

It's not set in stone yet, but value wise is the best i found. Will be trying other vendors.

3.Great, honestly it's a relief.

12 minutes ago, Duti said:

1.  Not in my country sadly the price difference is close to none and in some cases the 4060ti is cheaper.
2.  Will sure do.

3. Yes, i've forgotten the boosting part. 

Follow the instructions on the website basically its not hard.

As for gpu are the rx6700/6700xt an option?

37 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Follow the instructions on the website basically its not hard.

As for gpu are the rx6700/6700xt an option?

Okay thanks

For the gpu's either sold out or higher priced. Ig i'll be on the lookout for one.