why am i stuck on below 100mb/s?

GhostzzU

I dont know why my internet is getting below 100mb/s
i have a cat6 cable connected to my router, and also have a 1gig plan
but in my settings says the speed is 100mb/s, how do i change that?
image.png.1870e825ff1dabbf7fbe4e4c9ba69d98.png

14 minutes ago, GhostzzU said:

I dont know why my internet is getting below 100mb/s
i have a cat6 cable connected to my router, and also have a 1gig plan
but in my settings says the speed is 100mb/s, how do i change that?

IT's most likely the current router you have doesn't support gigbit speed. You can check this via googling your model number and checking what the WAN/LAN connections are. if hte LAN connections are just 100 speed then you're stuck at 100MBPS period.

IF you need a new router, you can usually go the used route it'll be cheaper overall.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Another easy step I'm surprised nobody else mentioned: just try rebooting your router. My Nighthawk R7000 used to have a thing where once a month it'd drop to 100Mbps and I'd have to reboot it to get back up to 1Gbps.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

just try rebooting

The classic

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Also check the router's settings. Mine has the option to switch individual ports between Power Mode/Green mode. Green mode limits them to 100 Mbps:

Spoiler

image.png.6153e6d92f48ebce2a9a5e1d1eaca688.png

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

20 hours ago, GhostzzU said:

how do i change that?

Energy efficient Ethernet/ Green Ethernet etc, will reduce port speeh when not being utilized.  I do not know how this saves power, but it must if features like this exist and engineers took the time to build in the firmware to make it work.

Do a speed test and check if it is above 100 mbit/s, and if so, how long does the switch port stay at 1 Gbit speed, and then slow down again?

This can be disabled, but unless it prevents you from accessing higher throughput, I see no logical reason to do so.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.