Why does Instagram not allow me to use photos from my camera?

Go to solution Solved by Caveman0407,
4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

How exactly are they preventing you from using them, do you get some error message or similar?

Basically, When I try to post a picture from my camera it simply doesn't show up as an option to select. I can go to my gallery app and try posting an image through that but only stories and reels work while posts do not (I'm trying to post something). What I'm doing right now is just transfering the images I want to post and moving them off the sd card (where they're originally stored)

Update: that worked. But it would still be nice to be able to acces the SD card again

Photos from what I screenshot, photos from what I download, and random photos from Whatsapp work but why not camera photos?

How exactly are they preventing you from using them, do you get some error message or similar?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Basically, When I try to post a picture from my camera it simply doesn't show up as an option to select. I can go to my gallery app and try posting an image through that but only stories and reels work while posts do not (I'm trying to post something). What I'm doing right now is just transfering the images I want to post and moving them off the sd card (where they're originally stored)

Update: that worked. But it would still be nice to be able to acces the SD card again

1 minute ago, Caveman0407 said:

Basically, When I try to post a picture from my camera it simply doesn't show up as an option to select.

What format is the image in? My first guess would be it's something Instagram either doesn't support, or it may be too large.

Or do you mean you're trying to post an image that is still stored on your camera that you haven't copied to your PC?

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

What format is the image in? My first guess would be it's something Instagram either doesn't support, or it may be too large.

Or do you mean you're trying to post an image that is still stored on your camera that you haven't copied to your PC?

Jpeg. I transfered the files off a micro sd card and moved them to the on board storage and it worked (updated the post). Though, it would still be nice if it wroked directly to the sd card

Update 2: 

There's this recent reddit thread that basically has the same issue I have

5 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

Jpeg. I transfered the files off a micro sd card and moved them to the on board storage and it worked (updated the post). Though, it would still be nice if it wroked directly to the sd card

That's most likely a (security) limitation of the browser more than anything. If the SD card doesn't show up in the file selection dialog, that's an issue with the browser, not something Instagram can solve.

Since you said onboard storage, I assume you're on a mobile device? Definitely a security restriction. Apps (including your browser) generally can't access removable storage, at least without additional permissions.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's most likely a (security) limitation of the browser more than anything. If the SD card doesn't show up in the file selection dialog, that's an issue with the browser, not something Instagram can solve.

Since you said onboard storage, I assume you're on a mobile device? Definitely a security restriction. Apps (including your browser) generally can't access removable storage, at least without additional permissions.

There's this reddit thread (I posted above) that has the same issue as I have. I'm not using a browser, I'm using the IG app. It seems to be an issue with IG itself. So until they do something about it, I'll probably be moving my pictures from sd to on board for the meantime. And btw, IG used to be able to access my sd card (last time I posted was 1st January and those contained images from my sd card)

4 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

And btw, IG used to be able to access my sd card (last time I posted was 1st January and those contained images from my sd card)

Did you install an OS update in the meantime?

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Did you install an OS update in the meantime?

yes. One UI 6, Android 14. Probably the cause of my issue

4 minutes ago, Caveman0407 said:

yes. One UI 6, Android 14. Probably the cause of my issue

Yep, most likely. Android 14 does include new security restrictions for apps, so that's likely what's preventing the app from accessing the SD card now.

~edit: This might be it: https://developer.android.com/about/versions/14/changes/partial-photo-video-access

So probably Instagram will have to update their app accordingly

3 minutes ago, RageTester said:

It's called MiXplorer

Ah yes, downloading a random APK from an unknown source is always a good idea. Do you know for a fact they've updated their APK to work with Android 14's new storage restrictions?

Looks like there's an official version on the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.silver

But apparently the storage restrictions also affect older versions: https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOnAndroid/comments/17l5vaj/the_loophole_that_file_managers_were_using_to_get/

On 1/28/2024 at 5:56 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Ah yes, downloading a random APK from an unknown source is always a good idea. Do you know for a fact they've updated their APK to work with Android 14's new storage restrictions?

Looks like there's an official version on the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mixplorer.silver

But apparently the storage restrictions also affect older versions: https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOnAndroid/comments/17l5vaj/the_loophole_that_file_managers_were_using_to_get/

Well Android 9 works just fine for me, don't know anyone with Android 14. First world problems I guess...

Not saying you should leave HTTP server always on...

And I have used Bitcoin lightning wallet on same phone, nobody hacked that away...