The PS5 can do 4K up to 120fps... but if only played at 1080p, can it go higher or is it hard capped at 120fps?

Go to solution Solved by will0hlep,
16 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

My console friend is thinking of buying a cheap high-frame rate monitor.

He has a PS5 and has just been playing on a normal TV for a few years. He is so into Fortnite though (and other FPS games like COD) that he now wants to utilize the 120-frames that the PS5 can handle. (Which I believe is up to 120 frames at 4K, obviously game dependent.)

Anyway, he is happy playing at 1080p and there are plenty of cheap 165Hz and even 240Hz 1080p monitors out there. Of course, anything over 120Hz will be useless though if the PS5 is hard capped at 120 frames regardless of resolution and he would be better off saving his money and just buying a cheap 120Hz (more likely 144Hz due to availability) pre-owned monitor. - He is an adult student, so doesn't have lots of money to spend.

Anyone know the answer for sure?

The PS5 is limited to a maximum of 120hz (regardless of the res)

He has a PS5 and has just been playing on a normal TV for a few years. He is so into Fortnite though (and other FPS games like COD) that he now wants to utilize the 120-frames that the PS5 can handle. (Which I believe is up to 120 frames at 4K, obviously game dependent.)

Anyway, he is happy playing at 1080p and there are plenty of cheap 165Hz and even 240Hz 1080p monitors out there. Of course, anything over 120Hz will be useless though if the PS5 is hard capped at 120 frames regardless of resolution and he would be better off saving his money and just buying a cheap 120Hz (more likely 144Hz due to availability) pre-owned monitor. - He is an adult student, so doesn't have lots of money to spend.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

So heres the thing, PS5 cant actually get 4k 120 fps at all. The HDMI port is rated for 4k 120, but the actual console itself will do 4k 30 fps or 4k 60 fps. Its a marketing lie.

Most Consoles are hard capped at certain frame rates due to thermal and power limits, as far as i know the PS5 is hard limited to that60 hz in most games, rarely hitting that 120hz mark at most even at 1080p

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

So heres the thing, PS5 cant actually get 4k 120 fps at all. The HDMI port is rated for 4k 120, but the actual console itself will do 4k 30 fps or 4k 60 fps. Its a marketing lie.

There are some games that run 4K 120

16 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

The PS5 is limited to a maximum of 120hz (regardless of the res)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

• 2 weeks later...

he just told you. no it wont do 4k120. it will do 1080p/120 but only on side scroller games or less demanding 3d titles. get a refurbished desktop or laptop with that 650 cad. you can litterally get a 3050 gaming laptop that will be able to do 4k/120 in more games than the ps5 will(0)

On 2/6/2024 at 8:20 AM, jre84 said:

he just told you. no it wont do 4k120. it will do 1080p/120 but only on side scroller games or less demanding 3d titles. get a refurbished desktop or laptop with that 650 cad. you can litterally get a 3050 gaming laptop that will be able to do 4k/120 in more games than the ps5 will(0)

There's a good handful of games that do 120fps at above 1080p but most ps5 games don't have a fixed resolution. Anywhere from for example 1120p to 2160p. Some games are 900p-1440p etc 

The call of duty games, destiny, Tony hawk off the top of my head 

A gaming laptop with a good gpu will do better, but it's incorrect to say ps5 doesn't do it.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R