Ethernet only providing half the speed on my PC(works fine on other devices)

Infinzxt

I'm running windows 11.

The motherboard is the Gigabyte X570I AORUS PRO WIFI.

I ran ethernet because the house has terrible wifi signal.

We have Gigabit speed, however I am pulling ~~400mbps. I tested the cable on two roommates PCs and both were getting gigabit speed.

This rules out the cable/router from being the issue.

The manual says the connection speed LED will flash orange for Gbps data rate, which it does.

I updated every bios from Gigabytes webpage for the motherboard.

I think this rules out the bios?

I booted from Linux with a USB stick and got the same issue.

I think that also rules out windows being the problem.

I am lost as to what the issue could be at this point. Like I can live with 400 mbps but I just want to know why its not full speed.

I ruled out the internet, cable, windows, and bios, so I think that leaves me with it being a hardware issue? but if it was that how is it still getting some of the speed.

Any ideas as to what's wrong is appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Infinzxt said:

type in in start menu, "ncpa.cpl" w/o quotes

go to your network adapter > properties > configure , and find/adjust the speed of the adapter to full duplex or change the speed in one of the options to 1GB/s or something along those lines or 10/100 or 100/1000  something along that in order to reach max potential speed. It could be the the adapter is configured wrongly

here is an image of what i'm talking about. In your case select the 1.0 GBPS full duplex

image.thumb.png.9b373fc6cfac41446b72de2802c1d5b7.png

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What speeds are you expecting? How are you testing? 

You could try a USB->Ethernet adapter to see if this bypasses the issue.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Did you download the latest LAN driver from gigabyte's webpage for this motherboard?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 hours ago, SImoHayha said:

type in in start menu, "ncpa.cpl" w/o quotes

go to your network adapter > properties > configure , and find/adjust the speed of the adapter to full duplex or change the speed in one of the options to 1GB/s or something along those lines or 10/100 or 100/1000  something along that in order to reach max potential speed. It could be the the adapter is configured wrongly

here is an image of what i'm talking about. In your case select the 1.0 GBPS full duplex

image.thumb.png.9b373fc6cfac41446b72de2802c1d5b7.png

Didn't fix it unfortunately. Ran a speed test in both full duplex 1 GBPS and auto negotiation. Same result. Also I ran tests on several sites and they ranged from 100-500 mbps. Speedtest.net is showing the highest. I'm going to sanity check with another computer tomorrow to make absolutely sure its not the cable.

image.png.8d1dfe7c60e26bbda4c759f48d3cbbe2.png

4 hours ago, Slottr said:

What speeds are you expecting? How are you testing? 

You could try a USB->Ethernet adapter to see if this bypasses the issue.

Currently get 500 mbps, looking to reach the full 1000 the other pcs can pull in the house.