How safe to use Window 7 now and the future?

yargd

I HATE WINDOWS 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DOUBT I WILL EVER USE W11 IN THE FUTURE. I'll stick with W10 as long as possible.

The only concern is security issue.

Please share your experience Window 7 in 2024.

It is not. Don’t connect it to internet or transfer data between that and other computers.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I would recommend stop using it for anything that is connected to the internet because it isn't safe to do so. The more time passes, the less secure it is as more vulnerabilities that won't be fixed, are found.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

It is not. Don’t connect it to internet or transfer data between that and other computers.

even with good antivirus, w7 is still not safe? 

1 minute ago, yargd said:

Antivirus guards the gate.

Microsoft stopped maintaining the perimeter wall.

2 minutes ago, yargd said:

Antivirus won't make up for the operating system itself not receiving security updates. Good AV can mitigate it, but you're still creating an extremely large risk by running an outdated operating system in your network.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 minutes ago, Levent said:

So you're saying I should not run my NAS on Windows 7 SP1 on which I've never installed a single update?

OP, if you use it on the network, do so on an isolated VLAN or network with no other computers. Just don't do any online banking or keep scans of your passport on there. 

if windows 7 is enough for the things you are doing, so will be linux, so just install that, linux mint's interface is rlly similar to windows, so you could use it

5 minutes ago, MiszS said:

if windows 7 is enough for the things you are doing, so will be linux, so just install that, linux mint's interface is rlly similar to windows, so you could use it

Is this linux capable of running all Windows 10 app, software and games?

3 minutes ago, yargd said:

No, but its isnt as bad as it was some years ago

47 minutes ago, yargd said:

I DOUBT I WILL EVER USE W11 IN THE FUTURE. I'll stick with W10 as long as possible.

Can you explain why though?

10 minutes ago, Lunar River said:

Can you explain why though?

In my experience, nobody ever can.

I've been using W11 since it released, not found it any more problematic than 10. 

Then again, for day to day desktop use I stick to Linux, don't like how Windows or MacOS tries to decide how I should work, where I should store my files and run stuff I don't want.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

In my experience, nobody ever can.

I've been using W11 since it released, not found it any more problematic than 10. 

Then again, for day to day desktop use I stick to Linux, don't like how Windows or MacOS tries to decide how I should work, where I should store my files and run stuff I don't want.

Bloat, program compatibility, overcomplicated Start and context menus. 

42 minutes ago, yargd said:

it can run nearly all of the steam games, and a lot of the software, i mean, it has been enough for me, definitely worth it to not have to deal with all the microsoft bs

1 hour ago, yargd said:

I HATE WINDOWS 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only concern is security issue.

Please share your experience Window 7 in 2024.

I still use Windows 7 on one of my main machines in 2024. It still runs great and is better than Windows 11 (for my use case).

Just a few recommendations:

-Disable internet explorer

-Disable Remote Desktop

-Disable XP compatibility

-Install Firefox or another supported browser

-Keep Microsoft Security Essentials Updated

-Use libreoffice instead of Office

-Try 0patch

-Try Portmaster

-Keep banking and other sensitive info on a separate machine

-Use a user account instead of an admin account

9 minutes ago, da na said:

Bloat, program compatibility, overcomplicated Start and context menus. 

Its not like 10 is not bloated, program compatibility is no different to 10 that I'm aware of, how often do you even need to use the start menu if launching games from Steam?  Even if you do, type the first few characters of what you're looking for, no need to dig through menus.

Context menus, you have a point, I hate the new explorer menus.

3 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

I still use Windows 7 on one of my machines in 2024. It still runs great and is better than Windows 11 (for my use case).

Just a few recommendations:

-Disable internet explorer

-Disable Remote Desktop

-Disable XP compatibility

-Install Firefox or another supported browser

-Keep Microsoft Security Essentials Updated

-Use libreoffice instead of Office

-Try 0patch

-Keep banking and other sensitive info on a separate machine

Sure. https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-17153/Microsoft-Windows-7.html

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Its not like 10 is not bloated, program compatibility is no different to 10 that I'm aware of, how often do you even need to use the start menu if launching games from Steam?  Even if you do, type the first few characters of what you're looking for, no need to dig through menus.

Context menus, you have a point, I hate the new explorer menus.

not as bloated as windows 11, but not bloated? windows 10 uses around 2GB of ram, maybe slightly less, while linux with a desktop environment uses only around 800MB, and way less with a window manager. And idk about other people, do use the start menu all the time for launching programs

11 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

program compatibility is no different to 10 that I'm aware of

For everything an average consumer would need, yes.

But I went back to 10 due to the drivers for both of my workstation's enterprise storage controllers not working at all on 11.

Seems almost everything else works though.

8 minutes ago, MiszS said:

not as bloated as windows 11, but not bloated? windows 10 uses around 2GB of ram, maybe slightly less, while linux with a desktop environment uses only around 800MB, and way less with a window manager. And idk about other people, do use the start menu all the time for launching programs

A debloated W10 version will use about 1GB of RAM at idle - Windows 10 LTSC or TinyOS 22H2, both versions which remove Microsoft Store and other garbage, use about half the disk space and memory as Windows 10 Home. 

Just now, da na said:

A debloated W10 version will use about 1GB of RAM at idle - Windows 10 LTSC or TinyOS 22H2, both versions which remove Microsoft Store and other garbage, use about half the disk space and memory as Windows 10 Home. 

yeah i don't rlly trust a random iso made by someone else

2 hours ago, MiszS said:

yeah i don't rlly trust a random iso made by someone else

But that becomes a cat and mouse game as every Windows update reinstalls junk you removed.  There's also some risk of accidentally removing something that you didn't realised was tied into the OS somewhere else, breaking things.

6 hours ago, da na said:

Bloat,

in what way?

program compatibility

what runs under windows 7 that doesn't under 11?

overcomplicated Start and context menus

start menu isn't over complicated, it's just dumb that you have to have recommendations.

the double context menu is actually stupid though.

but also (at least in the case of OP) a dumb reason to use 7 over 10 or 11

13 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But that becomes a cat and mouse game as every Windows update reinstalls junk you removed.  There's also some risk of accidentally removing something that you didn't realised was tied into the OS somewhere else, breaking things.

yeah, that is why i don't use windows