How safe to use Window 7 now and the future?

yargd
9 hours ago, Lunar River said:

in what way?

In every way, windows 11 somehow manager to consume 2.3GB of ram by itself, while linux only needs 800MB, to 1200MB at most it's both because of the crappy design, and because of the spyware, which consumes additional resources. It also takes up like 2 times the space of a linux installation

6 hours ago, MiszS said:

In every way, windows 11 somehow manager to consume 2.3GB of ram by itself, while linux only needs 800MB, to 1200MB at most it's both because of the crappy design, and because of the spyware, which consumes additional resources. It also takes up like 2 times the space of a linux installation

Moot point, the comment was talking about bloat in w7 vs w11.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2024 at 1:16 AM, MiszS said:

what the do you mean when you say "linux?" gnu+linux's memory usage varies wildly due to how many combinations of window managers, display servers, distros, etc exist.

9 hours ago, dight said:

what the do you mean when you say "linux?" gnu+linux's memory usage varies wildly due to how many combinations of window managers, display servers, distros, etc exist.

Yeah I know that, that's why I gave a range, not just a number, by linux in this case I mean linux with desktop environment, it almost always fits this range, tho with a window manager it will be even less

• 1 month later...

if we're talking about windows 7 with updates up to january 2020, i'd say that it's not ideal. if you have an antivirus and are cautious online you'll probably be okay but there's still that chance that worms (viruses that can infect a machine without manually starting them) could cause havoc.

if you want to stay secure, consider subscribing to 0patch. you can also get it for free but the patches will be limited to 0 day exploit patches and nothing else.