NES/famicom on a chip

How did those knock off console fit the whole nes/famicom on a chip it is ether through emulation or recreating an nes

DC30C143-AFA6-4DE2-8B41-7CCCBF03D78A.jpeg

By todays standards the NES is by no means a powerful device, and technological advancements allowed for all the different chips, controllers and whatnot to be integrated into a single piece of silicon.

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...         

Hello!

52 minutes ago, SelfishJam79498 said:

How did those knock off console fit the whole nes/famicom on a chip it is ether through emulation or recreating an nes

The Famicom/NES was reverse-engineered and packaged into a tiny ASIC many, many years ago. Those "Super Joy III" knockoff Famicom/Nintendo things and their sketchy 1,000,000,000-in-1 cartridges have been around for almost as long. They were designed to be as cheap as possible for developing markets, and an ARM core powerful enough to emulate Famicom/NES games would've been far more expensive at the time. Even today they're still cheaper, since the engineering work has long since been paid off, so the same factories continue to crap those things out en masse.

They're "real hardware", but they don't have perfect compatibility. Sound and color accuracy can usually be described as "close enough".

They became a lot easier to acquire in the west after the NES hardware patents expired.

I remember back in the pre-smartphone days, there was a lively modding scene making handheld Gameboy-like consoles out of these things because they were much smaller than real NES motherboards, and they sipped power. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:31 AM, Needfuldoer said:

The Famicom/NES was reverse-engineered and packaged into a tiny ASIC many, many years ago. Those "Super Joy III" knockoff Famicom/Nintendo things and their sketchy 1,000,000,000-in-1 cartridges have been around for almost as long. They were designed to be as cheap as possible for developing markets, and an ARM core powerful enough to emulate Famicom/NES games would've been far more expensive at the time. Even today they're still cheaper, since the engineering work has long since been paid off, so the same factories continue to crap those things out en masse.

this makes me wonder if you can then just fit gameboy hardware onto a single cartridge nowadays

34 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

this makes me wonder if you can then just fit gameboy hardware onto a single cartridge nowadays

there computers the size of a thumbdrive so...

have some one taking a gameboy pcb and cut it down to fit in something smaller ya.

is there a chip that can emulate gb ya.

Random: This Tiny Game Boy Is Probably The World's Smallest ...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links