Router with WiFi 6E and 2.5Gb lan ports for home streaming

weeberkolos

Hi everyone!

i have an ISP provided modem, and Gbit internet (coax).

What i would like to do, is to build a NAS/plex server, and also use home streaming with my steam deck oled, and other devices.
My motherboard has a 2.5 Gbit port on it, i will build a nas to have 2.5 gbit also, hence why i would like a router with at least 1 2.5 gbit slot (i can use a 2.5g switch i belive).
I want WiFi 6E for future comforts and my steam deck can already use it.
My house is not that big, so range doesent't really metter.

I saw some that can be good, but to be honest im still in my research phase, so any ideas are welcome!

ASUS RT-AXE7800 looked like it would work so far

What do you guys recommend? I'm very thankful for all ideas!

PS. not a native speaker here, so sry for my english 😄

1 hour ago, weeberkolos said:

have an ISP provided modem, and Gbit internet (coax).

Is it an actual modem or a modem/router. Im betting a Modem/Router. If thats the case you need to check to see if it supports bridge mode so you dont have to deal with double NAT.

Another thing to consider is maybe getting a router with a 2.5 Gbps WAN port. The reason being like you I have a coax based ISP (Comcast). Currently in select areas they are testing 2 Gbps down and 100 to 200 Mbps up. While your current "modem" from the ISP might not have a 2.5 Gbps port, in the future likely it will. Docsis 4.0 is just around the corner, Cable Labs started certifying modems last summer.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:22 PM, weeberkolos said:

My motherboard has a 2.5 Gbit port on it, i will build a nas to have 2.5 gbit also, hence why i would like a router with at least 1 2.5 gbit slot (i can use a 2.5g switch i belive).

I would recommend you don't do this. 1Gbps is in 99.9% of cases far more than enough, and 2.5Gbps is really expensive for what you get. You usually just end up paying far more for speeds you won't utilize. 

My highest quality movies tops out at like 10Mbps. That means I can have my NAS serve up to about 100 movies at once on its 1Gbps connection. At most I got like 2 or 3 movies going. I'd even be okay with 100Mbps. The only drawback would be the time it takes to transfer the files over to the NAS, but even that would be manageable. I am fairly confident that you are in a similar situation. 

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I would recommend you don't do this. 1Gbps is in 99.9% of cases far more than enough, and 2.5Gbps is really expensive for what you get. You usually just end up paying far more for speeds you won't utilize. 

I see what you are saying, to be honest although 2,5 Gbit is nice, is not really necessary, on the other hand WiFi 6E is, because my steam deck, and potentially wireless VR. Where i live, the ASUS RT-AXE7800 is basically the only viable option for 6E, and is cheaper than any other i could find, so that's gonna be the choice for now.

But thanks for your input! The nas and media server is a project for another day, and i will consider 1 gbit there definitely!