Using USB C monitor without a GPU

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, RageTester said:

And then mounting mini PC to the back of monitor might be good for hiding even more cables. The only worry is quality thermal solution. Can't really install bigger fan in those tiny things.

I just don't trust SSDs fully after one died on me. And day before drive reported 83% remaining life...

Once its below 90 toss

And going back to hard drives is just a bad bad bad bad idea especially for databases slow as mollases.

They also flat out are NOT more reliable.

Also having a basic backup strat is a must and will avoid data loss pain for a small price.

As for cooling if its a efficient cpu its fine

Anyways mounting behind the monitor is often not possible due to vesa mount obstructions and also not hiding more cables usually since now a power cable has to go to the screen and you managed to hide the display. So basically a trade.

Id also just advice a normal desktop or a smaller one just for ease of maintenance and such.

Budget (including currency): no idea, but don't want to overspend

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: SQL database read and write. Preferably with a way to connect USB C monitor.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Win 10 support coming to an end and it's time to upgrade office computers. Existing motherboard doesn't support newer CPU, so everything except recently replaced power supply will have to be changed. I might as well buy pre built.
I was thinking getting rid of some cables at the same time.
So could anyone suggest parts that would allow using USB C display without a GPU. Obviously need CPU with integrated graphics, I am thinking 4 cores maybe with clock speeds close to 5GHz. DDR4 RAM seems to make sense price wise.
None of that overclocking or water cooling, just need stable system.
What even is the most important when accessing and writing to database all day long? I am afraid SSD might not make it out alive if it has windows updates and database to deal with. How much does hard drive slow a database down, enough to make purchase of better CPU pointless?

I was reading about moving some database related files to RAM disk, but that's not a build related question I understand.

I mean you could just get like a ryzen based mini pc and send it?

Like a asrock deskmini with a 5600g or so and 32gb of ram.

Or whatever.

Just skip the usb c monitor you only need 1 cable to the monitor anyway then just use a wireless keyboard and mouse. No need to make things a lot more expensive when they don't need to be.

Just get a decent drive. A samsung evo 970 is rated for like 600TBW (terrabytes written) before it starts to degrade for the 1tb version. A hdd will usually die sooner.

Anyways at this point maybe look at a used office machine and add some ram and storage or something? Plenty cheap stuff nowadays that is GOOD.

Or build something or whatever.

Either way prebuilts for your need where you need good single core are a bit niche and either expensive or crap. So I'd just diy it or find a used system.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Just skip the usb c monitor you only need 1 cable to the monitor anyway

1 for power and 1 for signal equals 2, or is my math wrong?

Other than that really appreciate your suggestions.

2 minutes ago, RageTester said:

1 for power and 1 for signal equals 2, or is my math wrong?

Other than that really appreciate your suggestions.

Meant from the monitor to the pc the display cable.

And yes of course power for the monitor on it's own.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean you could just get like a ryzen based mini pc and send it?

Like a asrock deskmini with a 5600g or so and 32gb of ram.

And then mounting mini PC to the back of monitor might be good for hiding even more cables. The only worry is quality thermal solution. Can't really install bigger fan in those tiny things.

I just don't trust SSDs fully after one died on me. And day before drive reported 83% remaining life...

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

Once its below 90 toss

And going back to hard drives is just a bad bad bad bad idea especially for databases slow as mollases.

They also flat out are NOT more reliable.

Also having a basic backup strat is a must and will avoid data loss pain for a small price.

As for cooling if its a efficient cpu its fine

Anyways mounting behind the monitor is often not possible due to vesa mount obstructions and also not hiding more cables usually since now a power cable has to go to the screen and you managed to hide the display. So basically a trade.

Id also just advice a normal desktop or a smaller one just for ease of maintenance and such.

6 minutes ago, RageTester said:

The only worry is quality thermal solution. Can't really install bigger fan in those tiny things.

Don't need one, Ryzens can run on teeny heatsinks. I've had up to a 3700X on the tiny stock Wraith stealth cooler from a 2200G without issue. Especially as you can power limit the chip in the BIOS if you are worried about power draw or temps, they come stock with an ECO mode and depending on OEM the motherboard may have its own presets as well. 

6 minutes ago, RageTester said:

As Jaslion has said, HDDs are less reliable. Sounds like you just had a bad SSD, which isn't inherent to SSDs alone, every mass produced device will have a dud every now and then (I've had one SSD die, and then like 6+ others that I've ran for years with 0 issues whatsoever, plus even more than that at work which have also all had 0 issues). If you're worried about drive failure then run 2 SSDs in a mirror array, and keep backups of your important files on an external drive (or if you're super worried, then keep a backup offsite too). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch