Setting up aRGB fans on a Gigabyte mobo

Kenny4

Hello, I have z370 Aorus Gaming 7 (rev 1.0) - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10/support#support-manual with 4 aRGB Cooler Master Sickleflow 120mm fans - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/case-fan/sickleflow-120-argb/

Currently, I have my fans chained together, connected to a pwm port and the 3 pin argb cables connected to the supplied coolermaster button, that can change the preset colors of the fans. Should be setup currently as shown in the two images given below, if helpful.

However, I am not satisfied with the limited presets, and would like a way to control the aRGB functionality via software. Master+ is the official software for the fans, but because of the current cable config, The software cannot detect the fans. Normally, these fans would connect their 3pin cables to a 3pin header on the mobo. But since I have a gigabyte mobo, they have pins dedicated to more general LED strip stuff, including VDG and RGBW (page 28/29 on manual). From what I can tell, there is a way to use a VDG to aRGB adapter to connect my fans to the mobo. Is this correct? I want to double check here, I've seen to many stories of people frying their mobo/cables/fans because of simple errors like this.

If the adapter is a solution, I assume that Master+ would be able to detect the fans. Otherwise, perhaps I could control it via Gigabyte's RGBFusion software. If these two options fail to work, is there another alternative software that can control the fan lights that anybody would recommend?

Thanks for the help.

cm guide.jpeg

cm guide2.jpeg

8 hours ago, Kenny4 said:

The software cannot detect the fans.

the software does not look for ur fans, it looks for a coolermaster controller. (with usb)

ur free options are: Signal RGB and OpenRGB

13 hours ago, NorKris said:

the software does not look for ur fans, it looks for a coolermaster controller. (with usb)

ur free options are: Signal RGB and OpenRGB

Gotcha, thanks for the help. My second option is buying the official controller itself (or another controller that connects to internal usb). If I go the other route, and use the VDG to aRGB adapter, will that work with signalRGB/OpenRGB or Gigabyte's mobo RGBFusion?

29 minutes ago, Kenny4 said:

VDG to aRGB adapter, 

picture? 

I don't have one, but this is what I would possibly buy. 

https://www.amazon.com/LICHIFIT-Conversion-Connector-GIGABYTE-Motherboard/dp/B082MHMP79/

I'm not sure if this will allow full aRGB functionality, but it's potentially better than what I got.

Only issue is that it seems people burn their cables, but I'm not sure if that is because they plugged it into the wrong port or it's just genuinely a bad product.

Edited by Kenny4

4 hours ago, Kenny4 said:

I don't have one, but this is what I would possibly buy. 

https://www.amazon.com/LICHIFIT-Conversion-Connector-GIGABYTE-Motherboard/dp/B082MHMP79/

I'm not sure if this will allow full aRGB functionality, but it's potentially better than what I got.

Only issue is that it seems people burn their cables, but I'm not sure if that is because they plugged it into the wrong port or it's just genuinely a bad product.

it will work with both

Alright, well thanks. I will buy the adapter and see if it works. I'll report back here soon. Hopefully I don't burn the cable.

4 hours ago, Kenny4 said:

Hopefully I don't burn the cable.

that is VERY hard

Status update: So the adapter works just fine, Gigabyte's RGBFusion can control the fan colors (non-aRGB). Unfortunately, both SignalRgb and openRGB both fail to detect/control the fans. I have no idea why for openRGB, not much documentation with the software. For SignalRGB, although my fans are supported by this software, the only devices that show up in the application is my mouse and GPU. The reason why I believe this is the case is because my gigabyte Z370 mobo is unsupported, so therefore the software cannot access the specific VDG port, which is unfortunate (or possibly the software is also looking for a fan control hub that I do not have). So it looks like I will have to buy the official coolermaster hub to get the full aRGB functionality either way.