Apple patents 20 volt charger for faster charging times

Rafy

The main reason being the voltage (and consequently the current) used to charge these portable devise is usually less than to close to 5 V, which results in longer charging time. As the demand for higher capacity batteries in portable devices increases, the charging times will get longer.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/05/apple-invents-a-high-voltage-charger-at-20-volts-for-idevices.html

Someone make a 20.1V charger and troll Apple.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Someone make a 20.1V charger and troll Apple.

Or just patent all 20+ Volt chargers? :) Hello to absolutely no progress being made...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Wait...they patented chargers outputting between  6V and 20V(variable).Does that mean that making a charger output,let's say, 16V all the time won't be affected by this patent?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I really hope no one takes this as Apple patenting 20v charging. They patented their specific charger design.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I'm seriously getting sick of this patent BS. Apple has to be one of the most annoying companies when it comes to patenting things.

Are they not allowed to patent their designs? I'm guessing you didn't read the link.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Are they not allowed to patent their designs? I'm guessing you didn't read the link.

The post isn't informative...and the title is kinda miss-leading.

I'm seriously getting sick of this patent BS. Apple has to be one of the most annoying companies when it comes to patenting things.

Everyone does it, Apple just get tons of press about it

for example Google want to patent apps that split restaurant bills 

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425333,00.asp

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The post isn't informative...and the title is kinda miss-leading.

So click the link... That's what it's there for.

and they want to patents the "HAND HEART SHAPE GESTURE"

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/future-tech/10-weird-patents-that-google-owns.htm#page=10

I would love to see you invent a new charger, or a new camera tech or something, spend years of time and thousands of dollars on it, struggle to sell it and make a living, and then form some crappy chinese company to copy your idea, sell it for 1$ and advertise it on TV

Patents are there to protect. If they have invented a charger to set them apart from the competition, then getting it patented makes sense. If everyone else can use it, then it is no longer an advantage. And advantages sell products.

They are not a charity and do not have to give up their trade secrets to every company

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wait...they patented chargers outputting between 6V and 20V(variable).Does that mean that making a charger output,let's say, 16V all the time won't be affected by this patent?

The reason it is variable is to save battery life by reducing the voltage inputed after certain capacities have been reached

Shhhhhh, just let the anti-Apple circle jerk go on.  

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I think they're patenting the technology that allows the phone to tell the charger what voltage (6-20) it wants.

Does high volt chargers wear out batteries. I feel like the battery in my phone is designed for 5 volts, but then again I know next to nothing about battery tech.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

I'll get mad when someone gets sued over this. Especially if the design isn't even remotely similar. We can only find out in the future. Hopefully, in the future we have some tech council to prevent patent trolls and stupid cases taken to court.

how the hell can you get away with patenting a charging voltage. :blink:

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

how the hell can you get away with patenting a charging voltage. :blink:

How the hell can you get away with making such a dumb comment  :blink:

Shhhhhh, just let the anti-Apple circle jerk go on.  

Yeah, pls, don't disturb us while we hate on the apples.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.