Does Getting Parts from the same Manufacturer matter at all?

Reaper814
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

No, none of that applies whatsoever. The only real part of that synergy that matters might be the aesthetics if you're going for a specific look, but that's really about it. Some of it can also include brand specific items, like AIOs and fans. But absolutely no performance improvements because you paired an ASUS motherboard with an ASUS graphics card.

Hey I was just looking at my PcPartPicker list of my build that I have completed and realized that like nothing is from the same manufacturer. So, I had the question; does having part synergy actually effect performance in any way? For example like a ASrock GPU and ASrock motherboard giving like 0.5% better performance. I also wondered if AMD CPU and GPU make for faster speeds than a AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU or not. Kind of a dumb question but I was curious!

No, none of that applies.

The only times to I want to be concerned about brand compatibility is down to things like rgb standards. If you have some fancy corsair case with a hub, you want a corsair aio, fans, etc because they’ll all use the same controller.

But you can do that with basically any brand which uses their own weird rgb standard.

No, none of that applies whatsoever. The only real part of that synergy that matters might be the aesthetics if you're going for a specific look, but that's really about it. Some of it can also include brand specific items, like AIOs and fans. But absolutely no performance improvements because you paired an ASUS motherboard with an ASUS graphics card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Go with quality reviews over a brand name, or the best bang for buck

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

12 hours ago, Reaper814 said:

Hey I was just looking at my PcPartPicker list of my build that I have completed and realized that like nothing is from the same manufacturer. So, I had the question; does having part synergy actually effect performance in any way? For example like a ASrock GPU and ASrock motherboard giving like 0.5% better performance. I also wondered if AMD CPU and GPU make for faster speeds than a AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU or not. Kind of a dumb question but I was curious!

Rarely.

Aside from RGB, which was already mentioned, there's also various kinds of bloatware that are required to make certain things work, and if you remove the bloatware, pretty much every Motherboard with the same chipset has identical performance, and any performance differences come from lower-quality builds having defaults set lower/safer. If you're not overclocking, you will NEVER run into those issues. The differences between two different brands selling the same Nvidia or AMD or Intel GPU part is a different story, and pretty much every vender sells nothing but Overclocked models, which means there is a higher risk of failure if the overclock is too close to stress the underlying build can take. Like a Asus TUF and an ASUS Strix model of the exact same card, has the exact same performance, but the Strix OC model tends to be clocked higher than the TUF OC model. Again though, this is usually not a big deal.

The widest performance differences will come from SSD's, and even then, there is no point looking at the brand, only the chips used. SSD manufacturers have been known to bait-and-switch. The reviewers get a higher performing model with different firmware and then the model 1 year later will suddenly be switched out with cheaper flash memory.

An AMD CPU+AMD GPU doesn't afford any hidden performance benefit, though it might perform slightly better just by virtue of the driver developers knowing how to get more performance out of it, that doesn't mean it goes "oh, non-AMD CPU, no SIMD to use LOL", it just is less likely to be optimized for a new feature Intel brings out, or removes at the time the driver is released. Like clockwork, every time a new AMD CPU or GPU come out, you see a wave of "AMD crashes!" reports on the LTT form, Reddit, and elsewhere, and this is just because AMD tends to release drivers in a less polished state than Nvidia does. That said, until the Intel dGPU's came out, usually it was Intel releasing the worst video drivers.  Then for a solid year, Intel's drivers were the hands down worst, across multiple product lines. This is entirely due to how Intel "installs" things. Because up until the dGPU, they always shipped these crappy installers that had packages of every driver and install paths for multiple operating systems in them, and they would typically just hang if you didn't install them in the right order. This could result in things like network (wired, and wireless) and audio drivers not working if you interrupted the install. The driver installers are far more invasive. Then enter Intel Xe... oh dear. Those early drivers and installers were such extreme trash, I'm surprised that reviewers didn't rake them over the coals harder for it.

At any rate, we're now at a stable point in time for all manufactures drivers, and it can be expected to be stable until the next GPU generation (eg Nvidia RTX 5xxx, AMD Radeon 8xxx) at least. If I had to buy new right now, I'd probably just buy Asus for the MB and GPU due to the generally higher build quality reputation (warranty is another issue entirely.) However other products branded Asus aren't equal in build quality. Like computer mice, most manufacturers "gamer mice" are all trash, and that's because they've been cheapening the products (I had a ROG Gladius that the glue holding the rubber parts melted off, to the ROG Gladus III which just feels so cheap and the mouse wheel broke within days.) It seems like everyone but Logitech has resorted to making computer mice so damn cheap and awful that you're supposed to throw them away after a few months.