Can B450M-a Pro max handle 5800x3d

Dekard00

I want to buy new cpu because im playing HIGH cpu intensive games and i was thinking of buying 5800x3d but some peoples tell me that my mobo MSI B450M-A PRO MAX cant handle it good because of tdp. Im just trying to use it ONLY for gaming so my question is can these 2 go together?

Yes no problem

What cooler do you have tho?

You need a beefy one not because the 5800x3d outputs a lot of heat but because its quite inneficient at transfering it

Yes, that board is kinda crap but it should be fine with 5800X3D in gaming. The CPU typically uses around 30W to 50W in most games. 

Just make sure you update BIOS before you upgrade. 

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yes no problem

What cooler do you have tho?

You need a beefy one not because the 5800x3d outputs a lot of heat but because its quite inneficient at transfering it

i have stock amd wraith but i will probabbly get an good air cooler or budget liquid one, anyways i also have ms industrial case with 4 fans inside, btw so i will not have problem with this tdp because some peoples told me that: Do not put a processor above 65w tdp on that board. Ryzen 7 5800x3d is 105w tdp

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Yes, that board is kinda crap but it should be fine with 5800X3D in gaming. The CPU typically uses around 30W to 50W in most games. 

im asking because guy told me that "Do not put a processor above 65w tdp on that board. Ryzen 7 5800x3d is 105w tdp"

1 minute ago, Dekard00 said:

i also have ms industrial case

Oh thats not great. Barely any intake

Id opt in this case since it has really poor front intake to have an acrtic liquid freezer ii 240/280mm at the top as INTAKE. Will also helpt the vrms with cooling due to the vrm cooling fan.

The board is fine as long as it has decent airflow over the vrms as it has been a popular board in a bunch of cyberpower systems that had a 3900x or 3950x and it has actually been fine. Toasty but fine

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh thats not great. Barely any intake

Id opt in this case since it has really poor front intake to have an acrtic liquid freezer ii 240/280mm at the top as INTAKE. Will also helpt the vrms with cooling due to the vrm cooling fan.

The board is fine as long as it has decent airflow over the vrms as it has been a popular board in a bunch of cyberpower systems that had a 3900x or 3950x and it has actually been fine. Toasty but fine

so what liquid/air cooler you recommend me to be budget one?

also will i have enough psu i have 600w lc600h-12 beside new 5800x3d i have 3060 12gb 2x8gb ram

13 minutes ago, Dekard00 said:

im asking because guy told me that "Do not put a processor above 65w tdp on that board. Ryzen 7 5800x3d is 105w tdp"

The board is definitely not designed to handle 100W+ sustained loads for long periods of time. 

With 5800X3D and your use case this should basically never happen. 

You can also go to BIOS and in PBO section set PPT to 65.

This will limit the max CPU power to 65W. It will not affect your gaming performance but it will affect the multi-threaded performance during full load. 

I don't think it's necessary to do that, only do it for peace of mind if you must. 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The board is definitely not designed to handle 100W+ sustained loads for long periods of time. 

With 5800X3D and your use case this should basically never happen. 

You can also go to BIOS and in PBO section set PPT to 65.

This will limit the max CPU power to 65W. It will not affect your gaming performance but it will affect the multi-threaded performance during full load. 

I don't think it's necessary to do that, only do it for peace of mind if you must. 

what you mean by it will affect multi threaded performance, you mean like gaming+streaming etc...?

The motherboard will work with a 5800x or 5800x3d 

HOWEVER, the circuit which converts 12v from power supply to the voltage the cpu needs has only 3 phases and the chips that do the heavy work don't have a heatsink on them so they'll get quite hot.  It would be best to use a cpu cooler that blows air down towards the cpu and therefore also push some air down into the motherboard to cool those chips. If you use vertical tower style coolers with the fan blowing air from front of case towards the back, very little air would move over those chips and they'll be very hot. 

See the picture below, the chips I'm talking about are those in the yellow rectangles.  If at all possible, I would suggest looking for some tiny heatsinks with adhesive tape preinstalled and sticking those tiny heatsinks on those chips (one heatsink can be placed above all 3 chips or over the two chips in each yellow rectangle). Each phase has 3 chips, one hi-side mosfet (the one between capacitors, the round things with light blue on them) and two lo-side mosfets in parallel, the chips in rectangle, these will work a lot so they'll get much hotter. 

Each of those chips is DFN5x6 meaning they use around 5mm by 6mm of circuit board space, so a 10 mm by 5mm heatsink could work, or maybe a 10x10 installed over the 3 chips at an angle to fit between capacitors.

Some examples of such heatsinks :

https://www.amazon.com/Jienk-Aluminum-Conductive-Adhesive-Regulators/dp/B09M5XJC1S/

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsink-Conductive-Adhesive-14x14x13mm/dp/B07J6GHT7P/ - may be too big at 14x14 mm

https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-Cooling-Stepper-Regulators-8-8mmx8-8mmx5mm/dp/B07WR3S8CZ/

If you don't use heatsinks , considering having a 80mm / 92mm / 120mm fan on the side panel blowing air directly over that area to help it stay cool

image.png.47d3e4dace21fe97e9654f1ab712aa5a.png

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

After looking at a MS Industrial Iron videro, it looks like the top of the case could be really tight for Arctic Liquid Freezer II with the radiator being so thick. Hard to tell from pictures, but it may not even fit 25mm rad with 25mm fans. There seems to be different version of the Industrial.

You really could just do what mariushm suggested with the VRM heat sinks. I would just use something like a TR Phantom Spirit dual tower cooler and use a round 140mm fan that uses 120mm fan spacing holes for the center fan so it blows underneather the heat sink to reach the fins of the added heat sinks over the VRM. This is what I did for a system, but the VRM alread had stock heat sinks. I am using a Scythe 140mm fan I bought over 12 years ago. I don't know where to look for one other than Amazon, but they seem to cost so much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

18 minutes ago, Dekard00 said:

what you mean by it will affect multi threaded performance, you mean like gaming+streaming etc...?

No. I mean during full CPU loads like rendering for example. 

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

No. I mean during full CPU loads like rendering for example. 

i dont do that at all, only gaming

11 minutes ago, alyen said:

After looking at a MS Industrial Iron videro, it looks like the top of the case could be really tight for Arctic Liquid Freezer II with the radiator being so thick. Hard to tell from pictures, but it may not even fit 25mm rad with 25mm fans. There seems to be different version of the Industrial.

You really could just do what mariushm suggested with the VRM heat sinks. I would just use something like a TR Phantom Spirit dual tower cooler and use a round 140mm fan that uses 120mm fan spacing holes for the center fan so it blows underneather the heat sink to reach the fins of the added heat sinks over the VRM. This is what I did for a system, but the VRM alread had stock heat sinks. I am using a Scythe 140mm fan I bought over 12 years ago. I don't know where to look for one other than Amazon, but they seem to cost so much.

i have ms industrial aquarius pro not iron

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The motherboard will work with a 5800x or 5800x3d 

HOWEVER, the circuit which converts 12v from power supply to the voltage the cpu needs has only 3 phases and the chips that do the heavy work don't have a heatsink on them so they'll get quite hot.  It would be best to use a cpu cooler that blows air down towards the cpu and therefore also push some air down into the motherboard to cool those chips. If you use vertical tower style coolers with the fan blowing air from front of case towards the back, very little air would move over those chips and they'll be very hot. 

See the picture below, the chips I'm talking about are those in the yellow rectangles.  If at all possible, I would suggest looking for some tiny heatsinks with adhesive tape preinstalled and sticking those tiny heatsinks on those chips (one heatsink can be placed above all 3 chips or over the two chips in each yellow rectangle). Each phase has 3 chips, one hi-side mosfet (the one between capacitors, the round things with light blue on them) and two lo-side mosfets in parallel, the chips in rectangle, these will work a lot so they'll get much hotter. 

Each of those chips is DFN5x6 meaning they use around 5mm by 6mm of circuit board space, so a 10 mm by 5mm heatsink could work, or maybe a 10x10 installed over the 3 chips at an angle to fit between capacitors.

Some examples of such heatsinks :

https://www.amazon.com/Jienk-Aluminum-Conductive-Adhesive-Regulators/dp/B09M5XJC1S/

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsink-Conductive-Adhesive-14x14x13mm/dp/B07J6GHT7P/ - may be too big at 14x14 mm

https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-Cooling-Stepper-Regulators-8-8mmx8-8mmx5mm/dp/B07WR3S8CZ/

If you don't use heatsinks , considering having a 80mm / 92mm / 120mm fan on the side panel blowing air directly over that area to help it stay cool

image.png.47d3e4dace21fe97e9654f1ab712aa5a.png

thanks for advices but problem is i will have to wait approx30 days for those to arrive im in Serbia, can easier option just be getting better cpu cooler?

1 minute ago, Dekard00 said:

thanks for advices but problem is i will have to wait approx30 days for those to arrive im in Serbia, can easier option just be getting better cpu cooler?

will a better cpu cooler blow air over those chips?  Read what I wrote and understand the problem....  your problem is keeping those tiny chips cool. A better cpu cooler could actually make it worse - if the cpu itself is cooler it may go into turbo mode more often, boosting to higher clocks, consuming more power, which heats up those chips even more.

heatsinks on those chips would slow how fast the chips get hot, and will improve cooling by increasing the surface that radiates heat, so if air moves through the fins of the heatsinks, the chips will be cooler because the heatsinks take heat from the chip and pass it in the air flowing through the heatsink fins.  Heatsinks alone is not a magical solution, it will just reduce the peak temperature a bit. Some air still needs to blow through the fins of the heatsinks to be effective.

A fan blowing air down onto the motheboard and directly down onto the chips will also help because it's colder air and lots of air is moving over the surface of the chips (even if they don't have a fins) and the heat transfers from the surface of the chips into the air and then the warm air is moving outside the case , pushed out by the case fans.  The actual motherboard is also cooled in the process - the chips are soldered to copper layer on the motherboard, copper that is spread over a large area between those chips and the cpu socket, so cooling down even the motherboard will help.

1 hour ago, Dekard00 said:

lc600h-12

Wow, that's real junk. Very low quality, group regulated, terrible voltage regulation, lack of protections. I don't recommend to use this PSU in any system at all. You better worry about the PSU instead of the motherboard.

16 minutes ago, Dekard00 said:

i dont do that at all, only gaming

Yes, that's what I'm saying

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

will a better cpu cooler blow air over those chips?  Read what I wrote and understand the problem....  your problem is keeping those tiny chips cool. A better cpu cooler could actually make it worse - if the cpu itself is cooler it may go into turbo mode more often, boosting to higher clocks, consuming more power, which heats up those chips even more.

heatsinks on those chips would slow how fast the chips get hot, and will improve cooling by increasing the surface that radiates heat, so if air moves through the fins of the heatsinks, the chips will be cooler because the heatsinks take heat from the chip and pass it in the air flowing through the heatsink fins.  Heatsinks alone is not a magical solution, it will just reduce the peak temperature a bit. Some air still needs to blow through the fins of the heatsinks to be effective.

A fan blowing air down onto the motheboard and directly down onto the chips will also help because it's colder air and lots of air is moving over the surface of the chips (even if they don't have a fins) and the heat transfers from the surface of the chips into the air and then the warm air is moving outside the case , pushed out by the case fans.  The actual motherboard is also cooled in the process - the chips are soldered to copper layer on the motherboard, copper that is spread over a large area between those chips and the cpu socket, so cooling down even the motherboard will help.

idk what to do now i need cpu asap because i play high cpu intensive games but now i see i need new psu also i see my mobo and chips are problem im so fuc*ed up now... half of what you said i understand half not i dont know how to menage to get fan above mobo etc...

22 minutes ago, mariushm said:

image.png.fbfb21bb22315a22b7ebfe1cf39e9e19.png

if i understand you good i need fan on this position to force air pressure down, if thats what you think thats not possible because my air vent is on top of case

6 minutes ago, Dekard00 said:

image.png.fbfb21bb22315a22b7ebfe1cf39e9e19.png

if i understand you good i need fan on this position to force air pressure down, if thats what you think thats not possible because my air vent is on top of case

im sorry bad information i just figured out i can put 2x 120mm fans on top, should i do that?

The front fans make the RGB look better, but the fans are nothing nearly nothing. It looks like you can mount the front fans so its behind the mounting bracket. This may allow some space between the front glass and front side intake so the fanst can actually pull some air from the sides.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Just now, alyen said:

The front fans make the RGB look better, but the fans are nothing nearly nothing. It looks like you can mount the front fans so its behind the mounting bracket. This may allow some space between the front glass and front side intake so the fanst can actually pull some air from the sides.

ye i just watched review on this case and is possible and even better choice to do exactly what you said 

52 minutes ago, alyen said:

image.png.75103bf759b258aa67691449a61cd91e.png

i just did that now fans should do better work