My thoughts on Half-life 2

minimoose

Since I switched to the PC master race last year I had to get Half life 2, and I have to say I don't love it.  Now before everyone starts leaving hate mail, let me explain.

I feel like each sequence goes on far too long, for example, I am being chased by a chopper down the river on my bike/boat thing, it is awesome and intense, except it goes on for AN HOUR, at which point it is no longer exciting or intense.  

Also this is kind of a side note, after I stop playing, I am literally DRENCHED in sweat even on a cold day, so yes, before it gets boring it is intense and awesome.

Thoughts? 

its a lot about actually having played half life 1 when it was sorta new and loving it from then i think, and hl2 is quite old now aswell.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

its a lot about actually having played half life 1 when it was sorta new and loving it from then i think, and hl2 is quite old now aswell.

What is your point?  Is the game structured this way because it is old? 

What is your point?  Is the game structured this way because it is old? 

In my days the game didn't flash you in the face every 2s to keep your attention because we had attention spans longer than that :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

In my days the game didn't flash you in the face every 2s to keep your attention because we had attention spans longer than that :P

I just think that mixing it up a little would be good, maybe not have every canal look the same, or have different obstacles.  There is a difference between short attention spans and repetitive. 

its old, budgets used to be INSANELY lower back then.

well HL1 was a huge success 

so much so

that HL2's budget was $40 million

this was back in 2004  - adjusting for inflation it would be around 49 million

i would like to add that you need to play HL1 before playing HL2  its a continuation of the story 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I found the game great, but maybe you should have played Half-life 1 first

Yeah, it's quite over-rated. The people who rave about it were people who played it on release. Keep in mind dude, it's a 10-year old game, the reason it feels sorta bland is because everything else copied it, at the time it was ground-breaking.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

Yeah, it's quite over-rated. The people who rave about it were people who played it on release. Keep in mind dude, it's a 10-year old game, the reason it feels sorta bland is because everything else copied it, at the time it was ground-breaking.

ahh man the look and feel of that game when it first came out was amazing

the story line and chases were amazing

i loved the gravity gun and how amazing the physics was (still stands)

it was brutal for me because i had exams when the game came out

i literally had the game on the table and Gordon was staring at me

a test of wills ..... got a C and played the shit out of it on my Dell

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

ahh man the look and feel of that game when it first came out was amazing

the story line and chases were amazing

i loved the gravity gun and how amazing the physics was (still stands)

it was brutal for me because i had exams when the game came out

i literally had the game on the table and Gordon was staring at me

a test of wills ..... got a C and played the shit out of it on my Dell

I think you made the right choice

GabeN is always the right choice

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

well HL1 was a huge success 

so much so

that HL2's budget was $40 million

this was back in 2004  - adjusting for inflation it would be around 49 million

i would like to add that you need to play HL1 before playing HL2  its a continuation of the story 

I found the game great, but maybe you should have played Half-life 1 first

The story and characters are great, that isn't the issue. 

I enjoyed the 2nd half of the game much more than the first half. The gameplay in the first half isn't that much fun, just ok.

@minimoose, you're allowed to dislike HL2. :) No game is universally liked and HL2 has good qualities and bad ones. For example the gun play isn't great compared to other shooters. There is a lack of recoil, they should have had counter strike style gunplay even in the single player because that is just much more fun than being able to hold the trigger down.

Personally I think HL2 was very good at the time, but not one of my all-time favorites. The realistic physics was revolutionary at the time, as was the character animation with accurate facial expressions.

Half Life 2 is probably still in my top 10 games.

I love that there are FMV sequences, everything is experienced through the eyes of Gordon. The story telling, voice acting and characters are all fantastic. There are some great set pieces and the tech of the game for its age is great, fantastic physics system, great sound design, good level layout with some interesting locale.

The combine are an interesting enemy as are some of the other species you encounter. But really I play it for the story, which is even better in the sequels, the characters are way more emotive in the episodes.

I even just picked it up for my shield so I can play it again on the go :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Even though HL2 was more revolutionary from a technical perspective...

I feel that HL2 Episode 1 and Episode 2 are much more fun to play as games. Also all things considered I believe Portal 2 is the best single player game from Valve.

Why not?

I honestly don't know, I liked the story and gameplay but never actually enjoyed playig it.

I agree here, the first game was amazing and the idea was really cool, but the sequel is just plain boring both story and gameplaywise. I completed the first in one go with all the DLCs, it took me a few WEEKS to complete the second /:

I would kind of agree that the some of the sequences are a bit long. But it never bothered me and I even rather liked them. And here's why. The gameplay is so smooth, responsive and intense so I was left craving more and more.

Ahh Young Kids these days are just spoilt, Thats more the issue...

Ahh Young Kids these days are just spoilt, Thats more the issue...

I gave a copy to my dad, he didn't enjoy it either.

I was really suprised but I've always felt that valves games dragged.

Still love the series though

Since I switched to the PC master race last year I had to get Half life 2, and I have to say I don't love it.  Now before everyone starts leaving hate mail, let me explain.

I feel like each sequence goes on far too long, for example, I am being chased by a chopper down the river on my bike/boat thing, it is awesome and intense, except it goes on for AN HOUR, at which point it is no longer exciting or intense.  

Also this is kind of a side note, after I stop playing, I am literally DRENCHED in sweat even on a cold day, so yes, before it gets boring it is intense and awesome.

Thoughts? 

That's because the game is 10 years old.

To that time it was far ahead of most games.

It came out in the same year as Counterstrike Source and World of Warcraft.

Half Life 2:

eyecandy1.jpg

Counterstrike Source:

cs-source2.jpg

RTX2070OC 

That's because the game is 10 years old.

To that time it was far ahead of most games.

It came out in the same year as Counterstrike Source and World of Warcraft.

Half Life 2:

-snip-

Counterstrike Source:

-snip-

You can't really judge them either, because cs:s is basically Counter-Strike from 1999 with a relatively small bit of updated graphics and a new engine. You can't compare it to WoW either, because it is an MMO and MMOs generally tend to have lesser graphics because of the HUGE amount of money and work goes into making an MMO. Take a look at Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay released a month later with graphics better than CS:S and WoW

Anyone else watch Fairy Tail?

The secret of a good game is not flashing you every 2 secs to keep your attention, but to be able to keep it without flashing you

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz