old 750W PSU vs 'new' 650w one

art60folado

Hey! 

To start, these are my PC specs:

- Intel i5 10400f with a Tempest 4 copper pipe fan 

- AORUS XTREME 3080

- Corsair vengeance 16gb RAM (2400Mhz increased to 2667 with XMP) 

- Asrock H510M-HDV/M.2 (Resizable Bar ON) 

- Kingston 480 GB SSD + Seagate 2 TB HHD and faster 500GB laptop HHD

- Generic Mars Gaming 1 fan case 

My GPU asks for a 850W power supply, although I have been running a Gigabyte P650B for a month now without issues.

Yesterday I picked up a second hand 750W Seasonic S12D (80plus silver) for just 15 euros.

Now, the PSU is in great condition, but it has some issues: It's clearly a very old model and I'm using a 2X MOLEX to PCIE adaptor for the 3rd pcie slot on the Graphics Card. Plus, it's causing some minor/medium coil whine and vibrations. 

I'm thinking of running this abomination of a setup till next year when I get my hands on new hardware, PSU and case. 

I have considered switching back to the 650W PSU, but it took a really, really long time to get it all together, and I technically sold the thing online already (haven't sent it yet).

Am I in danger? 😅

TLDR: Swapped a working 650w psu for a 750w decade old whining one for the time being, how bad is it?

Keep the 650w 100%

Never adapt power cables EVER.. this is a fire hazard. 

The Seasonic unit is E-waste IMO at this point. Maybe useful for a very low powered HTPC or something, but DEFINITELY not something that will pull any type of load. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

28 minutes ago, art60folado said:

Yesterday I picked up a second hand 750W Seasonic S12D (80plus silver)

That's a 14 year old and worn out unit. Not recommanded to use. The topology is not what you want with double forward on the primary side and S12D lacksd, as far as I know, OCP and OTP.

28 minutes ago, art60folado said:

Gigabyte P650B

is not great either. MEIC is not a trustable OEM. It's a unit with double forward topology too so a bad response to power spikes. Besides that the unit lacks essential protection features like OTP. Enough red flags to not use this PSU in a system with RTX 3080.

That seasonic is ANCIENT. New one all day

Adapting cables always and I do mean like basically always eventually leads to disaster.

That seasonic was trash its too old to be trusted

1 hour ago, art60folado said:

My GPU asks for a 850W power supply, although I have been running a Gigabyte P650B for a month now without issues.

Yesterday I picked up a second hand 750W Seasonic S12D (80plus silver) for just 15 euros.

I wouldn't consider either of those power supplies suitable for an RTX 3080. Of the two bad choices, may as well go with the gigabyte P650B so you at least don't have to use molex to PCIe adapters. If it were me I would buy a new power supply as soon as possible.

The build seems very imbalanced. Were you using it for GPU mining or something? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thank you for the quick replies! I just switched back, will have to run this till Christmas at least though