Why do peeps generally complain about Always-Online gaming?

Actual_Criminal
7 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Name one,

But names none,

But claims all...

How poetic

Do you want a link to a category of always-online games on steam or something?

I don't know how you don't get the words "all of them". Does spelling them out individually change anything about what I said? Does it change my point OR yours? No.

But you feel in power, you feel correct, when you demand of others, whether or not it has a point. Good for you, pal

I am fully backing my statement that every single always-online game is spying on you. And I mean, literally, every. Single. One. My point will not change no matter which one we criticize, or spell out. It makes no difference. 

If you wanted to honestly discuss this, you'd have one prepared that doesn't spy, or utilize the always online feature for more ads, but instead you're just meanlessly demanding I name one specific game when I already claimed they all do.

You can still figure it out yourself, bud. 

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

7 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Name one,

But names none,

But claims all...

How poetic.

i'll help you out:

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

any game company that has a launcher where they sell you games (steam, uplay, epic game store, ..) will at least use stats from having games tied to the launcher to gather play data, to cater the store front page to your preferred sorts of games.

there's 3 examples right there.

i know it's obvious you want to be blind to the problems of always online, but that doesnt take away from the fact it's a system that has ZERO benefit to the end user, while being the source of many issues for the end user.

please just accept you had a catastrophically bad take and move on.

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

please just accept you had a catastrophically bad take and move on.

Obviously it is a 'bad take' because the majority of peeps care about this issue.

However, I think a lot of peeps forget that games are a consumer product that has been made for profit by a business. Steam, Uplay etc are all businesses looking to make money and if they didn't plaster their UI with 'Ads' then some games wouldn't even exist.

Nevertheless, I think the examples detracts from my question. I was asking about an individual game not UI...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

35 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

However, I think a lot of peeps forget that games are a consumer product that has been made for profit by a business. Steam, Uplay etc are all businesses looking to make money and if they didn't plaster their UI with 'Ads' then some games wouldn't even exist.

yes.. but a feature that is not useful to consumers deserves the negative attention, because if we just ignore the problem "because it's a for-profit product" it will actually end in the games crypto-mining on our GPU's...

in fact, this exact example has happened in the past.

including these non-consumer-friendly features in software should always have a negative impact on the public image, because that makes it a consideration for the business to include it or not. if we dont care, they will keep pushing until they find a point where we do. that's how business works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 5:01 PM, Actual_Criminal said:

Obviously it is a 'bad take' because the majority of peeps care about this issue.

Nevertheless, I think the examples detracts from my question. I was asking about an individual game not UI...

Fortnite.

WoW.

GTA V Online.

3 examples.

And as for making games being a profit making business? Sure. But if I've already paid out £60/$60 for the game, they should be making money from that. If they have to push microtransactions, their business model is broken.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:01 AM, Learned Robb said:

Fortnite.

WoW.

GTA V Online.

3 examples.

And as for making games being a profit making business? Sure. But if I've already paid out £60/$60 for the game, they should be making money from that. If they have to push microtransactions, their business model is broken.

that was true like 15-20 years back, but development of modern AAA titles is EXPENSIVE and extensive. I don't blame developers/publishers for finding extra ways to make up the revenue difference, but Always Online is NOT the solution for non-multiplayer games.