Why do peeps generally complain about Always-Online gaming?

Actual_Criminal

I do agree that the whole reliance on downloadable data is a bit extreme, given that everytime you boot up your console, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll need to download updates and wait. + the whole storage for games thing VS simple discs...

However, why are people so bothered about Always-Online games?

Pretty much everyone has the Internet these days (if you are a gamer). 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

The game will be "taken away" from you when the servers inevitably shut down. Sometimes after only a few years.

Mobile systems like laptops or handhelds do not actually have internet all of the time.

Internet can sometimes be unstable leading to being booted out of your single-player game.

There's just only downsides and no benefit.

3 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

you can pretty much guarantee that you'll need to download updates and wait

...and that's the issue

Also a lot of the time, said games are completely unplayable once the servers are taken down

12 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

8 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

What's the benefit of always-online gaming?

If it brings such negative factors, why do devs do it?

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

1 minute ago, Actual_Criminal said:

It allows them to push constant ads and spy on you, which makes them more $$$ for no consumer benefit

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

5 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

The downsides are for you, the upsides are for them. It (usually) reduces piracy, and when the game eventually shuts down you'll be forced to buy the new one.

6 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

It allows them to push constant ads and spy on you, which makes them more $$$ for no consumer benefit

2 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

The downsides are for you, the upsides are for them. It (usually) reduces piracy, and when the game eventually shuts down you'll be forced to buy the new one.

Come on though, what PAID Always-Online game spys on you and pushes constant Ads?

1 minute ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Come on though, what PAID Always-Online game spys on you and pushes constant Ads?

You quoted me but I didn't make the claim you questioned.

25 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

The game will be "taken away" from you when the servers inevitably shut down. Sometimes after only a few years.

Mobile systems like laptops or handhelds do not actually have internet all of the time.

Internet can sometimes be unstable leading to being booted out of your single-player game.

^^^ Also the United States exists, where many ISPs still have 1TB/mo data caps you must pay extra to remove. And where rural areas often have very slow internet (when I lived in Collinwood TN circa 2015 we had 1.5mbps down in the middle of the night when no one else in the county was on, and ~400-500kbps during the day). So downloading updates sucks for data cap reasons, and just logging in can take a bit - especially if the connection is meh quality and it has to retry - with slow internet speeds. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

40 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

it's because sometimes you dont, and then having your offline game not work because of some arbitrary restriction is what's in engineering called "a dick move".

for example.. one of my computers doesnt have wifi, for a recent family event i loaded some games up on it so we could do some family couch gaming. there's no LAN by the TV... so my options were a shitty wifi stick, or.. just running my games offline, because that should just work.

42 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Yes and no, this is a very 1st world perspective. There are plenty of countries that don't have good internet, if they're connected at all. And even 1st world countries like the US and UK have many rural areas where internet is crap because of ISP monopolies and such.

That aside, I'm not against always-online as long as it's not a single player only game; that's where I personally draw the line.

21 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

uh - all of them? 

I guarantee you, with all my life savings and both nuts on the line, not one company with an always-online game is not harvesting your data and spying on you.

Basically nothing you buy you own, stuff can be taken away, no servers no game (remember play on lan? that made it so that even when servers go down you can still play), always checking if you are online,...

Like I made the mistake of buying pokemon legends arceus on my switch a console that is almost NEVER used at home and always on the go. Turns out if you dont connect to wifi every couple of days the switch will just stop you from playing and close the game mid play.

Plenty single player games on the steam deck juat dont work when not on data because of this exact issue.

Ita dumb and there is no reason except oh no you might be playing the game on TWO machines that are offline you cant so that! Which like who cares.

32 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Most anti cheat ACTIVELY reads files on your pc AND sends that data to the company including all data relevant for advertisers and whatnot. Its why a lot of anticheats have been hit with antitrust lawsuits and such. They are basically acting like malware

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Like I made the mistake of buying pokemon legends arceus on my switch a console that is almost NEVER used at home and always on the go. Turns out if you dont connect to wifi every couple of days the switch will just stop you from playing and close the game mid play.

Digital or physical copy?

More in general, there are some situations where online is genuinely mandatory. MMOs for example, but you could expand it to any online multiplayer game.

I play several "free" live service games and accept that some day servers may get switched off and it's all gone. For example, I've been continuously active in Azur Lane for about 5 years since release, and Genshin Impact (with a break) for over 3 years.

I do agree there are cases where online shouldn't be necessary, such as single player games. I kinda understand if the store you bought it from needs to go online from time to time to check you have a valid license though, and that is the bigger friction point. I haven't had any problems with offline mode on Steam on the rare occasion it becomes necessary.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I don't think that's supposed to work like that. The only thing I can find is if you are on a "non-primary console" for your account. Which of course is a problem for anyone who has e.g. a Switch and a Switch Lite.

Usually the only people not bothered by it are kids who have only ever experienced gaming with tons of ads , microtransactions , and are used to the idea that no internet = device is broken.

older people aren't as stupid as children though and are well aware that there's about 50 years worth of video games that do not require internet to function.

if I took the toilet out of your bathroom and said you aren't allow to use it anymore because the company that made it decides when you get to use it...... that might piss you off slightly and raise a question like "why would a toilet need internet to work?"

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

uh - all of them? 

Name ONE.

26 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Name ONE.

ALL OF THEM. 

Literally every last one. Not taking the time to spell them out doesn't mean that I don't mean literally every single one.  Every one you can come up with. 

Figure it out yourself, Chad.

32 minutes ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Name ONE.

any game company that has a launcher where they sell you games (steam, uplay, epic game store, ..) will at least use stats from having games tied to the launcher to gather play data, to cater the store front page to your preferred sorts of games.

while that's not necessarily malicious, requiring the launcher to be running and signed in to play a single player game is less than stellar game design. (which, by the way, a large amount of single player only games on steam run just fine just clicking the executable without steam even present on the system.)

let me put it differently; a single player session should NEVER "disconnect" because steam/... goes down. but unfortunately, that's something we have to deal with these days.

i've had problems with conan exiles refusing to sign into a single player session because it tries to connect to funcom services at launch, and does all sorts of wonky things when it cant reach funcom. and all of this is total BS from the start, because even for online sessions i dont use funcom services - i host my own server with steam authentication. all the funcom services do is make it take longer to get signed in, and get occasionally ousted from a session when their servers poop the bed.

2 hours ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I guarantee you, with all my life savings and both nuts on the line, not one company with an always-online game is not harvesting your data and spying on you.

while this is a very much edg ecase... Wube software blocks the in-game mod menu in factorio if you're not logged in with an account that's connected to a steam account that owns the game - or owns the game trough them directly (paraphrasing a bit here, it's been years since i've set that up..)

they've made it abundantly clear the only reason they bothered to do this, is to reduce the load on their servers (loading the list of available mods makes much more calls than loading them a page at a time) from pirated copies, forcing those who ride the high seas to browse the website manually instead.

it's kind of an edge case if it's considered "always-online" or even an offline feature to begin with.. but if you're somehow not logged into the account anymore, you cant even disable already installed mods trough the in-game mod menu (there's a manual process that existed before the mod menu that they still support, so it's hardly a problem).

Wube is also very much an indie type company, who are in the business of selling games, not data. and the list of games they sell is factorio, factorio, and factorio. besides factorio.com their company website is literally a placeholder.

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

all the funcom services do is make it take longer to get signed in, and get occasionally ousted from a session when their servers poop the bed.

I had this with guilty gear strive. Only authentication servers in Japan with Japan priority. p2p gameplay sessions. Just to get into the fucking game it take 5-10 minutes to just sign in. It is HORRENDOUS.

Legit the pirated copy has ALL the functions including p2p gameplay but you are in in 15 seconds. I quit playing the game till a friend of mine showed me and now I'm hooked again because I am not waiting 5-10m to sign in.

Bonus there is a VERY good chance authentication just errors out and you have to try again or during gameplay a server error after leaving a match happens and you are back in the queue.

Worst part is some random dude fixed it and got it down to a minute. Took em a year to fix it themselves but by now I no longer play it much and if I do the copy on my pc I have still is just click and boom I'm in game.

1 hour ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

ALL OF THEM. 

Literally every last one. Not taking the time to spell them out doesn't mean that I don't mean literally every single one.  Every one you can come up with. 

Figure it out yourself, Chad.

Name one,

But names none,

But claims all...

How poetic.