connecting 8 monitors to one station?

shinegull
Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
3 hours ago, shinegull said:

So basically, this box is probably useless and I should just go the route of a really long HDMI cable for each monitor?

Either that, or get a new set of boxes. How far is the monitor from the computer and what resolution do you need?

We have 8 monitors that are connected so a Muxlab Prodigital HDMI/Bi-IR Extender Receiver ( Display side)

the ways its set up right now is each monitor is connected through HDMI to one of these boxes, which then has a lan cable connected to it. 

I've never actually actually encountered these things before and not sure how it works.

Specifically, assuming i have nothing else, how would i connect these to a single station?

46 minutes ago, shinegull said:

We have 8 monitors that are connected so a Muxlab Prodigital HDMI/Bi-IR Extender Receiver ( Display side)

the ways its set up right now is each monitor is connected through HDMI to one of these boxes, which then has a lan cable connected to it. 

I've never actually actually encountered these things before and not sure how it works.

Specifically, assuming i have nothing else, how would i connect these to a single station?

Single station meaning workstation/pc? You would need 8 outputs which means multiple video cards or a specialized card like a matrox M9188 (8 outputs)

4 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Single station meaning workstation/pc? You would need 8 outputs which means multiple video cards or a specialized card like a matrox M9188 (8 outputs)

while i was hoping for one station.... I did expect either multiple gpus or stations.

however.. the issue isnt so much as the number of stations but rather how its currently set up.

This was a setup left over by the previous tenant.. so all the monitors are wall attached. id like to avoid removing them from the wall if possible.

every single monitor is (im assuming) connect with hdmi to one of these muxlab boxes. with eat one having a ethernet cable coming out of it. all these cables are then routed through the ceiling into the a corner of the room. (again, im assuming, since these cables are labelled monitor 1, monitor 2, etc)

so with these ethernet cables, how do i connect it to a computer for viewing? just any ethernet port?

46 minutes ago, shinegull said:

while i was hoping for one station.... I did expect either multiple gpus or stations.

however.. the issue isnt so much as the number of stations but rather how its currently set up.

This was a setup left over by the previous tenant.. so all the monitors are wall attached. id like to avoid removing them from the wall if possible.

every single monitor is (im assuming) connect with hdmi to one of these muxlab boxes. with eat one having a ethernet cable coming out of it. all these cables are then routed through the ceiling into the a corner of the room. (again, im assuming, since these cables are labelled monitor 1, monitor 2, etc)

so with these ethernet cables, how do i connect it to a computer for viewing? just any ethernet port?

No, There are two parts to those boxes. A transmitter and a reciever. It seems like you only have one end. Simply put, All those things do are convert the hdmi to ethernet and then from ethernet back to hdmi. (they also do some compression to make it possible to send video at a reasonable rate)

So the layout of these things is...

TV -> hdmi cable -> reciever box-> ethernet cable -> transmitter box -> hdmi cable -> computer or other video source

I am confused by your use of station. What do you mean by that?

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

No, There are two parts to those boxes. A transmitter and a reciever. It seems like you only have one end. Simply put, All those things do are convert the hdmi to ethernet and then from ethernet back to hdmi. (they also do some compression to make it possible to send video at a reasonable rate)

So the layout of these things is...

TV -> hdmi cable -> reciever box-> ethernet cable -> transmitter box -> hdmi cable -> computer or other video source

I am confused by your use of station. What do you mean by that?

sorry, work term. station, i mean just desktop or laptop.

that aside, .... I am missing a transmitter box then? any suggestions on what im actually looking for?

44 minutes ago, shinegull said:

sorry, work term. station, i mean just desktop or laptop.

that aside, .... I am missing a transmitter box then? any suggestions on what im actually looking for?

The transmitter. It looks basically the same as the receiver box. But they are a matched set. I doubt you will find a transmitter for sale alone.

12 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

The transmitter. It looks basically the same as the receiver box. But they are a matched set. I doubt you will find a transmitter for sale alone.

So basically, this box is probably useless and I should just go the route of a really long HDMI cable for each monitor?

3 hours ago, shinegull said:

Either that, or get a new set of boxes. How far is the monitor from the computer and what resolution do you need?

On 12/13/2023 at 1:39 PM, Blue4130 said:

a couple meters at least for best case scenario, worse case, might be 10 to 15 meters. all the monitors are on a wall which doesnt help.

for resolution, im expecting a minimun  of 1080p roughly