I think I need a new HSF

fade2black001

Under stress my 7900x gets to 95c and I don't like that. I got some POS AIO by MSI which was the cheapest at Microcenter but little did I know that it got horrible reviews and the employee there didn't mention it either. I guess he either didn't know or the people there are just in it for the sales to make them look good. So lesson learned do research yourself and don't listen to the employees at Microcenter or at least the one in Denver anyways.... I think its the latter. My PC hasn't overheated yet but Its probably wont be too long till it does.

3 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Under stress my 7900x gets to 95c and I don't like that. I got some POS AIO by MSI which was the cheapest at Microcenter but little did I know that it got horrible reviews and the employee there didn't mention it either. I guess he either didn't know or the people there are just in it for the sales to make them look good. So lesson learned do research yourself and don't listen to the employees at Microcenter or at least the one in Denver anyways.... I think its the latter. My PC hasn't overheated yet but Its probably wont be too long till it does.

95c is expected and normal for modern high end cpus

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

As not to repeat myself, I posted about my old 7900x and air cooling it here. If stock, 95c is expected for a multicore load.

13 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Have you done PBO/CO?

Why do you think it'll overheat soon?  If it hasn't now, what is changing to make it overheat in the future?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

4 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Have you done PBO/CO?

Why do you think it'll overheat soon?  If it hasn't now, what is changing to make it overheat in the future?

Have you done PBO/CO?  No

Well because its near the breaking point. Anything slightly above 95 will cause it to shutdown yes?

2 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Have you done PBO/CO?  No

Well because its near the breaking point. Anything slightly above 95 will cause it to shutdown yes?

it won't shutdown, it just ramps up to 95c and stops there if anything.

It's throttling, not shutting down.

Do PBO/CO, it'll tame it quite a bit.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

5 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Anything slightly above 95 will cause it to shutdown yes?

No, 95 isn't the temp limit, that's the temp target. The system will push power and clocks to get to 95c. 

It seems you bought into this platform without much research so to get caught up, maybe check out this video from a year ago.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

No, 95 isn't the temp limit, that's the temp target. The system will push power and clocks to get to 95c. 

The TJ Max for the CPU is 95

6 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

it won't shutdown, it just ramps up to 95c and stops there if anything.

It's throttling, not shutting down.

Do PBO/CO, it'll tame it quite a bit.

How do I enable it

2 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

The TJ Max for the CPU is 95

While true, you have a serious misunderstanding with how this platform is designed to operate and we're trying to educate you. The CPU's are designed to target 95c and operate there for their entire lifetime. Going over that does NOT initiate a shutdown, I don't know where you read this. 

This isn't an i7 from 10 years ago, things work a little differently now. Above 95c you'll see throttling and clockspeeds will suffer. 

We've known this for over a year now, and if you do for instance a google for "ryzen 7000 95c" you'll see this discussed all over the place. 

With the new AM5 socket and higher TDP, most processors will run into a thermal wall before they hit a power wall. You will therefore see the Ryzen 7000 series, especially the higher core count variants, reside at TJMax (about 95 degrees Celsius for the Ryzen 7000 series) when running intense multithreaded workloads like Cinebench nt. This behavior is intended and by design.
It’s important to note TJMax is the max safe operating temperature—not the absolute max temperature. In the Ryzen 7000 Series, the processor is designed to run at TJMax 24/7 without risk of damage or deterioration. At 95 degrees it is not running hot, rather it will intentionally go to this temperature as much as possible under load because the power management system knows that this is the ideal way to squeeze the most performance out of the chip without damaging it.

If you read the thread I linked, there are still things you can do about it, however. My old 7900x was faster than stock with a -20 CO undervolt and an 85c temp limit. 

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

It seems you bought into this platform without much research so to get caught up, maybe check out this video from a year ago.

Thank you

1 hour ago, fade2black001 said:

I got some POS AIO by MSI which was the cheapest at Microcenter but little did I know that it got horrible reviews and the employee there didn't mention it either. I guess he either didn't know or the people there are just in it for the sales to make them look good. So lesson learned do research yourself and don't listen to the employees at Microcenter or at least the one in Denver anyways.... I think its the latter.

They work on commission, so how greedy or desperate they are will determine how honest they are with you. You must always go to any store like that prepared ahead of time so you can't be tricked into buying a dud, what you don't need,  or something overpriced. In general, they should all be compugeeks, but they aren't necessarily going to know everything they should. It depends on whether or not their monetary motivation guides them to learn to best be able to help customers, take shortcuts, or rip people off. Some people are just geared to do the most self-serving thing in every situation. 

If you feel you were ripped off, go back, complain and ask them to fix the situation.  Not everything they sell is good, and not everything that is good is sold by them. That's the story of most stores.

As suggested, undervolt your CPU, and if you get a chance search for Jayz2Cent's video about how modern CPUs are designed to ramp up to 95 C. The best thing to do is undervolt get the best cooler you can afford so that you can get the most performance, and it'll still be around 95 C, but more powerful. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 minute ago, fade2black001 said:

My CPU now runs under 60c on full load

What did you do? UV?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

What did you do? UV?

yes and some other stuff.

I set the CPU to eco mode with a CTD of 65w. Then I set the PBO offset for all cores with a negative value of 30 and then undervolt the CPU by .05 volts. Shockingly the performance loss is very minimal

6 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

I set the CPU to eco mode with a CTD of 65w. Then I set the PBO offset for all cores with a negative value of 30 and then undervolt the CPU by .05 volts. Shockingly the performance loss is very minimal

Great! I think that's because of the trade-off between power consumption and temperature. Lower temps mean higher performance. 

6 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

Could also bump ctd to 75W to see if you can eek out some more performance still without going near 95C, especially if youre only hitting 60C with a CDT of 65W?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

Just now, RevGAM said:

Great! I think that's because of the trade-off between power consumption and temperature. Lower temps mean higher performance. 

Since I game at 4k my CPU usage is pretty low to begin with. I don't think I really needed to do this but its nice to see my max Wattage I seen it get to is 55w. I'm sure with gaming I wont ever notice the performance hit. Only in benchmarking where it would really show. In Cinebench I went from a score of 4430 down to a 4130. Big whoopie do.... lol

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Could also bump ctd to 75W to see if you can eek out some more performance still without going near 95C, especially if youre only hitting 60C with a CDT of 65W?

I find this pointless to do honestly. I mean to give you real numbers. My cinebench score went from 4430 down to 4130. For me gaming at 4k I won't ever notice the performance hit ever in gaming. 

Just now, fade2black001 said:

I find this pointless to do honestly. I mean to give you real numbers. My cinebench score went from 4430 down to 4130. For me gaming at 4k I won't ever notice the performance hit ever in gaming. 

Yeah thats fair enough! Didnt know the wattages and scores before this but it youre only hitting 55W with those scores then it seems a pretty good job!

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

1 minute ago, TatamiMatt said:

Yeah thats fair enough! Didnt know the wattages and scores before this but it youre only hitting 55W with those scores then it seems a pretty good job!

I would say so