what can anyone say about this psu?

koolj12
Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,
10 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

so far they say the best are the evga, seasonic, and corsair idk though

From personal experience:

EVGA and Seasonic are good brands to consider, and while Corsair isn't bad it not as consistent as the other two are concerning quality.
The little things like cables (Quality and overall size/thickness) and so on can add up to a quality unit or trouble in a box.....
Be sure you look at all that.
Corsair tends to have the cheaper "Flat" cables included that's not of great quality, the fat, rounded ones are better BUT be sure to note the size of the individual wire strands in the cables.
The bigger the wire, the more power it can carry before it gets hot and starts melting the insulation, potentially shorting out the entire system.

Just note any brand/make can have a bad one at anytime, even if of a model known to be good - It happens but the odds of finding one that's good and going to go the distance (To me) would be either EVGA or Seasonic.
Even if you decide on one of those, be sure to check the exact model to make sure there are no widespread reports of issues before purchasing. As said, every make and model will have some but when the negative reviews/statements looks like the plague hit the web, avoid like the plague.

Also from personal experience:
Folks tend to thrown down on lesser known brands and there are a few that's good, research will reveal which ones are and aren't good.

My own personal example of that is I have a pair of Rosewill Hercules 1600W PSU's and both are at least 5 years old now - With 0 issues to even mention about them.
One's in use right now and the other is for my XOC setup where I play around with the hardware and Ln2.

https://a.co/d/i0jzyfI im very sceptical about the price

another psu I heard was amazing was https://a.co/d/2vpMcVE

the prices are too good to be true right? the reviews are all good on them few misses but mostly good, is a good psu not supposed to be expensive or something? 

I would like a effiecient quality lasting psu. 

Anyone know any better or are these the cream of the crop for budget but also quality, thank you. 

For Gamemax concepts this is probably a hell of a good unit but compared to other brands it's just OK. The EVGA is OK too but if you really need 1200 or 1300w, an OK unit is not good enough. You want a top notch PSU. Add a bit more for the NZXT C1200 Gold . It's tested as the best 1000-1250w unit.

1000-1250wperf_230V-3.png.963b1226108b977ff5a2aea53975a4e4.png

Gamemax has been doing kinda budget psus for a while, a lot of people have bought their more midrange options and they good reviews and few complaints. But theres very little out there on them and their psus. I wouldnt be worried about it too much, its in line for the price of similar units. If the 80+ platinum rating is real thats pretty solid even for a cheap high wattage psu.

Im kinda just basing my view of the 1300w gamemax one there on how popular that 850w gold one they also sell has done. If its in the same vein as that psu, its an ok psu, nothing special but clearly not anything to be worried about.

As for the evga supernova, its fine, its an older design but its known as "perfectly adequate in every way".

Why do you want to buy such a high power psu ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

4 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

What do you need so much power for?

Just now, leclod said:

Can you nerds answer the actual question OP posted before asking entirely different questions?

Who knows, maybe they blew their entire budget on a 14900k and 4090. Maybe theyre running 4 way R9 fury crossfire in 2023 for whatever reason. It doesnt matter

Forum etiquette, answer the question asked, then propose new questions to get more details. Dont start with an unrelated question.

Spoiler

"hey guys im looking at buying a 4080, which one should i get?"

-do you need a 4080

-what resolution and framerate are you playing at

-have you considered the 6600 xt

rude as all hell

11 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Can you nerds answer the actual question OP posted before asking entirely different questions?

Who knows, maybe they blew their entire budget on a 14900k and 4090. Maybe theyre running 4 way R9 fury crossfire in 2023 for whatever reason. It doesnt matter

Forum etiquette, answer the question asked, then propose new questions to get more details. Dont start with an unrelated question.

Reveal hidden contents

-do you need a 4080

rude as all hell

There is a reason for that and because of that, i think the 4080 question is totally unrelated. There are not many applications for a that high powered PSU and with the wording of the question of the OP, i want to raise the question, if it needs to be that high power or maybe a PSU with a little less power for a lower price or a better one for the same may be an option.

30 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

What do you need so much power for?

just so im set and never need to upgrade it

28 minutes ago, leclod said:

I love the profile pic and info XD, I just want to be set on my psu and no need to upgrade

27 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Reveal hidden contents

-do you need a 4080

rude as all hell

its ok, they can ask other questions, but it is etiquette you are right. 

3 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

just so im set and never need to upgrade it

Then its a good idea to look for a power supply with the longest warranty period from the most reputable manufacturer, so you have the highest chance that it survives long enough to warrant its higher price.

6 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Then its a good idea to look for a power supply with the longest warranty period from the most reputable manufacturer, so you have the highest chance that it survives long enough to warrant its higher price.

I will look for that as well thats good advice actually thank you, but what psu is the best for 1300w? the list someone replied with doesnt look right so idk really 😕 

im gonna research those and see 

6 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

I will look for that as well thats good advice actually thank you, but what psu is the best for 1300w? the list someone replied with doesnt look right so idk really 😕 

im gonna research those and see 

That's the smart thing to do and exactly what I'd do myself.
Just be sure to refer to several sources to get an overall picture of things, what you find will help guide you to what you need.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

That's the smart thing to do and exactly what I'd do myself.
Just be sure to refer to several sources to get an overall picture of things, what you find will help guide you to what you need.

10 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

EVGA and Seasonic are good brands to consider, and while Corsair isn't bad it not as consistent as the other two are concerning quality.
The little things like cables (Quality and overall size/thickness) and so on can add up to a quality unit or trouble in a box.....
Corsair tends to have the cheaper "Flat" cables included that's not of great quality, the fat, rounded ones are better BUT be sure to note the size of the individual wire strands in the cables.
The bigger the wire, the more power it can carry before it gets hot and starts melting the insulation, potentially shorting out the entire system.

Just note any brand/make can have a bad one at anytime, even if of a model known to be good - It happens but the odds of finding one that's good and going to go the distance (To me) would be either EVGA or Seasonic.
Even if you decide on one of those, be sure to check the exact model to make sure there are no widespread reports of issues before purchasing. As said, every make and model will have some but when the negative reviews/statements looks like the plague hit the web, avoid like the plague.

Folks tend to thrown down on lesser known brands and there are a few that's good, research will reveal which ones are and aren't good.

My own personal example of that is I have a pair of Rosewill Hercules 1600W PSU's and both are at least 5 years old now - With 0 issues to even mention about them.
One's in use right now and the other is for my XOC setup where I play around with the hardware and Ln2.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

those bad reviews are 4% out of 3000 purchases but man they hit harder than the 85% 5 stars man

19 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

one more question how do I know my psu will work with my mobo im on pcbuilder and it says nothing wrong, 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j2nfn6

thanks a a ton.

6 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

one more question how do I know my psu will work with my mobo im on pcbuilder and it says nothing wrong, 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/j2nfn6

thanks a a ton.

Most PSU's are "Universal" in that they will work with about anything out there you can build yourself.
As long as it has the cables you need for whatever you'd need them for, it should be fine.

To answer a question before it's asked - Concerning the 4-pin plugs/headers on the board for CPU power, it won't hurt a thing to plug both in, if the board has two of them.
Some boards only have one CPU power header, some have two but the PSU itself should have both of these plugs regardless and make sure when plugging them in you insert the correct plug into the correct header - They aren't mix-n-match.
You can tell what goes where by the shape of the molded body of the cable end related to the latch - Line the tab on the board's power header up with the plug's own latch mechanism with each, look to see if the molded end matches the shape of the board's header plug in's and you'll get it right.

Mind you this is not the big 24 pin ATX plug  - That one will be obvious.

Keep us posted on what you settle on and how the build goes.

4 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Most PSU's are "Universal" in that they will work with about anything out there you can build yourself.
As long as it has the cables you need for whatever you'd need them for, it should be fine.

To answer a question before it's asked - Concerning the 4-pin plugs/headers on the board for CPU power, it won't hurt a thing to plug both in, if the board has two of them.
Some boards only have one CPU power header, some have two but the PSU itself should have both of these plugs regardless and make sure when plugging them in you insert the correct plug into the correct header - They aren't mix-n-match.
You can tell what goes where by the shape of the molded body of the cable end related to the latch - Line the tab on the board's power header up with the plug's own latch mechanism with each, look to see if the molded end matches the shape of the board's header plug in's and you'll get it right.

Mind you this is not the big 24 pin ATX plug  - That one will be obvious.

Keep us posted on what you settle on and how the build goes.

You are awesome, I really appreciate the support. this p cbuild has been frustrating but I think I have it all down now, My main concerns are my fans and psu, and what to build my pc on I dont wanna build it on carpet and I dont know if I coudl damage anythign with statci electricty.

16 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

You are awesome, I really appreciate the support. this p cbuild has been frustrating but I think I have it all down now, My main concerns are my fans and psu, and what to build my pc on I dont wanna build it on carpet and I dont know if I coudl damage anythign with statci electricty.

Its always a good idea to have the PSU connected to power, but switched off at the mains switch around, so you can touch it and ground yourself before you touch the components. When you do this, its pretty safe. Its not that easy to damage parts with static. Also touching all parts on some metal components and not on pins, helps a lot.

20 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Its always a good idea to have the PSU connected to power, but switched off at the mains switch around, so you can touch it and ground yourself before you touch the components. When you do this, its pretty safe. Its not that easy to damage parts with static. Also touching all parts on some metal components and not on pins, helps a lot.

what about when I power it on to update the bios? can I damage anythign also isnt a current running through it plugged in? for me I would unplug everything to be 100% sure. 

No, you can use it and power it without a problem. The case will still be grounded. At the beginning it should only be switched off, so you don`t accidentally power it on while plugging and unplugging stuff. For example, i currently have a computer running FAH since more than two weeks, which is basically just a mainboard with some stuff plugged into it while just sitting bare on a desk. Thats not reccommended, since the computer has no protection against dust or metal objects shorting something, but otherwise, its fine.

4 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

No, you can use it and power it without a problem. The case will still be grounded. At the beginning it should only be switched off, so you don`t accidentally power it on while plugging and unplugging stuff. For example, i currently have a computer running FAH since more than two weeks, which is basically just a mainboard with some stuff plugged into it while just sitting bare on a desk. Thats not reccommended, since the computer has no protection against dust or metal objects shorting something, but otherwise, its fine.

so I can lay out a blanket or somethign and build it on that???

8 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

so I can lay out a blanket or somethign and build it on that???

When you mount the first components to the mainboard, just do that on top of the box the mainboard came in. This is also where you can test it and update the BIOS. Then, when its in the case, just touch the case and plugged in power supply at the same time, before mounting the board in the case, or, depending on the case, when it doesn`t obstruct anything you want to rech later, just mount the PSU first and plug it into mains, then the whole case is grounded. Also when you touch the mainboard, GPU etc... touch it on a heatsink, IO shield etc... first.

Also don`t worry too much. I built, repaired and upgraded quite a lot of computers in my life and although i damaged or even destroied hardware before, its not so hard, to build a computer and i also never destroyed a computer component with static electricity before.

Also, when its grounded, it doesn`t matter, what the case is on, so a blanket is OK, so you don`t scratch it.

6 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

When you mount the first components to the mainboard, just do that on top of the box the mainboard came in. This is also where you can test it and update the BIOS. Then, when its in the case, just touch the case and plugged in power supply at the same time, before mounting the board in the case, or, depending on the case, when it doesn`t obstruct anything you want to rech later, just mount the PSU first and plug it into mains, then the whole case is grounded. Also when you touch the mainboard, GPU etc... touch it on a heatsink, IO shield etc... first.

Also don`t worry too much. I built, repaired and upgraded quite a lot of computers in my life and although i damaged or even destroied hardware before, its not so hard, to build a computer and i also never destroyed a computer component with static electricity before.

Also, when its grounded, it doesn`t matter, what the case is on, so a blanket is OK, so you don`t scratch it.

this is great advice! im just very cautious as this is my first pc build I really appreciate the advice ill take as much as I can get