Verizon XLTE rolls out bringing DOUBLE the bandwidth

Verizon Wireless officially brings their XLTE to dozens of cities across the United States. The enhanced LTE service uses Verizon's AWS spectrum to double the speeds available in some of their devices. It's NOT 5g but a faster 4g. Awesome I say if you have Verizon. Faster speeds the better.

Find out which cities here:http://s7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/eCatalogs/Verizon-XLTE-markets.pdf

Find out which XLTE ready devices here:http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?&&&item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&linkId=109&zipRdr=y

Articles:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2014/05/verizon-wireless-xlte.html

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/17/5726726/verizon-could-be-doubling-bandwidth-in-cities-with-so-called-xlte

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/19/verizon-lights-up-improved-xlte-service-in-44-states/

http://www.wpcentral.com/verizon-flips-switch-700-mhz-enhanced-xlte

I'd rather see internet providers speed up their copper net works than this....... But every imporovement is good I guess (if it doesn't come with a hugh price tag...)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I am just thankful I don't live in the US where they praise companies for giving them shit on a plate. It's not even a polished turd just a pile of old shit.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

No, it's not awesome.  Verizon has ridiculous data caps.  Wow, you get high speed......for 1 week.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I'd rather see internet providers speed up their copper net works than this....... But every imporovement is good I guess (if it doesn't come with a hugh price tag...)

Copper is held back by physics more than fibre so I wouldn't be holding my breath. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

Copper is held back by physics more than fibre so I wouldn't be holding my breath. 

I know, but it isn't just those wires, also the entire infrastructure after that, everything can be optimized. But well I guess I just need to wait till they will start using fibre in my area....... in like 2030 or something

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

First that I've ever heard it called XLTE, but here in Nebraska it has been up and running for several months... And quite a bit of of it was ready to launch about a year ago, they just waited until more sites were built and ready.

I believe Lincoln had a few sites running before the S4 even got the update to use the new band.

O.o if only they had SIM cards

They do but they are ussually already in the phone and they are only for LTE.

LTE-A if anyone was wondering what the real name is.

LTE is still a 3g antenna. Its just marketted as 4G..

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

LTE is still a 3g antenna. Its just marketted as 4G..

G stands for generation of the technology, it has absolutely nothing to do with the antenna. Antennas are just tuned elements for a specific frequency.

AWS is 1700/2100mhz, LTE is 700mhz, "3G" CDMA is 800mhz in Verizon's case.

Antennas are built for a certain frequency range, so yes, you can do both LTE and CMDA on one set of elements in an antenna since the frequencies are so close to each other (696-900mhz antennas), you can even run them on the same coax line if you diplex, but most carriers are running fiber to the antenna for their AWS solution. 95% of the time, Verizon replaced their antennas when rolling out LTE, and in some cases they thought forward and put up quad port antennas that were AWS ready to save money later (this was a few years ago) when they deployed AWS.

Analog TV and Digital TV can use the same antenna, so is the increase in quality just a smooth marketing gimmick as well?

They should team up with Microsoft with a "Double the bandwidth! Double the value!" campaign for xbox live fast lines

-------

Current Rig

-------

They do but they are ussually already in the phone and they are only for LTE.

Huh, I know that they are on the CDMA network which has no SIM cards. I know T-Mobile and AT&T are on GSM which have SIM cards. Maybe it is region based?

Project Restomod (In progress)

Just tested it. Still getting the same speeds.

COMIC SANS

Huh, I know that they are on the CDMA network which has no SIM cards. I know T-Mobile and AT&T are on GSM which have SIM cards. Maybe it is region based?

CDMA does not use SIM cards, but LTE does use them. You still cannot swap them phone to phone like you do on a GSM network though... have to wait until VoLTE comes out for that to happen, and its probably going to be a while...

Just tested it. Still getting the same speeds.

What phone do you have? Not too many support AWS.

What phone do you have? Not too many support AWS.

Was using one of the phones on the supported devices list - Galaxy S4, the Verizon version of course. 

COMIC SANS

Was using one of the phones on the supported devices list - Galaxy S4, the Verizon version of course. 

A software update a few months ago unlocked it, so make sure that your phone is up to date.

What kind of speeds are you getting now? Best I've gotten on a S4 was 74Mbps down and 20Mbps up, I'm pretty sure upload is capped now as I've gotten 40Mbps+ before on LTE.

LTE-A if anyone was wondering what the real name is.

This is not LTE-Advanced. LTE-A is 1Gbps+.

A software update a few months ago unlocked it, so make sure that your phone is up to date.

What kind of speeds are you getting now? Best I've gotten on a S4 was 74Mbps down and 20Mbps up, I'm pretty sure upload is capped now as I've gotten 40Mbps+ before on LTE.

It's always kept up to date, so I'm sure that the software patch is installed. 

As for speeds, I was getting ~9 down, ~6 up. Grant it, that was on 2 bars of LTE. I'd love to get into a full 5 bar area and see what the speeds are like.

And for the record, in some areas that have 5 bars of LTE on T-Mobile's network, I was able to achieve ~72 down, ~18 up. At my house though (also where I did the Verizon speed test just now) I get ~9 down, ~2 up on 1-2 bars of LTE on TMo. I think it should be better than that here, because a couple of my friends who are also on TMo (and use TMo phones) get 2-3 bars and faster speeds here. I know what my problem is - I'm using a Verizon phone on T-Mobile. I plan to fix this soon...ish. 

COMIC SANS

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/832866290

I get this on EE on 4G :) I'll post a screenshot too.

2el84gj.png

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

G stands for generation of the technology, it has absolutely nothing to do with the antenna. Antennas are just tuned elements for a specific frequency.

AWS is 1700/2100mhz, LTE is 700mhz, "3G" CDMA is 800mhz in Verizon's case.

Antennas are built for a certain frequency range, so yes, you can do both LTE and CMDA on one set of elements in an antenna since the frequencies are so close to each other (696-900mhz antennas), you can even run them on the same coax line if you diplex, but most carriers are running fiber to the antenna for their AWS solution. 95% of the time, Verizon replaced their antennas when rolling out LTE, and in some cases they thought forward and put up quad port antennas that were AWS ready to save money later (this was a few years ago) when they deployed AWS.

Analog TV and Digital TV can use the same antenna, so is the increase in quality just a smooth marketing gimmick as well?

there's a list of antennas in the "3G protocol" LTE is one of them.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

And I'm sitting here with x1...... yay verzion.... (and if anyone wondering. i'm using a lg g2 and it's on the list but i never get over 1x where i live.)

there's a list of antennas in the "3G protocol" LTE is one of them.

Have a link? I'd like to see what it is talking about.

I mean I can take a antenna off of your router, pull the coils apart to a set distance and it will transmit LTE. That doesn't mean LTE is apart of the WIFI protocol. 

LTE and CMDA are ran off of completely separate cabinets in the equipment shelters, the only things they sometimes share are coax and antennas.

All Verizon phones with LTE have Sim cards. LTE cannot operate without it.

^above^ yeah because I know the iPhone 4S(and newer) is a world phone, it can be used on any network (unless the carrier locks it -_-) and always has a SIM card slot no matter what.
 So verizon definetly supports SIM cards whether its for LTE or not.

My only question about this topic is: WHY ON EARTH CAN I NOT GET THESE SPEEDS FOR A DECENT PRICE AT HOME?!?!?!?!?! stupid internet companies....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1