Single tower + 2 fans vs. Dual tower + 1 fan

almog

Hey guys.

Genuine question here, because I saw many different coolers and could not figure this out (couldn't find any comparisons).

What will perform best? Considering same brand, same heat pipes, same fin array, same fans... (theoretically).

A dual tower air cooler with one fan in the middle (more surface but less wind)
A single tower with one fan pushing and the other one pulling air out (less surface but focused airflow).

Thanks

3 minutes ago, almog said:

Hey guys.

Genuine question here, because I saw many different coolers and could not figure this out (couldn't find any comparisons).

What will perform best? Considering same brand, same heat pipes, same fin array, same fans... (theoretically).

A single tower with one fan pushing and the other one pulling air out (less surface but focused airflow).

Thanks

by perform best I say less noise and better heat dissipation.

21 minutes ago, almog said:

Hey guys.

Thanks

To deconstruct your question, you're asking how more thermal mass/heat capacity of the heatsink compares to an increase in airflow, with the base being 1x 120mm fan and 1x 120mm tower for a CPU cooler.

The answer is: It depends 😄 Adding a second fan to a CPU cooler depends on the design of the first fan. It also depends on the airflow of the environment/case. If airflow overall is insufficient for a single tower, then a second tower doesn't do much but increase the heat soak time of the heatsink. In a scenario with adequate airflow, a single fan on a dual tower would be more beneficial than a single tower with two fans, where that second fan may not do much overall since its sufficient, so increasing thermal mass would be more impactful.

TLDR: It depends on the other variables of the system. If one variable is lacking, compounding on the other's won't help much.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, almog said:

Hey guys.

Thanks

What is the PC setup you're using?

Simple answer two fans are better than one but two towers are better than one tower with 2 fans. That's what @Agallwas saying in their technical way. 😉

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

36 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Simple answer two fans are better than one but two towers are better than one tower with 2 fans. That's what @Agallwas saying in their technical way. 😉

A practical example I can give is with servers, where they'll usually have pretty small heatsinks but absurd airflow and in air conditioned spaces. Comparably, I have an i5 12400 in a sealed cabinet with a Thermalright PA 120 SE that could run passively since I've disabled turboboost, so it only runs at 2.4GHz. Just an absurd amount of thermal mass for the sub 10W output of that chip in that configuration (also sit barely above ambient at 35C).

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

A practical example I can give is with servers, where they'll usually have pretty small heatsinks but absurd airflow and in air conditioned spaces. Comparably, I have an i5 12400 in a sealed cabinet with a Thermalright PA 120 SE that could run passively since I've disabled turboboost, so it only runs at 2.4GHz. Just an absurd amount of thermal mass for the sub 10W output of that chip in that configuration (also sit barely above ambient at 35C).

Well you might as well have downgraded to a Pentium 2 then. Lol!

I get what you're saying! 👍 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 hours ago, Agall said:

A practical example I can give is with servers, where they'll usually have pretty small heatsinks but absurd airflow and in air conditioned spaces. 

Server heatsinks tend to be pretty dense in terms of fin density, heat pipes, or vapor chambers.

In general, an additional tower is more beneficial than an additional fan.

Heatsinks are designed to not impede airflow so the small increase in airflow from an additional fan isn't as impactful as doubling the surface area even if it relies on the single fan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, RevGAM said:

you are everywhere... 😆

not for any specific system... (I'm the same guy that asked about the AIO vs Air Cooler a few days ago). People recommended the PA120 but it doesn't fit my situation...

Was just curious about two fans or two towers.

Thanks

7 hours ago, almog said:

you are everywhere... 😆

Look behind you! 👹😅🤣😂🙃🤭