BDMV files and nvidia shield

killswitch6000

HI. i have an nvidia shield pro and a blu ray collection. i want to rip the blu ray collection and put in in my NAS as my blu ray player broke. is there a way i can play the bdmv files ?? i dont want to lose the extras and the menu functionality. will kodi work for remote playing from the NAS ?? i know that this isnt possible from plex. is there any other way apart from physically connecting a storage medium to the tv or the nvidia shield pro

1 hour ago, whispous said:

Are you actually ripping the Blurays or are you just copying the files from the discs?

copying. i dont want to convert the dual layer dolby vision files into single layer ones like makemkv does. Also it would be great if there was blu ray menu functionality. Its probably worth mentioning that these are all 4K blu rays.\

I was able to find this thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360250 if it helps.

Just copying the files from the disc leaves you with completely useless data as those are encrypted, nothing will be able to read them.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Just copying the files from the disc leaves you with completely useless data as those are encrypted, nothing will be able to read them.

so what do you suggest i do ?? I dont want to lose the FEL DV layer and i want to retain menu's. Is there any way possible ??

There is but with specific hardware, and discussing those solutions is against this forum's rules.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

There is but with specific hardware, and discussing those solutions is against this forum's rules.

ok. how about this ?? can i buy a USB blu ray player, connect it to the nvidia shield ?? will that work or will the shield not be able to read it ??

I don't know if the shield has built-in Blu-ray player software or something 3rd-party is available, but I'd really doubt so.

F@H

GPD Win 2

I rip my Blu-ray and UHD discs to my NAS so I can enjoy full bitrate playback and love those extras.  My current flavor of playback device is a Ziddo unit.  Tons of choices out their but most are all variations of Android boxes.  I wish my old Popcorn Hour c200 could play 4k content, that thing is a tank.  To get the blu-ray/UHD disc ISO files is simple enough with the right software.  The hardware for doing UHD disks is a bit trickier but nothing some googling and a trip to eBay couldn't solve.  Just be ready to eat up that space.  My 12 disc Synology is 120TB and is about 60% full I believe.  One thing that is a bit annoying is the delay in dealing with new releases.  For UHD stuff it can take a bit of time before the software solution catches up to the encryption used on the disc.  Currently have the new release of Barbarella in 4k waiting to be ripped to ISO format...  🙂

But I'm just talking out my ass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 2:38 AM, aggie113 said:

I rip my Blu-ray and UHD discs to my NAS so I can enjoy full bitrate playback and love those extras.  My current flavor of playback device is a Ziddo unit.  Tons of choices out their but most are all variations of Android boxes.  I wish my old Popcorn Hour c200 could play 4k content, that thing is a tank.  To get the blu-ray/UHD disc ISO files is simple enough with the right software.  The hardware for doing UHD disks is a bit trickier but nothing some googling and a trip to eBay couldn't solve.  Just be ready to eat up that space.  My 12 disc Synology is 120TB and is about 60% full I believe.  One thing that is a bit annoying is the delay in dealing with new releases.  For UHD stuff it can take a bit of time before the software solution catches up to the encryption used on the disc.  Currently have the new release of Barbarella in 4k waiting to be ripped to ISO format...  🙂

sorry for the late response. last i read though the zidoo wasnt able to do blu ray menu's properly and had a lot of bugs that were yet to be ironed out. Is this still true ?? also will you be able to watch/record cable tv on it ??

I have about a thousand blu ray ISOs on my NAS and I've found very few that can stump it.  Also, when selecting the ISO it will give you the option of just playing the movie if you don't want to bother with the menu.  I normally do in order to play the special features.  Some folks complain about the movie organizer features but I don't use those at all so don't keep track of the state of it.  I don't store anything on my Zidoo locally.  It does have an HDMI in port but I've never tried to use it as it's been years since I've had cable TV.

But I'm just talking out my ass.