anyone can reccomend a better cooler or is this the best air cooler out

koolj12
12 minutes ago, koolj12 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8LLJgB 

pretty set with everything just wondering about the cooler

thx

nothing can really beat Thermal Alright's PA 120.

They are the best cooler in GN's listings too.

Only reason you don't pick them is if you are running something stupid like a 14900k or more RGB  (which I DID, jumped on a DeepCool LT720 360mm AIO on sale instead)

Well it's the best according to Toms Hardware.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

But, benchmarks shows it's about on par with the Noctua NH-D15, but can be louder overall.

For pure gaming though, NH-D15 is better overall by achieving lower temperatures while being quieter.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.897f50bee1319a69683c6c3cb8aa2445.png

Overall though, they all basically have the same result as far as framerate goes and the Assassin is basically on par. Go with whichever is more pleasing to you or cheaper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

35 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

But, benchmarks shows it's about on par with the Noctua NH-D15, but can be louder overall.

For pure gaming though, NH-D15 is better overall by achieving lower temperatures while being quieter.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall though, they all basically have the same result as far as framerate goes and the Assassin is basically on par. Go with whichever is more pleasing to you or cheaper.

From what I've gathered, the NH-D15 is better on older AM4 and LGA1200 sockets, but inferior to the TR PE and several others on new AM5 and LGA1700 due to cooler (old) design

TR PE120 isn't the absolute best but trade blow with all other new twin tower coolers like the AK620, DR5 etc

But it's from far the cheapest with an unbeatable price/perf 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

PA120 is not Thermalright's best cooler. PS120, and FC140 are better.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

4 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

nothing can really beat Thermal Alright's PA 120.

They are the best cooler in GN's listings too.

Only reason you don't pick them is if you are running something stupid like a 14900k or more RGB  (which I DID, jumped on a DeepCool LT720 360mm AIO on sale instead)

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Reveal hidden contents

Um...No, it's not the best air cooler. If you lost carefully to Steve in the "Champ" video, he does indicate that. Is it a bad cooler? Nope. Just not the best. Multiple reviewers have demonstrated this. 

From TR alone there are at least 2 that are better: FC140 and PS120, although the difference isn't huge. Then there's the DC AK620 & Assassin IV, the bq! DRP4/5 and the Assassin they released with the 5 (although they aren't worth the money imho), and a few others. On par with the PA120 is the Montech Metal D24, which I only know about because I bought one and just watched a video comparing it to the PS120. There are others, of course, but my knowledge and memory aren't encyclopedic. 😉 At high temps, the D15 is better although several coolers now require a contact or offset ILM to ensure the best results, especially for the last 2 generations of CPUs. Even the U12A makes an excellent choice. Most coolers will perform better if you upgrade the fans by using, for example, the Phanteks T30 120mm or the Noctua A14 iPPC-3000 140.

Unfortunately, some companies are opting to use proprietary designs for cooler, fan and plugs in an attempt to hold customers captive in their ecosystem. The Assassin IV'S middle fan is unique, and many companies refuse to use the standard plugs for RGB, ARGB, and PWM. 

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

TR PE120

My friend ...PS120. 😆 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

The biggest factor to consider when air cooling is case flow. If you can feed the cooler as much cool air as an AIO would get, you will be in good shape depending on what you chose for a cooler.. because I am not saying that a 212 will have the same chance with a high heat load compared to any high end cooler.. there are limits 😄

If you are exhausting through your AIO.. well I cant help you there.. that is not how they are meant to be used 🙂

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Um...No, it's not the best air cooler. If you lost carefully to Steve in the "Champ" video, he does indicate that. Is it a bad cooler? Nope. Just not the best. Multiple reviewers have demonstrated this. 

From TR alone there are at least 2 that are better: FC140 and PS120, although the difference isn't huge. Then there's the DC AK620 & Assassin IV, the bq! DRP4/5 and the Assassin they released with the 5 (although they aren't worth the money imho), and a few others. On par with the PA120 is the Montech Metal D24, which I only know about because I bought one and just watched a video comparing it to the PS120. There are others, of course, but my knowledge and memory aren't encyclopedic. 😉 At high temps, the D15 is better although several coolers now require a contact or offset ILM to ensure the best results, especially for the last 2 generations of CPUs. Even the U12A makes an excellent choice. Most coolers will perform better if you upgrade the fans by using, for example, the Phanteks T30 120mm or the Noctua A14 iPPC-3000 140.

Unfortunately, some companies are opting to use proprietary designs for cooler, fan and plugs in an attempt to hold customers captive in their ecosystem. The Assassin IV'S middle fan is unique, and many companies refuse to use the standard plugs for RGB, ARGB, and PWM. 

My friend ...PS120. 😆 

Typo meant PA120 😂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Typo meant PA120 😂

so the pa is better than the ps?

1 hour ago, koolj12 said:

so the pa is better than the ps?

No. PA is rated for 260w, PS120SE is rated for 280w.

21 hours ago, RevGAM said:

My friend ...PS120. 😆 

Let me correct my "Best" to "One of the best".

To be honest... nothing is "the best". Use CPU cooler for example... Noise? Performance? Price? One can't simply take all 3

So, is PA120 absolutely "the best"?

Of course not.

When considering their price?

Of course YES. The FC/PA/PS's price are just unbeatable, unfortunately I only able to reliable find PA120 at good price. So generally it would be "the best".

FC140/PS120 have some ridiculous pricing in some region reason, and out-right unavailable in others...

12 hours ago, koolj12 said:

so ps it is. thank you

The 20W won't have a meaningful difference, go with which ever you feel/look better (e.g. having a bit RGB) or whichever one you feel worth the money.

2 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

When considering their price?

Of course YES. The FC/PA/PS's price are just unbeatable, unfortunately I only able to reliable find PA120 at good price. So generally it would be "the best".

FC140/PS120 have some ridiculous pricing in some region reason, and out-right unavailable in others...

I'm just suggesting Thermalright FC140 or FS140 to fill in your big case with something slightly bigger than the PA/PS. Depends how you want to things to look, but you really do have to check the price for your region.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W