CryTek On Consoles "8 gigs can easily be filled up"

Star Citizen, The Division and The Witcher 3 will all have 8GB minimum RAM requirements on PC. With tangible benefits of having more. This is not shocking, everyone who's been around for a few generational shifts know that old RAM standard amounts is the first thing to get obsoleted.

Can't wait for modded Elder Scrolls 6 to use upwards of 24GB of RAM. Shit'll be glorious.

Modded Skyrim doesn't use that much system memory actually, usually hovering around 4 gigs of total usage. But it does eat up a LOT of GPU VRAM.

LOL consoles are garbage

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

but for ~100 you get 32GB of RAM.

Where ever you live, I must move to if RAM is that cheap.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

But it can also be easily filled on PC

I dont get the point youre trying to make. Please explain.

8gb ram isnt enough of course its not a problem on pc because we can upgrade, consoles cant being major bottleneck, now that games are using more ram due to the lowest denominator(ps3 and 360) that might become a problem, devs are looking for more resources to use and the it seems ram is the first issue they run into remember that of that 8gb not all of it can be used, pcs normally have 2-3gb used up but the consoles use a low more for some reason.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

And isn't the Xbox One's Ram just DDR3? THey will run out of bandwith and general space so quickly. I'm runnning 10gb on my main rig and a normal game uses ~2GB of DDR3 and also almost fills my 2GB of VRAM. Considering the new consoles are x86 they can quickly make more demanding games, and the pc can grow with the games, while the consoles are stuck, unless the new iteration of consoles comes in like 2 years, when DDR4 is becoming the new standard for PC gaming, with that fancy 3D memory (HBM?) on the GPU.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Modded Skyrim doesn't use that much system memory actually, usually hovering around 4 gigs of total usage. But it does eat up a LOT of GPU VRAM.

Right, notice that I'm talking about the next Elder Scrolls.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

And isn't the Xbox One's Ram just DDR3? THey will run out of bandwith and general space so quickly. I'm runnning 10gb on my main rig and a normal game uses ~2GB of DDR3 and also almost fills my 2GB of VRAM. Considering the new consoles are x86 they can quickly make more demanding games, and the pc can grow with the games, while the consoles are stuck, unless the new iteration of consoles comes in like 2 years, when DDR4 is becoming the new standard for PC gaming, with that fancy 3D memory (HBM?) on the GPU.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure XB1's ram is DDR3.

And it sucks that the consoles are going to be limited by their RAM and there's no way to replace the RAM, but for "being limited", I think the games look really good still and are much more advanced than PS3/360. It just seems limited compared to PCs.

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure XB1's ram is DDR3.

And it sucks that the consoles are going to be limited by their RAM and there's no way to replace the RAM, but for "being limited", I think the games look really good still and are much more advanced than PS3/360. It just seems limited compared to PCs.

I agree completely. They certainly are much better than before, a lot better, but it is still mostly sub par compaired to pc.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It's funny how a lot of people keep recommending expensive graphics cards that only have 2GB of memory and say that 2GB is totally fine for 1080p when in fact developers are already maxing out all of the consoles' memory and on resolutions below 1080p.

Maybe it's because the memory is shared between the GPU and CPU so you don't actually get anywhere near 8GB of RAM it's probably more like 5GB which is not that much. My GPU has 4GB of memory and it maxes out in Arma 3 but that game has scalable GPU algorithms or something so it will take up that VRAM for other tasks not just for textures. I haven't played the game in a while though so don't quote me on that. That was during Alpha and Beta. Also I am guessing PC devs make their games available as well when they introduce settings in the game like texture quality. Each setting increment will increase hardware dependency like how much RAM the game will use and how much VRAM the game will use. Plus the so called next-gen consoles have really really weak hardware. I am not surprised they can't run games at 60fps at 1080p because APU's can't do that. It may also have something to do with cache's running out, I know that on the XBone the HSA has a capacity of 32MB which is not enough to store enough high resolution textures or nothing much for very long. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

People need to stop comparing consoles to PC, they are closed system but it's not all about ram. Devs will use the system memory more and more efficiently over the lifecycle, just look at games like Driveclub when looking for games that shine on consoles (don't come with Project Cars as that's not really a competition to the LOD and Real Time GI of Driveclub). They are not that strong, that's true, but consoles are about easygoing gaming, everything you throw in there usually works and for what you get considering the price (399 for both), they're quite good at what they're doing.

Before the developers run into memory issues (I'm talkint about GDDR 5 on PS4 as Microsoft chose a pretty fu**ed up solution in my opinion (which will be more efficient in the upcoming years too, I recently read an article about that)) they'll run into GPU and CPU limitations. After all, the cool thing about the unified RAM in both consoles is that devs can chose how they want to allocate their memory, as soon as there is more than 6GB available to them they can use like 4 and 5 for the GPU alone, after proper game optimization (scrapping/adding until they got the right performance to visual ratio) the game itself likely won't need more than 2GB for the CPU.

I'm not a console fanboy but it's hard to discuss these things on a PC forum.

144Hz goodness

it reminds of how much i love and appreciate my Rig :wub: :D

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

i was a console gamer not so much now and for ......they really screwed the pooch with this gen it seams like they cared more about the money than the product. previous consoles are know to have lost there ceraters money on every sale in the early days but they were decent for the most part......these feel much more like .5 updates than sequals....like hardware DLC

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

With how much money both Sony & Microsoft lost last gen (7th) can you really blame them for wanting to go cheaper and lose even less per console, this time 'round?  Anyway . . . . sounds like even with a terabyte of VRAM and system RAM Crytek wouldn't be happy.

It's funny how a lot of people keep recommending expensive graphics cards that only have 2GB of memory and say that 2GB is totally fine for 1080p when in fact developers are already maxing out all of the consoles' memory and on resolutions below 1080p.

System RAM and video RAM are two different things. Once VRAM fills up they can offload assets into system RAM then transfer it into VRAM when its actually needed. Most graphics cards are coming with more than 2 GB now anyway. R9 280 and 280X come with 3 GB, 290 and 290X come with 4 GB. GTX 770 comes in a 4 GB variant, you can get a GTX 780 in a 6 GB model, and 780Ti is 3 GB.

Also with graphics cards all the VRAM is strictly for video where with the consoles the RAM is for the total system including OS and all background tasks.

Its also speculated that the GTX 880 will come with 4 GB standard VRAM.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

can it play crysis 4?  :P metro ll has trumped crysis for now

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

8GB CAN easily be filled with bad and unoptimized code. The point is to optimize the code so it can run on it.

If Uncharted, Metal Gear 5 and the Last of Us could manage on 512mb ram then the next gen games should be able to manage on 8GB.

And what's funny is that a couple of years ago Crytek were saying they hope next gen has a min 8 gigs.

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/news-ps3/crytek-next-gen-8gb-ram.html

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

I agree completely. They certainly are much better than before, a lot better, but it is still mostly sub par compaired to pc.

Yeah, main problem is that people always expect too much out of consoles. They are substantially, and I mean SUBSTANTIALLY, cheaper than most gaming PCs, so why expect such performance. Plus, for their price they do the job very well.

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Not a problem...8GB is just a number.

But it can also be easily filled on PC

I dont get the point youre trying to make. Please explain.

pc has vram and ram. On a mid spec system ud have a 280 with 3gb of vram and 8gb of system ram. that's 11gb on a mid end system today. imagine in 8 years

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I think this is just going to point out that unless Microsoft and Sony want to lose a substantial amount of users, the consoles this time round will have to have a substantially shorter lifespan, even now the consoles are being scaled back in order to perform to specification (WatchDogs *cough cough*), and even though it is a trend that PC is sticks a head by a fair margin, I think the gap is going to grow faster than ever and soon the difference is going to be massive. So unless new consoles are released in 4-6 years time, people are going to gravitate towards PC, whether it's in the traditional form or as a SteamBox / whatever other equivalent exists at the time. 

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Didn't Crytek complain about consoles not having 8 GB RAM during the last gen? Yeah great, once the new consoles come out with 10 GB to 16 GB DDR4 RAM, I can't wait for Crytek to say, "16 GB DDR4 is too little, we need consoles with 64 GB DDR7 for games to barely run at 30 FPS at 1440p". Yes, skip not one, not two, but three generations memory and have about 4 times the previous amount for games to barely run. Meanwhile, I'll wait and play games from whatever developer that makes whatever game that interests me on whatever system. 

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Anyway . . . . sounds like even with a terabyte of VRAM and system RAM Crytek wouldn't be happy.

Didn't Crytek complain about consoles not having 8 GB RAM during the last gen? Yeah great, once the new consoles come out with 10 GB to 16 GB DDR4 RAM, I can't wait for Crytek to say, "16 GB DDR4 is too little, we need consoles with 64 GB DDR7 for games to barely run at 30 FPS at 1440p". Yes, skip not one, not two, but three generations memory and have about 4 times the previous amount for games to barely run. Meanwhile, I'll wait and play games from whatever developer that makes whatever game that interests me on whatever system. 

Anyway . . . . sounds like even with a terabyte of VRAM and system RAM Crytek wouldn't be happy.

Crytek's that kind of company that does nothing, but complain when it comes to giving out news and stuff. "We hate how nobody has 100 TB drives. Oh, by the way, we're making Crysis 4."

Add EA and Activision basically not giving a damn about consumers and only caring about money. "We're making the next big shooter! It'll be a blast! And by the way, if you want to have everything, buy the Super Ultra Patented Mega Optimus Pass Edition of the game for $199.99! Regular editions are sold at $69.99. Also, the next bigger shooter will come out the year after!"

And CD Projekt Red: "Here's the game and everything. We mean everything. No, we're not kidding. No charges. No DLC. No passes. No, this is not a scam. It's - no, everything is included right off the bat. This is how games were - No, no pre-order locked stuff either. Games were - yes, the horse armor is included. Back then ga - yes, Geralt's hair can be changed as part of the game for free. We're trying to say tha - YES! You can do all the women you want. IN FACT YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT! WE'LL ADD THAT AND CALL IT 'POLISHING' THE GAME! HAHAHAHA POLISH JOKES! NOW, SHUT UP THE HELL UP AND LET US EXPLAIN! BACK THEN GAMES CAME WITH EVERYTHING: ACHIEVEMENTS, EASTER EGGS, SPECIAL MISSIONS, MOD KITS, AND ALL THAT CRAP! WE WANT TO RECREATE AND MAKE THAT COME BACK! ... *sighs* Yes, you can save the game without having to pay for save slots..."

At Valve: "RAISINZ!@)#*(@!

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |