Help needed. CPU upgrade gone wrong.

Polar180

I ran into a problem when trying to install a new amd cpu yesterday. I first installed the new cpu with no issues. Then once installed booted up the pc and realized I needed a bios update. So I flashed my bios and updated it. Then I tried to boot my pc and it would start up but I had no display. So I went through all of those troubleshooting steps and nothing worked. Now today I decided to just put in the old cpu to try and make sure all the components still worked and that it was in fact a cpu issue. After installing the old cpu I then tried to turn on my computer and nothing. I tried jump starting it and nothing. Everything is plugged in all the way and properly and nothing seems to turn on at all. So any help is appreciated as to what my options are. 

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

How would I do that? Can I even do that when nothing powers on at all? No fans spin nothing.

yes remove the battery, and the psu power cable and press the case start button a few times to get rid of resdue electricity, i'd then start pc without battery back in see if it boots up..but if you are getting no life at all..i.e no fan spin/lights then probably not a bios issue?

1 minute ago, aledsav1 said:

yes remove the battery, and the psu power cable and press the case start button a few times to get rid of resdue electricity, i'd then start pc without battery back in see if it boots up..but if you are getting no life at all..i.e no fan spin/lights then probably not a bios issue?

Yeah no I flashed my bios so it is compatible. Should I still try the battery to see if that will do anything?

give it a go, but if theres no power at all its probably something else though pcs can behave odd so try the battery, I would also just remove the 24pin going into motherboard and replug sometimes the psu can go into protect mode and not switch on until its cleared, removing power cable from psu and 24 pin should clear that mode if its gone into it..so try that first

18 minutes ago, Polar180 said:

How would I do that? Can I even do that when nothing powers on at all? No fans spin nothing.

basically you power off your PC, unplug from the main. Remove the motherboard battery and use a screw driver for example to ‘short’ the pins. 

video for guide 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

24 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

give it a go, but if theres no power at all its probably something else though pcs can behave odd so try the battery, I would also just remove the 24pin going into motherboard and replug sometimes the psu can go into protect mode and not switch on until its cleared, removing power cable from psu and 24 pin should clear that mode if its gone into it..so try that first

Unplug and replug did not work

24 minutes ago, Polar180 said:

Unplug and replug did not work

Just rereading the thread - is your PSU switch ON? 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Just rereading the thread - is your PSU switch ON? 

Yes.

Just now, Polar180 said:

Yes.

Okay. It’s a silly thing that happens to all of us! 

have you tried the cmos reset I sent you in prior message?

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Okay. It’s a silly thing that happens to all of us! 

have you tried the cmos reset I sent you in prior message?

I have not done that yet and it’s a bit late so I probably won’t tonight. But I will be happy to try it tomorrow. If that doesn’t work what is your next recommendation?

did you unplug both the psu from wall and the 24 pin from motherboard? and then press pc power button? if theres no power after you try that, then either your psu has died, or there is a component in your system that is causing a short...since it is only the cpu you have changed have you checked that the cpu pins are not damaged?

did you unplug plug your graphcis card when you changed cpu?

check ram are installed ok

if nothing works I would remove everything and build outside of case on cardboard using only minimum to get working, board/cpu/psu 1 stick of ram, nothing else connected to pc at all, short power sw pins with screw driver to test

1 hour ago, Polar180 said:

I have not done that yet and it’s a bit late so I probably won’t tonight. But I will be happy to try it tomorrow. If that doesn’t work what is your next recommendation?

Well, if that does not work and there is still no power, then I believe your PSU may be at fault. 

what PSU do you have? What is your system setup? And how old is the PSU?

20 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

did you unplug both the psu from wall and the 24 pin from motherboard? and then press pc power button? if theres no power after you try that, then either your psu has died, or there is a component in your system that is causing a short...since it is only the cpu you have changed have you checked that the cpu pins are not damaged?

did you unplug plug your graphcis card when you changed cpu?

check ram are installed ok

if nothing works I would remove everything and build outside of case on cardboard using only minimum to get working, board/cpu/psu 1 stick of ram, nothing else connected to pc at all, short power sw pins with screw driver to test

Just cleared cmos and nothing happened so I’m now going to try just starting the computer with the bare bones components. I unplugged the ram and the gpu when changing the cpu. I also re seated my ram when changing the cpu. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:46 PM, Polar180 said:

I ran into a problem when trying to install a new amd cpu yesterday. I first installed the new cpu with no issues. Then once installed booted up the pc and realized I needed a bios update. So I flashed my bios and updated it. Then I tried to boot my pc and it would start up but I had no display. So I went through all of those troubleshooting steps and nothing worked. Now today I decided to just put in the old cpu to try and make sure all the components still worked and that it was in fact a cpu issue. After installing the old cpu I then tried to turn on my computer and nothing. I tried jump starting it and nothing. Everything is plugged in all the way and properly and nothing seems to turn on at all. So any help is appreciated as to what my options are. 

Please post your system specifications. As mentioned here.

If I had to take a random guess, you've swapped generations of AMD CPUs, from Zen 1/2 to Zen 3. You may need to downgrade the UEFI etc... but I'm completely guessing without specs.

CDN media

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

On 11/28/2023 at 11:03 PM, problemsolver said:

Please post your system specifications. As mentioned here.

If I had to take a random guess, you've swapped generations of AMD CPUs, from Zen 1/2 to Zen 3. You may need to downgrade the UEFI etc... but I'm completely guessing without specs.

CDN media

So my new specs are a nvidia 1660ti, ryzen 7 5800x, msi b550 pro vdh wifi micro atx motherboard, and 2 sticks of 8gb of ddr4 3600 ram. The only thing that changed was the cpu. It was previously a ryzen 5 3600. When I updated my bios I updated it to the latest stable version. 

Edited by Polar180

This sounds like the flash didn’t complete / was corrupted and your motherboard is bricked. You should be getting some sign of life on pressing power button.

Try to re-do the flash first and see if that changes things.

Re-download the bios, don’t use the one you used last time. Preferably a different usb stick too.

You can test the psu with the paperclip test:

IMG_2546.png

Thanks for the system specs. So, tto sort out this thread for clarification and a good reference, here's what I've gleaned so far:

Specs:

Symptoms:

• Upgraded CPU, updated UEFI, computer no longer turns on
  • Tried downgrading CPU back to old CPU, computer still doesn't turn on
  • Computer currently shows no evidence of power: no fans spin, no lights illuminate, and no sounds are made

Things you've tried:

I agree with @Whatisthis that you should verify that your PSU is working. First, you might want to ensure everything is truly plugged in all the way, and that the rocker switch on your PSU didn't get flipped accidentally. Double-check that all your motherboard standoffs are still in place and the screws are attached to ensure there's no shorting happening.

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

4 hours ago, problemsolver said:

Thanks for the system specs. So, tto sort out this thread for clarification and a good reference, here's what I've gleaned so far:

Specs:

Symptoms:

• Upgraded CPU, updated UEFI, computer no longer turns on
  • Tried downgrading CPU back to old CPU, computer still doesn't turn on
  • Computer currently shows no evidence of power: no fans spin, no lights illuminate, and no sounds are made

Things you've tried:

I agree with @Whatisthis that you should verify that your PSU is working. First, you might want to ensure everything is truly plugged in all the way, and that the rocker switch on your PSU didn't get flipped accidentally. Double-check that all your motherboard standoffs are still in place and the screws are attached to ensure there's no shorting happening.

Psu is a enermax 750w revolution df 80+ gold efficiency. I’ve been super busy but will be trying the psu test tonight to ensure it’s not a dead psu. If it is not a dead psu and I bricked my motherboard, what would be a mother board that comes with the bios I need to run my new cpu?

1 hour ago, Polar180 said:

Psu is a enermax 750w revolution df 80+ gold efficiency. I’ve been super busy but will be trying the psu test tonight to ensure it’s not a dead psu. If it is not a dead psu and I bricked my motherboard, what would be a mother board that comes with the bios I need to run my new cpu?

Okay so the psu is working I just did the trick with the paper clip and the fan spun so that means it’s working? So now I wonder if it’s possible that the old cpu( the one currently in the computer) is causing the power to the motherboard to short at all. That is as long as the motherboard isn’t bricked. What do yall feel is the next step of action?

ok so if there is still no power at all showing on the board (no fan spin?) then unplug just the 3/8 pin cpu power and see if the board shows any signs of life..if it does then you know the cpu power (cpu socket power) is the issue, which would likely mean the board is borked.

you have checked all the pins on both cpus and you def have the power switch on the front panel connected?

7 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

ok so if there is still no power at all showing on the board (no fan spin?) then unplug just the 3/8 pin cpu power and see if the board shows any signs of life..if it does then you know the cpu power (cpu socket power) is the issue, which would likely mean the board is borked.

you have checked all the pins on both cpus and you def have the power switch on the front panel connected?

Yes I have checked the power switch on the front panel connector. I have not checked the cpu pins of the cpu that is in the computer right now because obviously it’s in the computer, but all looked good before I put it in. I was thinking maybe I would put in the new cpu and see if for some reason the pc comes to life? But then again I would much rather check the motherboard itself first as that is beloved to be the issue.

On 12/1/2023 at 4:43 AM, Polar180 said:

Yes I have checked the power switch on the front panel connector. I have not checked the cpu pins of the cpu that is in the computer right now because obviously it’s in the computer, but all looked good before I put it in. I was thinking maybe I would put in the new cpu and see if for some reason the pc comes to life? But then again I would much rather check the motherboard itself first as that is beloved to be the issue.

Anyone?

? you mention putting in the new cpu..surely you've already done that, or do you have another new cpu, I am now confused.

did you remove the 8/4 pin power cabel from the board as i suggested to see if the board then shows any sign of life?