Help needed. CPU upgrade gone wrong.

Polar180

you have to check the cpu pins..as they may have been damaged when you installed...it seems you are not following suggests, if that is the case then there is no way to help you, as I/we will be wasting our time suggesting ways to trouble shoot that you then do not do.

so if there is no power showing on the motherboard there is only 3/4 possibilites

the psu is not working

the motherboard is not working 

the cables/power switch wires are not correct

the cpu has a fault and is creating a short stopping the board powering on

this is why, you check the cables and wires

you check the cpu pins

you unplug the 8/4 pin from the board and see if there is then any life on the board, if there is then you know it is either the cpu or the 8/4 pin power on the board stopping it working

3 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

? you mention putting in the new cpu..surely you've already done that, or do you have another new cpu, I am now confused.

did you remove the 8/4 pin power cabel from the board as i suggested to see if the board then shows any sign of life?

I’m going to check the motherboard first before I put in the new cpu. To do this would I only plug in the 24 pin to the mobo and then try to start it with a screwdriver? Or what are the steps to do that?

Just now, Polar180 said:

I’m going to check the motherboard first before I put in the new cpu. To do this would I only plug in the 24 pin to the mobo and then try to start it with a screwdriver? Or what are the steps to do that?

Okay disregard this message I’m going to check the pins and do all that you suggested. I’m following suggestions. I have not worked on it in about 2 days due to having no time. The psu is working I already tested it with a paper clip so that’s a ruled out possibility.

3 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

you have to check the cpu pins..as they may have been damaged when you installed...it seems you are not following suggests, if that is the case then there is no way to help you, as I/we will be wasting our time suggesting ways to trouble shoot that you then do not do.

so if there is no power showing on the motherboard there is only 3/4 possibilites

the psu is not working

the motherboard is not working 

the cables/power switch wires are not correct

the cpu has a fault and is creating a short stopping the board powering on

this is why, you check the cables and wires

you check the cpu pins

you unplug the 8/4 pin from the board and see if there is then any life on the board, if there is then you know it is either the cpu or the 8/4 pin power on the board stopping it working

Okay I checked the pins on the cpu that was in the mobo when it wasn’t working and none were bent. I put in the new cpu and I am still getting no signs of life. I unplugged everything other then the 24 pin and I still have no power.

43 minutes ago, Polar180 said:

Okay I checked the pins on the cpu that was in the mobo when it wasn’t working and none were bent. I put in the new cpu and I am still getting no signs of life. I unplugged everything other than the 24 pin and I still have no power.The only sign of life I have seen since everything went dark was when I pressed the bios flashback the red button flashed but that’s the only thing that lights up.

ok so I think you have exhausted your trouble shooting that can be done..

the only thing you can really do to hope to find the issue is either have a friend who has other pc that you can test your parts with (cross reference)

or take to a pc shop and ask them to test part

it is odd that you cannot see any power in the board at all..so for me suggests the board is dead completely or the psu is dead completely..so I would be trying with other board or other psu

If you have bios flashback try that otherwise if the board is still under warranty RMA it.  It seems like a power loss during a bios update, that board isn't coming back without about $20 in bios flashing hardware and a lot of know-how.

cant read through the whole thread again..your board has a bios flash back button on the rear, if you havent tried it then maybe worth at least sticking the usb with a bios on it in the correct usb port and hitting the button as per manual instructions...long shot but might as well try it..i'd be inclined to remove everything cpu ram etc and just have the board plugged into to psu power and flashback

16 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

cant read through the whole thread again..your board has a bios flash back button on the rear, if you havent tried it then maybe worth at least sticking the usb with a bios on it in the correct usb port and hitting the button as per manual instructions...long shot but might as well try it..i'd be inclined to remove everything cpu ram etc and just have the board plugged into to psu power and flashback

Yeah I originally did the bios flashback but figured since that was the only button that lit up, I would try it again. The flashback flashed red a few times, my usb stick showed that it was being read and then it didn’t do anything. The flashback button light turned off and so did the light on the usb. I think I’m going to see if I can get a warranty return or something on the board somehow and use a new one.

the flash back can take some time to do, I would do it again and leave it for 20 mins or so, then test...or jsut go for a new board?)

57 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

the flash back can take some time to do, I would do it again and leave it for 20 mins or so, then test...or jsut go for a new board?)

I’ll try the bios flashback 1 more time tomorrow. Assuming it doesn’t work what is your personal recommendation for a new board for me. Just something under $200 usd.