Speaker recomendation for a 5.1 home theater.

FHK

Hi.

Im looking for some good speakers and a sub for a receiver im thinking of buying ( it's the Sony STR-DH790)
I probably won't hear the difference between a 1000$ speaker and a 500$ speaker but I still wan't good audio normal people can hear are good and have an amazing time watching movies.

Thanks in advance.

when it comes to surround speakers, your left, right and center are the most important and most used. then the sub. your surrounds or rears or atmos are more ambiance
there are a lot ways you can go.

and yes there is a difference between cheap speakers and good speakers
but.....also avr is important

all honesty start small...get a good avr. yamaha or denon will keep you at a decent price point and they have pretty good avr's

then grab you some good bookshelf or towers. (some have atmos throw speakers on them)

then a good center
then a sub
once you have this set up you can look for and decide what surrounds you want

7 hours ago, circeseye said:

when it comes to surround speakers, your left, right and center are the most important and most used. then the sub. your surrounds or rears or atmos are more ambiance
there are a lot ways you can go.

and yes there is a difference between cheap speakers and good speakers
but.....also avr is important

all honesty start small...get a good avr. yamaha or denon will keep you at a decent price point and they have pretty good avr's

then grab you some good bookshelf or towers. (some have atmos throw speakers on them)

then a good center
then a sub
once you have this set up you can look for and decide what surrounds you want

Okay thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have always favored buying used Polk speakers for my home theater setup.  Over time I just got nicer versions.  Currently running Polk LSi15/LSiC/LSi9.  Just be sure to give a test listen to make sure nothing is blown.  If you want new then Polk is also a great bang for your buck company and can also recommend SVSound for both speakers and certainly for Subwoofers.  Multitude of choices out their and if you don't know what you want I'd suggest trying to find an audio shop that has a good listening room to try out various choices.  Be sure to get something that matches up with your AV receiver as well.  Not everything can be driven (powered) by all models.  For example, the LSi setup I have can take a good bit of power so I have a seperate amp to provide them with juice.

But I'm just talking out my ass.